Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants to be a mil...err...legionaire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, carthaginian spelling for Cagliari was Karalis ( Greek also ); Caralis was the latin form. And since you've placed it under carthaginian rule...

PS Two graphic tips:
    a) Sacred Theban elitè Battallion was supposed by some historicians to carry a spear longer than usual greek ones, so this way they were able to tap better their more compact ranks' force. And they used the beotic shield, a little smaller than usual...
    b) The "machaira" ( the short greek sword ) was a little curved and one-edged sword, like some butcher's knives or nepalese kukri, so it was more easy for hoplites to use them in a "whirlwind" skirmishing to cover their withdraw while returning into phalanx ranks. You can made one side a little darker to represent this; the way you painted it, it seems a two-edged bronze age minoan-micenaean sword ( lazy perfectionism, huh ? )...

[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited November 26, 2000).]
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Just a question for everyone else: After conquering the entirity of Italy, did you have to use ships a lot to get legions out of the natural barriers that are there (Massila, Sicily, & Iliyricum)?
      *grumbles about work*

Comment

I don't know if this will unbalance the scenario, but you might want to give the Romans a tech allowing them to build warships in Part II....
        *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prometeus on 11-26-2000 04:24 PM
          Yup, carthaginian spelling for Cagliari was Karalis...

Are you sure? If I recall correctly, the Carthaginians never wrote vowels - at least when writing Punian/ Phoenician
          I am also very confident that very soon Caralis will switch sides an become a Roman city...

However, Bernd, if you want further correction, referring to my maps (I checked 4 or 5 different ones) it's "Hadrumetum" and not "Hadrumentum".
          But, without wanting to hurt you, Prom., I must say I don't think that things like names significantly downgrade the scenario or its historical accuracy...
          I still enjoyed playing the less accurate older German versions, and I think things have improved since then -at least you can't irrigate forests anymore
          Really good work, BeBro!

You always have to compromise between history, playability and opportunities offered by Civ2.
          Just imagine the "horrible" fact that Alexandria is already on the map at the beginning of the scenario - even with two wonders... But on the one hand, you simply can't force the AI to found a City named "Alexandria" at this location in 332/331 and to build the two wonders in the proper time, on the other hand Alexandria became a very important City you couldn't leave out in the scenario, so you can't get around placing the city there...
          I hope Civ3 will introduce an event like this.

P.S: One suggestion I would consider is adding a kind of King's Road in Persia to allow the Alexander a faster and more effective expansion. Of course you must be careful not to give the Persians to much trade by those roads...

Edit: Just saw that Civfan has posed this suggestion earlier, so I'm not the only one demanding this...
          I also would be pleased to see the next (German or English) beta version soon...
          [This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited November 27, 2000).]
          Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

The Carthagians seem pretty intent on having their loaded ships dash themselves on the walls of Rome.... Is there any way we can stop this? (maybe you might want to give all ships the "sub flag" so that they can't bombard land targets. Give all ships spot subs too or else they won't see one another....
            *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prometeus on
              11-26-2000 04:24 PM

Yup, carthaginian spelling for Cagliari was Karalis...

quote:

Originally posted by SCDARS on 11-27-2000 04:58 PM

Are you sure? If I recall correctly, the Carthaginians never wrote vowels - at least when writing Punian/ Phoenician
              I am also very confident that very soon Caralis will switch sides an become a Roman city...

Exactly was Krl... but Romans listened that name Karalis and - since there was no difference between a first C+a and K, as in italian today - wrote it Caralis. And since you've them sides switched, mantain Caralis, then...
              And about switching sides, Cagliari is a legend in sardinian history, always on the winner side: betrayals of the state!!!!

[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited November 28, 2000).]
              "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

Prometeus, I know, the Thebans used Sarissas earlier then Macedonians

For Caralis, if both spellings are possible, I´ll stay with the "C" to indicate that this is mainly a scn which should be played from the Roman view...

Shadowstrike, Romans should concentrate on their land forces (as in reality ), however a good warfleet makes a lot of things easier, it´s of course also needed to capture the islands.
                I have to think a bit about these Carthaginian ships, I think the submarine flag for all warships isn´t the best solution, lets see...

Ingo, the king´s road will be definately in the next version, also the corrected Hadrumetum...

------------------
                Civ2000
                Blah

Comment

Simple question: I have a map taht shows the king´s road between Susa and Sardes, but not from Susa to Persepolis. Is that correct?

------------------
                  Civ2000
                  Blah

Comment

Stefan Haertel LIVES for questions like that!

Edit: For what it's worth I have a map which shows the same thing, including the info that it was completed by the end of the reign of Darius I (@490 BC).
                    [This message has been edited by Kull (edited December 01, 2000).]
                    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Currently checking barbarian settlements in V-Iv century B.C. ... More to come.

PS Sadly, I have to announce to all of you that A-she-na and Skumand projects are currently suspended.

Comment

I think I've found a bug. I've captured Caralis, but a Pheonecian Petare (sp?) still appears there every few turns. I can disband it for the production, so the whole thing is wierd. Anyone have this problem too?
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

Kull, that´s a good idea, I´ll ask Stefan.

Prometeus, the Barb cities in ImpRom are named as the Roman cities in Germania later (as Iuvavum or Aquae), its´a bit inaccurate, but I think not really a big problem...

For your scn, what a pity...

Shadowstrike, yes I encountered the same problem, will change it. I´m still working on the update, hope that its ready tomorrow...

------------------
                          Civ2000
                          Blah

Comment

Ok, BeBro... it seems to be good enough. BTW the only wrong thing i found, "sic stantibus rebus", it's that first roman chronicles about Pannonia mentioned an "Eraviscanus pagus", and only later it was named Aquincum ( a brief historical note: in V-IV century BC that pagus was under illirian control; Celts "came" later in Hungary, so they were only able to partially "celticize" aborigenous tribes ).
                            I have also a Germany map with Roman campaigns and celtic settlements... If you need it...

Edit... yeah, that ******* "A-she-na" scenario... at least i'm not going to waste all the artworks . I'm recicling a lot of pics for my Chan Kuo... .
                            Can i send you the map ? I need a tip to stab if it's too much big or not...

Edit number two...
                            quote:

Idistavisus ?

Ahem, never mind, it was build probably after 150-140 BC...
                            [This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited December 02, 2000).]

Comment

Yup, Shadowstrike, but please wait until you´ve played the updated version. For the testing, if you are low on time, its not a problem, of course the real life comes first

Ok, I finished all changes except the events for the other civs. Changes are as follows:

-some terrain changes, including the king´s road in Persia
                              -"destroyed" Aquileia, using Opitergium instead now
                              -improved (I hope )events for the Romans
                              -techtree changes that should be better for the happiness, some others that should reduce the one time trade bonus
                              -changed Marius army reform, it upgrades your Legions only once now (more realistic)
                              -fixed the Caralis/Pentere thing
                              -improved spelling, e.g Phoenicians, I changed also some unit names, hope I made no new errors...
                              -introduced a second units file ( ) as well as a second rules file for the Romans, these files are automatically generated when you change to the 4th Roman events, they have three new enemy units...

I´ll enjoy some free time now , sending the scn to the testers tomorrow. I hope I can finish also the other events tomorrow, if not, I´ll do this in the next days. So, if I make no stupid errors, the release should be possible soon.

BTW, I love these christmas smileys

------------------
                              Civ2000
                              [This message has been edited by BeBro (edited December 02, 2000).]
                              Blah

Comment

OK... I have to complete the scenario at least once before tomorrow!

Flee before my mighty legions!

Excuse me, I'm just into the "Roman" mindset right now...
                                *grumbles about work*

Comment

Working...
                                X