Artaxerxes Update-gathering ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artaxerxes Update-gathering ideas

Hi folks. I've started thinking about an update to "Artaxerxes, the fall of the Spartan hegemony".
    My basic ideas are:
    -Remove bugs
    -Include new graphics
    -Improve/Change events
    -Improve some basic map stuff

In detail:

I will remove any bugs including graphical faults.
    I will include a number of new graphics, including those that were used in "Darius", but also some other brand-new ones.
    About the events:
    I will erase some uneccesary and irelevant events such as the satrapal revolts, and instead will include the conditions of the royal peace of 386 BC.
    Now the question is: Should I make two different events files for Persians and Greeks?
    The Persian events will feature inner-Persian matters, perhaps the one or other Satrapal revolt and the essentials of Greece.
    The Greek events will include some neat things that decrease the possibilities for the player in the frame of the royal peace, i.e. if Athens thinks about increasing their navy, they get busted by the Persians and so on. The Greek events file will also be playable for the Carthaginians.
    Now, I will stick with the one-events file because I don't really want a re-modeling of the scenario (I think it is good enough). Things such as the camel herds, nomad camps and so on will of course stay. And in general, most of the nice other things will as well.
    Now, do you think I should make the scenario start in 404 BC, the year in which Artaxerxes accessed the throne, in order to include the revolt of Cyrus the Younger? This might be more fun for the Persian player because, aside from Sardeis and Daskyleion he will most propably be able to "liberate" a lot more Barbarian cities from the revolting satraps.
    I will also include an accessable tech tree for both Greek and Persian player as well as some new improvements and perhaps the one or other new WoW.
    I will also change the map a little to make the country a little more unhospitable. There will also be some new things to recreate the actions of Artaxerxes: The national religion and so on... More scythians, lesser units, lesser money perhaps... impossibility to bribe Barbarian and Greek cities... More sounds too.
    There will also be random quotations from Xenophon's "Anabasis", Plutarchus' "Vita Artaxerxes" and other Greek author's views on the Persia of Artaxerxes II.
    If anyone here has some good new ideas, you are welcome to tell me. It would also be great if one or two people would volunteer for playtesting here.
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

I think 404 B.C. is a cool starting point, Stefan...
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Oh yeah, I also got some new (colourful!) reconstructions of Persepolis, so there will be a new Persian city style!
      Follow the masses!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel on 11-08-2000 09:21 AM

Now the question is: Should I make two different events files for Persians and Greeks?

Yes, that would be good. You can include the Greek quotations in the events for the Greeks, and the Persian quotations of course in the Persian events. So you can create a completely different atmosphere and "connect" the player better with the chosen civ.

------------------
        Civ2000
        Blah

Comment

Just saw your last post

Can´t wait to see the new cities. Will you also include that Greek cities from your last city collection? I mean the style with this huge temple...

------------------
          Civ2000
          Blah

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel on 11-08-2000 04:24 PM
            Oh yeah, I also got some new (colourful!) reconstructions of Persepolis, so there will be a new Persian city style!

Hey Stefan, can ya send some of those pictures of Persepolis to me.... Jram@sympatico.ca

Thanks....

------------------
            Civfan (Warriorsoflight)
            Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Can you send these Persepolis pics to me, too?

------------------
              Civ2000
              Blah

Comment

Sorry, folks, no-can do
                It's impossible to scan it because its one of those two-pagers in a small format paperback book. Even if I tried to make it as flat as possible, I would only wreck the book, which I don't want to.
                I can give you examples of the tile designs in black-and white scheme drawings with a color legend, along with some b/w reconstructions (I already sent those to BeBro).
                CivFan: If you want to use those for the Parthians, that is not advisable, because they had a very different architectorial style than the Achaemenid Persians. I do have some Parthian reconstructions you may want to have, and I'm working on a Parthian city style too.

quote:

Can´t wait to see the new cities. Will you also include that Greek cities from your last city
                collection? I mean the style with this huge temple...

Yes, I will use the new Greek style, although I will change the last "walled" size a bit because I don't like the temple.
                I really don't have much done yet, though, I just started the new Achaemenid style. I'll have to do more work on it though because I'm not really satisfied with the current results.
                Follow the masses!

Comment

I'm actually ransacking & converting to Civ2 format Shogun Demo sounds ... do you need something particular like cavalry sounds or else?
                  "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                  "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                  "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Right now I have no need for new sounds, but in case I should really need some I'll consult you, Prom.
                    Follow the masses!

Comment

Stefan it´s clear that you don´t want to ruin the book. Can you tell me author and title?

------------------
                      Civ2000
                      Blah

Comment

You should add the Spartan Infantry !

Comment

"De la Grece a l'Orient-Alexandre le Grand" by Pierre Briant, published by Découvertes Gallimard. Only to be found at the Louvre or in French bookstores
                          And according to the credits list, the picture of the palace can be found only at the Parisian national library
                          Sorry.
                          Follow the masses!

Comment

Hmm, that´s a pity. Somebody who helps me to plan a robbery on the Louvre?

Stefan, if you need some ancient ships or other things, my website has some ancient gfx.

------------------
                            Civ2000
                            Blah

Comment

*bump*
                              Still need ideas
                              Follow the masses!

Comment

Working...
                              X