No announcement yet.

Philisophy Effect!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a short version from STBAQ which I know works.

@GOLDENAGE
    @width=320
    @title=Golden Age of Space Travel
    The Golden Age of Space Travel begins on the
    %STRING0 planet of %STRING1! Great %STRING0
    scientists articulate propulsion, multi-spacetime
    and metaphysical theories which will expand our
    knowledge of the universe for centuries to come.

From a comparison, besides the length and width,
    seems the only other difference is the occurance of %STRING0 and %STRING1. Maybe, it needs to have these before the message will come out.

This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

My first turn is technicaly turn 0, I tried delaying it to turn 1, but it still wouldnt work.

The effect is right but I don't get the text.
      [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 21, 2001).]
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 02-21-2001 04:53 PM
        No nation has aquiered it from the begining, but all used to have it, so that may be the problem.

That is probably it.

Comment

I am not completely sure of this, but I seem to remember that it requires you to also have the other tech (Whatever the other one is that, along with Phi, cause the people to upgrade from Medieval style to Renaissance), when you discover Philosophy... If you don't have it I don't think you get the text or the upgraded people.gif.
          It could also be an issue of whether it's a human or AI discovery... I always let the AI discover Phi in my scenarios.

Comment

The other tech?
            The invention slot? Everyone has a tech replacing invention (although I am thinking of taking it away from the polish and russians , making thier citizens look more east-european).
            Should I remove invention (only renecianse tech I know of), in a normal game you would get philosophy before invention, so that may be it.
            Oh and it wont help to delete lots of text, I reduced it to one sentence to try it out earlier, but the message still wouldn't show up.
            [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 23, 2001).]

Comment

I would try first to give it, by event, to an AI Civ on turn 2 and see if you get the text.
              In Second Front I gave it by event to the German AI who already had Invention (#38)on turn #2 and it worked.
              Are you sure you are using Phi (#60) , not Phy (#61)? Did either civ receive Phi during the setup phase of the scenario? I don't know if the flag saying someone has already discovered Phi can be removed when you edit away the tech in cheat mode.
              That's all I can think of.

Comment

It doesn't help to give it on turn 2, I tried that whit the same effect (free tech but no text).
                I am using Phi not Phy.
                Yes all nations has had phi during the earlier stages of the scenario.
                And all nations have invention (well a renamed version of it annyway, still whit the abrevation inv, of course)

Comment

To see if the problem is that some civs used to have Philosophy before, I think you'll need to start a new game, do the same things with the techs as the other game, save it and load it as a scenario.

If that is the problem, it means that the original file can be hex-edit to remove the "philosophy-discovered" flag. This you can do by, in the new game, saving just before the civ recieves Phi, then adding Phi, removing it again, and saving, then comparing both files in a hex editor. All quite easy.

Comment

Allard: I would describe that as "possible", not "easy"!
                    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Oh no it's really quite easy, took me just 5 minutes to try.

However, my beautiful theory does unfortunately not work, as it seems that the message pops up again if it discovered. Wether or not it was discovered earlier, but "lost" does not seem to matter.

So that's one possible solution out of the world

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 02-21-2001 09:33 PM
                        I have a short version from STBAQ which I know works.

@GOLDENAGE
                        @width=320
                        @title=Golden Age of Space Travel
                        The Golden Age of Space Travel begins on the
                        %STRING0 planet of %STRING1! Great %STRING0
                        scientists articulate propulsion, multi-spacetime
                        and metaphysical theories which will expand our
                        knowledge of the universe for centuries to come.

From a comparison, besides the length and width,
                        seems the only other difference is the occurance of %STRING0 and %STRING1. Maybe, it needs to have these before the message will come out.

That was it! I missed this one post and there was the sollution, thanks kobayashi!

Now all I need to do is figure out if the %STRING1 has to be there, and how to handle it if it does.
                        [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 25, 2001).]

Comment

%STRING1 and %STRING0 are not needed for the message to appear, here is the one from Second Front that also works:

@GOLDENAGE
                          @width=320
                          @title=Operation Overlord
                          The largest amphibious operation in history, the invasion of "Fortress Europe" has begun. The entire invasion force consists of 3,000,000 men, 2,700 transport ships, 2,500 landing crafts, 700 warships, 8,000 aircraft and over 100,000 motor vehicles and tanks.
                          The targets of D-Day are the capture and securing of 5 beachheads along the Normandy coast.
                          Additional targets are the City of Caen South of the Juno Beach and the heavily defended
                          naval gun batteries on La Pointe du Hoc between Vierville and Grandcamps. Your objectives are:

Utah Beach between La Madeleine and Brévands
                          Omaha Beach between Vierville-sur-Mer and Port-en-Bessin
                          Gold Beach between Port-en-Bessin and Courseulles
                          Juno Beach between Courseulles and Langrune
                          Sword Beach between Langrune and Ouistreham

Comment

It didn't work before and now it does, the only thing I have modified is that I have added the lines %STRING1 and %STRING0.

Comment

Working...
                            X