Would anybody be interested in this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anybody be interested in this?

I'm seriously considering making a MP only scenario based on the naval aspects of the Napoleonic Wars (using the same map as 'The Cruel Sea')
    As the scenario is going to be designed for human play only, I won't need to do many events or much testing and I can *probably* produce a finished product in a week or two.

I'm thinking of including the following Civs:

*England
    *France
    *Spain
    *Russia
    *The United States (war of 1812, etc)
    *The Ottoman Empire
    *Sweden (which will include Denmark & maybe Prussia)
    *Barbarians representing slavers and various pirate organistations

Would anyone be interested in playing this?

As I'm yet to reach a stage where I can produce screenshots, here's the picture I'm thinking of using as the scenario's title picture

'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Re: Would anybody be interested in this?

is a really good idea

there is an important lack of napoleonic scenarios and it would be interesting to play a mp in the sea,

because cruel sea wasn´t suit for multiplayer, was it?
    Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
    Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
    miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Sounds really good

I especially like your choice of civs, theres quite a bit of variety in there. Put me down for the first PBEM of this one

Comment

It sounds great! I don't think there's ever been a MP Napoleonic scenario before. That would be interesting to play.
        Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Sweden is mine!

In a future pbem, I want sweden!
          (one thing though, denmark fought with napoleon, sweden fought against, isnt that going to be a problem?).
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Yea, i love Napoleon Scenarios, I'll take Britian... Rule Britiania!!

Sorry But 'DEATH TO THE EMPERPOR'- yells crowds of British
            "Whoever wants peace, be prepared for war"- Soundwave

Comment

hmm, I think that it's a bit early to start chosing sides (anyway i want Britain )

Henrik: thanks for that - I'll lump Denmark in with France (like the Netherlands). During the Napolionic wars most nations swapped sides as the war ebbed and flowed, so it's a bit tricky to set this stuff up.

Here's how I'm planning for the scenario to work: (any sugestions would be very welcome)

Britain is facing the threat of invasion, yet her cities have very low production and Britain faces cash flow problems.
              As a result the French have to intercept British cargo ships coming from India and the America's, and prevent Britain trading with Europe. Simultaneously the French must protect their Caribean possesions and try to mount an invasion of Britain (I'm going to include some land forces this time)

Other civs can help or hinder Britain as they see fit.

BTW, does anybody have a tech tree with all the techs prerequisites set to nil, nil? I've copied over mine
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Is this going to be historically accurate? I can see some serious play-balance issues if so - especially for multi-play.
                If you're including ground actions but don't want settler-type units founding cities all over the place you could have problems with cities being destroyed, especially in central areas such as France/Prussia. One thing you could try in order to prevent this is keeping all offensive unit strengths relatively low to prevent major continental city-swapping (ie: basically require naval bombardment to kill off defensive units before invading - I don't think cities lose pop to naval actions? ).

Also if transport-types could only carry a single ground unit this would give a big boost to the defenders and possibly allow them to retake cities quickly unless faced with a truly massive invasion force.

Featuring a bonus to gold for each caravan unit killed would fit in nicely with the increased emphasis on plunder in those times.

Comment

Ravagon, thanks for those sugestions

I'm planning that all ships will be submarines (ocean only units), with maybe a Bomb Ketch for coastal bombardments.
                  All continental cities will have extreamly tough defences to prevent their easy capture, but cities elsewhere (including Britain) will be lightly protected.
                  Sinking any ship will earn 'prize money' (which was awarded in those days to the entire ships crew)

Godd idea with the transports

Comment

Anything to help

Another point. Are you planning on creating British caravan/transport combo's from india or having the player build them? If created by events, caravans only have the first "hides" flag which wouldn't be a problem at the start of the scenario as civtweak (?) could set all of your cities demands to that first flag, but as you progress I think these still change so eventually you're going to have basically worthless caravans.
                    You might also want to have several event-created ship type units that have a high shield cost - to be used solely for disbanding in British cities for the shields (although then I suppose you'd need an incentive for the British player to actually move them to England rather than just disbanding them in Indian port cities ... Maybe the Indian cities aren't ports? ).

[Edit: Also, as the previous Cruel Sea scoring system wouldn't work too well you could try one based on a civ's gold. From round to round simply take a civ's gold total and subtract a certain value for each unit that civ has lost to any other civ. Of course that would probably cause evry other civ to gang up on the one that had taken the least losses... ]

Comment

I don't think there's ever been a MP Napoleonic scenario before
                      Anzac, have you played John Ellis' Bonaparte? You can get it on the same site where you got Hellas (Henrik left a link on the Pelopennesian War PBEM.)

This is one of my all time favourite scenarios, and I always thought it would be really good for MP, as all the civs are very playable. I was considering starting a PBEM of it after the American Empire PBEM got off the ground, but then I got involved in Hellas and this thread came up.

Case, I know your scen is naval centred, but if it does have much land campaigns, wouldn't you have to include Prussia and Austria?

I also think it'll be very interesing having the North American theatre. Will this scen start before Napoleon sold Louisiana?

Comment

More Denmark...

Originally posted by Case
                        Henrik: thanks for that - I'll lump Denmark in with France (like the Netherlands). During the Napolionic wars most nations swapped sides as the war ebbed and flowed, so it's a bit tricky to set this stuff up.
                        Actually the danes would be ideal as a wild card nation, but thats not possible with only 7 civs I guess, what happened was that the brittish with their usual diplomatical finesse demanded the danes to just give them thier entire fleet (denying it to Napoleon) in exchange for a vague prommise about them maybe getting it back, eventually...
                        The danes obviously refused, which resulted in the royal navy turning copenhagen to ashes (in the battle of the Copenhagen warfs, not sure of the english name though) which in turn made the previously neutral nation of Denmark an ally of France...

Annyway its ok to group it with napoleon I think (that or make it a barbarian nation), it will give me a good excuse to fight the old arch enemy

For events, what about capturing enemy ships?
                        That was done a lot back then as I recall (I've read lots of Hornblower ).

Comment

Re: More Denmark...

Originally posted by Henrik

which in turn made the previously neutral nation of Denmark an ally of France...
                          Yes, but it became a French ally without a fleet.

*Bars to Rule Brittania are heard in the background*

wrt capturing ships, can you use the ratio/chance (1 in 2, 1 in 10 etc) switch in this? Otherwise you'd always capture ships which would be rather unrealistic.

Actually, if every nation has an "India" (albeit to a lesser extent than Englands) in which caravans are created for ferrying to the mother-country, all captured units could be created (as cripples?) at the same point/city to reflect getting them back into service ...

Comment

Re: Re: More Denmark...

Originally posted by ravagon
                            wrt capturing ships, can you use the ratio/chance (1 in 2, 1 in 10 etc) switch in this? Otherwise you'd always capture ships which would be rather unrealistic.
                            No you can't which is a major problem
                            Possibly one could make several indistinguishable versions of the same ship, some of which become captured and some of which are sunk, but as I am guessing we will be allowed to build ships this wouldnt work very well...

Actually, if every nation has an "India" (albeit to a lesser extent than Englands) in which caravans are created for ferrying to the mother-country, all captured units could be created (as cripples?) at the same point/city to reflect getting them back into service ...
                            Sounds like a good idea, what would one do with the crippled unit once in europe though? We cannot magically transform it into a proper ship
                            Would that too be disbanded for shields?
                            That wouldnt make a lot of sence, first you transport a leaking wreck of a ship over a great ocean, only to tear it appart when you reach your destination

You could argue that what you do is to repair the ships when you disband it, the additional required shields being the actual repair work.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: More Denmark...

Originally posted by Henrik

Sounds like a good idea, what would one do with the crippled unit once in europe though? We cannot magically transform it into a proper ship
                              Ack! Sorry. I meant create a new ship with only a single hit point (or am I getting events mixed up with the scen editor?). This assumes that you don't have Naval ports everywhere so that you can repair it fully in a single turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X