No announcement yet.

Scenario Preview: Red Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Storm Rising was set in 1984, but a 70s scenario is cool too -it won't have all the same units as mine... Except the M1 Abrams was not produced until 1984, was it?

I'm also thinking of modifying the scenario I have to a late 1950s version. I'm also thinking of making a scenario set in a alternate reality where the USSR suvived to 1994 or so. That way they'll have a Tbsili aircraft carrier, plenty of MiG-31s and Tu-160 Blackjacks

Comment

cpoulos, I knew I could rely on you to set me straight. Your compromise of division vs. brigade strength seems like a good one.

Eternal, with regards to the M1 Abrams: Steel Panthers 3 (it`s my primary source of knowledge on all things military) puts the M1 as being avaliable to the US in 1980. I figured that with an urgent need for new armour on the battlefield, they could rush the project and have it completed a few years ahead of schedule. Possibly with one or two design faults to make it less effective, because of the rush-job.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I do believe it is the M1A1 Abrams tank you are talking about Eternal which first saw "action" in september 1984. so yes it is an M1 tank but just a better one.
        Thanx for the plane information paul now i can include them in my scenario Also can i have that WW3 thing you have?
        Maps, Maps, MORE MAPS!!!!

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Oh yeah, sure. Hang on a minute.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

Paul, I belive that in the early 1970s the US and West Germany co-operated on a project to replace thier M-60's and Leopards. While the United States declined to produce the resulting tank, the West Germans developed it into the Leopard 2, which entered service several years before the M-1. I guess that in an emergancy, the United States would have adopted the Leopard 2 rather then wait for the M-1 to enter production.

Also, I'd recomend that you include the MiG-25. This aircraft was introduced in the 70's (I think) and at the time was at least as good as anything NATO had.
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Soviet tanks had larger guns and thicker armour than comparative western designs until the 80's rolled around.

To be blunt, an M1 could hardly stand up to a T-80. It's gun is too small (that POS 105) and it's engines were unreliable. It also took 4 crew members as opposed to the Soviet tank which had three thanks to an auto-loader (been that way since the T-62 IIRC).

Anyone saying Sovet tanks in the 70s were worse than Western tanks is full of total crap.

The Cheiftan and M1 were both equiped with chobham armour, but the Soviets had equiped their tanks with special ceramics and composites since the T-62. Just as good as the original Chobham design. M60A3s had the RA....no chobham.

Western guns were too small (until the 120 Rheinmetal came out) and unless they used specific SABOT and HEAT ammo (I think there are only 120 rounds though...) there wasn't a way they'd get through the Soviet tanks with ceramics and reactive armour (fairly sure they invented it...but I dunno).

Just to point this out...in the Middle East there was never a definitive armour operation. Isreali aircraft usually harrassed Arab tank columns before the two met. In the Gulf War, M1A1s took on T-72s. That's no contest!!!!

Give T-64s better ratings than the M60s...just to make it tougher on the human player.

-=-=-=

Edit -

THe MiG-25 was created to defeat the B-70 Valkyrie. Hardly a manueverable plane...it just went fast and shot 4 missiles. Just a big interceptor. NATO couldn't intercept it, and the Israelis were only able to shoot it down after luring it with F-15s and F-4s.
              Administrator at
              www.quantum9.com
              Visit the forums!
              www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

I beg to differ...

As far as my memory goes, the first M1s I saw operational was in 81.
                But remember, this is just a personal observation.
                It may have been introduced earlier.
                Originally posted by master on high
                Soviet tanks had larger guns and thicker armour than comparative western designs until the 80's rolled around.
                The gun was not accurate, due to poor optics..
                Also, the soviets used a convoluted auto reload system that required the gun to elavate after every shot, and caused the weapon to miss if the gun was not relayed, as the auto-setting was always off.
                To be blunt, an M1 could hardly stand up to a T-80. It's gun is too small (that POS 105) and it's engines were unreliable. It also took 4 crew members as opposed to the Soviet tank which had three thanks to an auto-loader (been that way since the T-62 IIRC).
                See the above comment on the auto-loader for an understanding of why it's not an advantage, but an extreme disadvantage.
                Soviet armor is extremly cramped, and their armor was not air-conditioned, leading to crew fatague. Also, the auto-loader was prone to break down!
                The 105 could gun kill a T-80 at anything up to 600 yards.
                Source: 2nd Arored div, Ft. Hood, Texas.
                The early engines on the M-1 prototype were unreliable, but the production engine ironed out many of the problems.
                Anyone saying Sovet tanks in the 70s were worse than Western tanks is full of total crap.
                I assure you sir, I'm am not.
                I served from 80-86, and it was my buisness to know what could blow my b*lls off, so don't try to tell me!
                The Cheiftan and M1 were both equiped with chobham armour, but the Soviets had equiped their tanks with special ceramics and composites since the T-62. Just as good as the original Chobham design. M60A3s had the RA....no chobham.
                The Soviets only started with the ceramics in the mid 80s, out of the time frame of this scenario.
                Western guns were too small (until the 120 Rheinmetal came out) and unless they used specific SABOT and HEAT ammo (I think there are only 120 rounds though...) there wasn't a way they'd get through the Soviet tanks with ceramics and reactive armour (fairly sure they invented it...but I dunno).
                Soviet armor was not resistant to solid shot tungsten cored rounds.
                I saw a test round blow the turrent off a T-72 in a live fire excercise at 800 yards, so I know it can be done with a 105mm.
                Just to point this out...in the Middle East there was never a definitive armour operation. Isreali aircraft usually harrassed Arab tank columns before the two met. In the Gulf War, M1A1s took on T-72s. That's no contest!!!!
                Huh???
                Tel Maschara 1973
                El Al 1973
                Kuneitra 1973
                Botzer 1973
                Ras Sudar 1973
                Chinese farm 1973
                Deversoir 1973
                Fayid 1973

All of the listed engagments are from the Yom Kippur war.
                Everyone from Tel Maschara through Ras Sudar were fought while Israel was on the defensive, and IAF was not available, as it was involved in flak suppression, and was unavailable for fire support.
                Of all the engagements listed, only Chinese Farm was an arab victory.

Give T-64s better ratings than the M60s...just to make it tougher on the human player.
                I would agree for playability, or if you use my force size idea, but otherwise, no way.

THe MiG-25 was created to defeat the B-70 Valkyrie. Hardly a manueverable plane...it just went fast and shot 4 missiles. Just a big interceptor. NATO couldn't intercept it, and the Israelis were only able to shoot it down after luring it with F-15s and F-4s.
                Nato forces no, but Sac Norad could.
                So could an F-15 if it had a height advantage.
                The Mig-25 was junk.
                The USAF admitted this when they eximened the M-25 that defector V. Balenko flew to Japan in 1975.
                It's avionics were so primative as to be laughable, and it was poorly constructed from substandard materials, as compared to western aircraft.
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

The intention was to make the Soviet tanks more powerful anyway, especially on the attack, so as to give the AI a fighting chance against a human opponent. Defensive strengths are lower to simulate the advantage the attacker would probably gain: being able to attack from the side or back, where I believe the armour is generally weaker.

I had hoped to include the MiG-25, if only for historical accuracy, and to give the Soviets more of a broad range of aircraft (as you probably noticed, they only have 4 at the moment, compared to NATO`s 7).

And with regards to the Leopard 2: are you sure? I have the Leopard 2 as being available to West Germany (once again thanks to Steel Panthers 3) from 1981 onwards. The M1 is avaliable to the US from 1980.

Comment

On another note, does anyone know of any websites with information regarding NATO troop placements in 1975? Grothgar told me how the various nations had placed their forces in West Germany, but I forgot what he said. Does anyone have any useful links?

Comment

Dont quote me on this because its kind of second hand information ask cpolous he seems to be the wizz on this sort of stuff . However from my sources i believe that the Dutch and West German forces were based between Hamburg and Hannover with the British and Belgian forces Between Kassel and Hannover. Between Kassel and Frankfurt was mostly American troops with a few French divisions among them. Above Hamburg Was a collection of nationalitys that im not sure of the composition. cpolous????? any help lol.

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Ack! My god...how wrong I was....

After reading through several articles on Soviet Tank design for the T-62 through T-80 models I'm willing to concede just about every point I attempted to make.

*runs and hides head in shame*
                        Administrator at
                        www.quantum9.com
                        Visit the forums!
                        www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

Thanks Gary.

Oh, and cpoulos is the wizz on this kind of stuff because he`s ex-military: 82nd Airborne "All-Americans" if I remember correctly.

Comment

Ahhh that would explain it then
                            Thanx for the WW3 thing paul im about 3/4 of the way through it. what a story. someone must do scenario based on it
                            Cpolous what was your main area of expertise in the military? And if you know could you tell me how the Mig 29 and the Su 27 hold up against the f-15 and the f-16. maybe the f-14 even. or could anyone because im trying to calibrate the stats of my aircraft right. I do believe that the Su 27 is a fine piece of hardware though?

Comment

Don't sweat it, Master on High!
                              I'm just glad I didn't have to find out the hard way about Soviet armor!
                              Originally posted by Paul Hanson

Oh, and cpoulos is the wizz on this kind of stuff because he`s ex-military: 82nd Airborne "All-Americans" if I remember correctly.
                              505PIR, 3rd Birgade, "The Panthers", 82nd ABD, "the All Americans".

OK, now for Nato dispositions:

BOR (British Army of the Rhine)

HQS:Bielefeld (north German Plain)
                              1st Armored Hamburg
                              3rd Armored Bieleleld
                              4th Armored Bielefeld

United States

US V Corp HQs Frankfurt (Hof Gap, Southern Germany)
                              3rd Aromored Frankfurt
                              8th Infantry(mortorized) Darmstadt
                              4th bgd, 4th IF Div, Weisbaden

US VII Corp HQS Stuttgart (Southern Germany-Austria)
                              1st Armored Stuttgart
                              3rd Infantry(motorized) Wurzburg
                              1st Infantry(motorized) Stuttgart
                              3rd bgd, 1st IF Div, Ulm

Berlin Bgd, Berlin

West German forces

I Corp Munster (Northern Germany)
                              3rd Panzer Luneburg
                              7th Panzer Dortmund
                              1st PanzerGrn Hannover
                              11th PanzerGrn Bremen
                              6th PanzerGrn Hamburg
                              27AB Bdg Bielfeld

II Corp Ulm (Southern Germany)
                              10th Panzer Ulm
                              4th PaqnzerGrn Nurnburg
                              25th AB Bdg Stuttgart

III Corp Koblenz (Central Germany)
                              12th Panzer Wurzburg
                              2nd PanzerGrn Kassel
                              5th Panzer Frankfurt
                              26th AB Bdg Saarbrucken

This was the disposition in 1981, but the corp HQs are consistant over time, so it should be correct for the 70s also.

Now for Soviet Aircraft.

You could add the Su-11, an a/c that is often mis-identified as as a Mig-21. The Soviets had 2,500 of them on strength in 1976.

Also the Su-15 interceptor, with some 600 in service in 1975, as it was being phased out by the Mig-25.

How about the Tu-22 "Blinder" Medium Bomber? This was the fastest bomber in the soviet inventory before the "Backfire" series.

All three of these where heavily used by the Soviets and the Warsaw pact airforces.

I hope this helps.
                              I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Grothgar
                                Cpolous what was your main area of expertise in the military?
                                I was a Paratrooper, so ground units and small arms, but I also write, and have conducted extensive interviews with many veterans from many eras.
                                And if you know could you tell me how the Mig 29 and the Su 27 hold up against the f-15 and the f-16. maybe the f-14 even. or could anyone because im trying to calibrate the stats of my aircraft right. I do believe that the Su 27 is a fine piece of hardware though?
                                From what several pilots have told me, rather well.
                                In performance, the Mig-29 and the F-15 are very similar, with an avionics (and if you believe jet jockeys, training and skill level ) edge to the US plane.
                                It also appears that the F-16 and F-14 Tomcat can out turn the Soviet A/C, but that the Su-27 is flat out faster at altitude.

I would say that it would be fairly close, but that US A/C have an electronics edge that would give them the edge over Soviet numbers, but it would be costly(Assuming that the pilots are equal, another can of worms).

Comment

Working...
                                X