Philisophy Effect!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philisophy Effect!?!

I was going to use a philosphy in the same way as captain nemo in his redfront and second front scenarios. On the first turn I use an event to give the swedish (who are the invadors of Poland) anyway this tech haven't been aquiered by any other nations, what hapens is this: The effect of the tech is working (they get a free tech) but the message (which I ofcurse have customized) isn't shown (!) which was the main reason I had to use this.
    Does anyone know what may cause this?
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

I do not know the answer to your question

BUT

You can simply edit the king and make the sweedes research philosophy and edit the research progress to almost the end. This will have the same effect but doesn't require an event.
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

I tried that, whit the same effect.

Comment

Henrick, you might have to take out the original message that pops up from the game file it is in (game.txt? not sure). Then it might work.
        Please Visit:
        http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

I changed the text in game.txt!
          The problem is: No message at all is shown (but they still get the free tech)!

Comment

Presumably you didn't edit away the

@GOLDENAGE

by accident?

If not then this must be one of lifes inponderables.
            This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Henrick, even when you used the events file?

Research Philosophy, gain tech, pop-up message.
              Please Visit:
              http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

This is what it looks like:

@GOLDENAGE
                @width=1000
                @title=Invasion of the comonwealth.
                10 July:
                The Polish Parlament decides to start prepering for a Swedish invasion, the proclamtion is obeyed very slowly, the treath isn't takien seriously by the polish nobles and King Jan Kazimierz himself said:
                "The Swede isn't as dangerous as the cowards try to make him seem".
                Nobody expects a swedish invasion untill atleast a year in the future.
                The recriuting of soldiers didn't begin untill the begining of June and at the 11 June the polish nobles are called to arms (the "call to arms" was hardly more than an invitation to help, the weak polish state couldn't tell the nobles what to do).
                If someone that day would visit the little villige of Falkenberg in west Preussia, he would hear the sounds from trumpets and the rattling and creaking from thousands of wheels.
                Should he dare to travel closer, a peculiar and frightening sight: A long, long winding row comming out of a nearby forest, a row of seemingly endless waving pikes and musket muzzles, and a large throng of flags and standards,
                not to mention horses, horses and yet more horses...
                And wagons: baggage carts, cannonball, armor, karett, pontoon and petard wagons, and artillery: light regiment pieces, heavy storm cannons, long necked kartovs and short necked mortars.
                And people: footsoldiers, riders, servants, smiths, maids, merchants, cooks, cleaners, whores, babies sons, daughters, sisters, brothers and wives.
                That was the Swedish Army crossing the Polish Border.

Notice that I have increased the "width" a lot since I thought that may be the problem (I increased to 500 right way and when it didn't work I increased gradually up to 1000).

Comment

I have edited the @GOLDENAGE entry and it has worked, so I know it can be done. I can think of two reasons why this might happen.[list=1] [*]The @GOLDENAGE label has changed.[*]The event happens on turn one. Strange things happen on turn one. Delay the event for a turn or two and then see if it works.[/list=a]

Comment

Err don't you need the one line seperate bit at the bottom, the text that appears to the right of the radio button? I can't seem to see it in your above posting, in Red Front it is this bit:

...opportunity to advance into the Northwestern Soviet held territories.
                    <- intentional new line!
                    THE WAR FOR RUSSIA HAS BEGUN <- this bit!

Am I making sense?

Comment

No thats not the problem, I tried doing it that way, I will use an event instead, I was hoping to save the space in the events file by this and the event seems to ignore all "new lines" making the text look very odd (atleast when it is as long as this one ) but now I will have to use an event instead, oh well.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the content of the message itself (width 1000 is far too wide though).
                        I can only think of 2 things atm that could cause this not to be displayed.
                        1. You are not granting the right tech (Philosophy)
                        2. The scenario have registered Philosophy as already having been invented by a nation

Comment

Also, make sure that the civ actually does discover the tech on the first turn. Give them the full amount of tech investment in the leader cheat menu, or even more than the full amount, that can't hurt, and then you're sure that it actually does get discovered.

It does work, normally, not only in RF, also in SF, in my own River War, and lots more.

Comment

I know that it works, they get a free tech, but the ***** text isnt shown, I have tried to let them "invent it" themselves, it doesnt make a difference.
                            No nation has aquiered it from the begining, but all used to have it, so that may be the problem.
                            The width was something that I gradually improved since I suspected that the amount of text was somewhat too large then I didn't bother to turn it back.
                            I havent played river war yet (but I will) but I have played both RF and SF and seen it work.
                            It is really strange actually.
                            I will use an event instead though, I have given up on the idea
                            [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 21, 2001).]

Comment

That's a LOT of text. Try eliminating all except one word and see if that helps. If so, you'll have to find out (by trial and error) just how much text the messagebox will accept. Separating sentences with the ENTER key may also be an issue.

Edit: Where was my brain? The ENTER key is not going to have any effect.
                              [This message has been edited by Kull (edited February 22, 2001).]
                              To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Working...
                              X