EOTBA found - at Borders!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EOTBA found - at Borders!!

Was at Border book store on an errand the other day, since ive been playing ancient era scenarios lately thought id take a look at the ancient history section, see if there was anything interesting. My eye was of course caught by a volume entitled "End of the Bronze Age" by Richard Drews !!!!!
    A quick glance showed that the author hypothesized that the disasters of circa 1200 BC were the result of changes in military technology, and I think I caught a discussion of the Naue TypeII sword!!!

I assume that this book is at least part of the inspiration for Paul Cullivan's EOTBA?? (note to Paul - I assume I should look here for info on military techs for descriptions?)

Stephen Hartel has noted sources for his scenarios - any other scenarios heavily based on specific historical sources?

LOTM
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I came across "Tournament of Shadows", by Karl Meyer and Shareen Plair Brysac, which I'm sure could have been an inspiration for Mike Daumen's "The Great Game".
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Re: EOTBA found - at Borders!!

Originally posted by lord of the mark
      Was at Border book store on an errand the other day, since ive been playing ancient era scenarios lately thought id take a look at the ancient history section, see if there was anything interesting. My eye was of course caught by a volume entitled "End of the Bronze Age" by Richard Drews !!!!!
      Beg pardon, its Robert Drews, not Richard. Princeton University Press. Check it out on Amazon.
      LOTM
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
        I came across "Tournament of Shadows", by Karl Meyer and Shareen Plair Brysac, which I'm sure could have been an inspiration for Mike Daumen's "The Great Game".

Or perhaps "The Great Game" by Peter Hopkirk

LOTM

Comment

Busted! Actually I found a Book Review on the internet, and the reviewer went into substantial detail on Drews' hypothesis and was very thorough in covering the pros and cons. At the time I was developing my first scenario, a SoG prototype, but hadn't really settled on a theme. I was spellbound by Drews' revolutionary new idea of a technological improvement leading to the catastrophic downfall of most of the Near East's Empires....a real WOW! moment. It was a Civ2 natural, and EotBA was born.

I've since purchased the book, and it's a fascinating read. And a great title!
          To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

EotBA was a really good read - I had picked it up I pre-Civ2 I think and went back to it after seeing the scenario. I recommend it as a must read for Civvers!

It isn't too long, reads pretty quickly, and Drews startling conclusions will make you think about them long after you have finished reading.
            Be the bid!

Comment

got it at the library - yes its very good.

LOTM

Comment

Working...
              X