Need opinions on new scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on new scenario

Now that Napoloen is finished, and Hundred years war 2.1 is almost finished I have decided to embark on a new project, namely Europe in 1400.

I have decided on 5 of the 7 civilisations

England
    France
    Spain (castile)
    Holy Roman Empire
    Ottoman Turks

now I have to make a decision on the other two, the choices are

Denmark
    Poland (Southern and central Poland, western Ukraine, Moldova)
    Hungry (Hungry, Romainia, south west Ukraine)
    Eygpt (Eygpt, eastern Libya, Syria, Isreal, Jordon, Lebanon)
    Papal states
    Teutonic states (Northern Poland, Lithuainia, Latvia, estonia, Kalingrad (Russia))
    Lithuainia (Belarus, Nothern Ukraine)
    Aragon (would mean spliting Spain)
    Portugal
    Sweden
    or an idependent civ covering many of these.

I would like your opinions on which two were most important to Europe in 1400 - c.1550?

------------------
    Windows 98 (windoze) a 32 bit extention of a 16 bit graphical shell for an 8 bit operating system, origalanly coded for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company who can't stand one bit of competition!
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

"Hungry"

------------------
    "There is no more illustrious history than the history of the Magyar Nation... The whole civilized world is indebted to Magyarland for its historic deeds."
    -Theodore Roosevelt, to the Hungarian Parliament,
    April 2, 1910

Comment

In 1400 Lithuania and Poland were a single large (and very powerful) nation. I would definitely include it. (I don't know if it was called Poland or Lithuania, since it was a union of both, with neither dominating.)

What additional civs you pick depend on where you want the focus of the scenario to be. With only 7 civs, you cannot possibly include all the major interactions of that time period. Do you want the focus to be the interactions among the west European powers? Or the growth of the Hapsburg empire through marriage and conquest? Or the growth of the Ottoman Empire? Or the conflicts in Eastern Europe? Or Scandinvia? Or Northern Italy? Or maybe the major economic powers: Venice, Genoa, Pisa, the Hanseatic League, Flanders, the Medicis, the Fuggers.

You have to choose. The possibilities are endless.
      -Helios

Comment

Portugal obviously, they were a big part in world exploration in that time period. Chris Columbus and most european explorers were Portugal in blood and living in another country,and saild for that coutry, or sailed for Portugal.
        Portugal and Hungary would be my choices. I forgot if u had the russians or not, but they were also rising to power and a powerful nation during this time.
        What about Sweden? They were a powerful country themselves at one point. I don't remember if it was during this time period of yours, but they were defeating russia and another country in a war but lost after awhile.

Comment

Sounds interesting. Hmm, I wouldn´t include the Teutonic states, their golden ages was over around 1400 (Tannenberg 1410), Poland seems better if the scn will cover only europe.
          Portugal is a must if your map include oversea territories. The Ottomans can be Barbarians...

------------------
          Civ2000
          Blah

Comment

Poland for sure, COckney... maybe walking in your shoes I put in Portugal also.

PS If you need help, i have a lot of 1400's pics...
            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Helios,

Are you sure about Poland and Lithuainia?, my map says that they were two different states. (However is it a French map and has Part of Wales as independent in 1400!)

I am not yet sure what the focus of the scenario will be, however I do know that the Ottomans can't be barbarians, they were vital in shaping the history of Europe at this time.

Bebro, Suntzu,

The scenario covers Europe only (anything else might require making a map!)

Prom,

Thanks, I need all the help I can get

------------------
              Windows 98 (windoze) a 32 bit extention of a 16 bit graphical shell for an 8 bit operating system, origalanly coded for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company who can't stand one bit of competition!
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Wales was in revolt during this time. Lithunia and Poland were two states. My suggestion would be:
                Sweden, which was then a transcandinavian state, consisting of sweden, Norway and Denmark (from 1397-1412) and Hungary. But you should somehow have the papal ghost floating around.

------------------
                Follow the masses!
                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Mighty Carthage fought three wars:
                It was still mighty after the first one, still inhabitable
                after the second one;
                It could not be found after the third one.
                -Bert Brecht

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
                Follow the masses!
                30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Thanks stefen,

I think I'll put the Papal staes (central italy) under Holy Roman Empire control, I'll give sicily to spain and maybe southern Italy (kingdom of naples) as well, I think I will include Hungry as a rampart to protect against the Ottomans, and also to threatern Germany.

However I'm still undecided between Poland (I would probably unite them with Lithuainia) and Sweden.

Thanks everyone for your help so far

------------------

Comment

Nice sites, Prometeus

------------------
                    Civ2000
                    Blah

Comment

in 1386 Poland and Lithuania formed a union. I'm not sure how long this union lasted, but I would assume that it lasted well after 1400. Their combined territory was huge. I know I've bookmarked a few maps of this time period, if I find them I'll post links.
                      -Helios

Comment

Poland and Lithuania were 1 country, so one off
                        your list. The union lasted up to the third partage in 1795.

Comment

1. Although initially hesitant, Lithuania finally jumped into the union after being defeated in 1399 by the Golden Horde.

2. I recommend using these partly inaccurate civs:

Spain (Spain, Aragon, Sicily, Naples, Austria)
                          Poland (Poland, Lithuania, Moldavia)
                          France (France, Genoa)
                          England (England, Ireland, Acquitaine)
                          Union of Kalmar (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Shetlands, Iceland)
                          Ottomans
                          Neutrals (Portugal, Navarre, HRE, Venice, Teutonic Knights, Mamlukes, Hungary, Russia)
                          Barbarians (Burgundy, Bohemia, Granada, Marinids, Hafsids, Scotland, Golden Horde, Empire of Timur, and Serbia)

------------------
                          St. Leo
                          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I collected a lot of material from this sites, COckney; i think these will help you a lot...
                            www.elisena.com
                            www.aitnamodel.com

If you need it i found a XV century "yeniceri" pic on another site, just tell and i'll send it to you.
                            [This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited October 15, 2000).]
                            "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                            "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                            "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

I agree with that, except that I would add to the Neutrals the remnants of the Byzantine Empire, ie Constantinople, Trebizond, Epirus, and the southern Peleponessus (sp?). Additionally, I believe that some of the Latin holdings left in the Balkans belonged to Aragon at this point, and could thus belong to Spain.

The only other powers not well represented in that scheme are Burgundy, which controlled Flanders, the Franche Comte in the HRE, and the Burgundy region of France; and the Luxembourg dunasty, which controlled Luxembourg, Bohemia, the Lusatia and Brandenburg regions, as well as other parts of the northern HRE, and was at this point a chief rival of the Hapsburg family.

Other than that, St. Leo's scheme seems about right.

------------------
                              -Helios
                              -Helios

Comment

Working...
                              X