A new(?) way of looking at things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new(?) way of looking at things

Well, I doubt that in the 5 year history of Civ 2 I'm the first to notice and take advandage of this, but here goes:

My 'amazing' discovery is that you can copy and paste the tech and units portions of rules.txt into a spreadsheet for easy editing. While this is hardly groundbreaking or even particularly useful (exept in making tech Trees from scratch), it does mean that someone with a little knowhow and a copy of MS Excel and/or Acess (ie not me) could quickly whip up a crash-free utility to edit these files

Anyway, here's the files copied and pasted onto a MS Works 5.0 spreadsheet. I've niled all the prerequisite techs and added comments for the techs with special functions.

The file is a tiny 10Kb
    Attached Files
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

I've seen this suggestion elsewhere, so you indeed are not the first. I have never tried this technique, so I can't speak for its usefulness. It does make sense in that parts of the rules.txt are in csv (comma separated value) format. I guess this could apply to units as well.
    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Comment

Yes, you need to use search and replace to get rid of the spaces and various functions like 'right$' and 'vlookup' to isolate the input fields to move things to a spreadsheet and then back to the rules.txt.

See here

This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

It's good for organizing things, but when it comes down to placing them back into the rules.txt it can be a total pain.
        Administrator at
        www.quantum9.com
        Visit the forums!
        www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

I did it for several scenarios when trying to write strategies for them.
          First you search @unit in rules.txt, then select the text after it, paste them to an Excel sheet, then add two columns for file sequence (=1 at the moment) and unit sequence (1-62). Then (in case of multiple parts such as the red front) open other rules.txt files and attach the @unit part to the existing spread sheet. The file sequence will go up. Now you can sort by unit sequence and clearly see how each slot changes from file to file.
          If you are making scenarios, sort it back by file then by unit sequence to make it easy to put them back.

Comment

Working...
          X