X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update about Hex Editing

A complete Word Document is now available for download:

http://allard.8m.com/hexediting.htm

It's essentially the same file as the earlier version, only adapted to an easier Word environment, and with Jorrit's Terrains stuff added.

Also some new stuff: Gothmog's findings, leader titles (for every civ at every government its own title), which city the game will pick in CITIES.TXT, and some more minor stuff.

I thought it would be better to make a new thread than to add it to the old one.
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Allard HS (edited August 16, 2000).]</font>

Thank you very much Allard,

and also thanks to Carl and Jorrit as well,

you guys rule!

Comment

Allard, it still doesn't work, even if you copy and paste.
      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

It's fixed now. Sorry for the problems.

Anyway, the document is more or less finished now, and anybody who wants to can add it to their homepages. This would be nice cause this annoying link at my Freeservers page is not 100% nice either.

Comment

First of all: Nice composition of hex editing tips, very useful!
          But how could one expect otherwise, if Allard is doing his work? Go on!

quote:

Anyway, the document is more or less finished now, and anybody who wants to can add it to their homepages. This would be nice cause this annoying link at my Freeservers page is not 100% nice either.

Well, I have no homepage, but I uploaded it at (or at least tried to do so ) to allow a
          direct download with one click (and no banners either).
          Hmm, having tested a little bit, I can't find out why it doesn't work without Go!Zilla, but with it the link should work... I hope at least some other download managers can do it, too...
          Maybe someone can enlighten me?
          [This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited August 16, 2000).]
          Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

Here's the solution to something that was driving me right up a wall:

When I creat my scenarios, I've never bothered to toggle the scenario flag. It never seemed to make a difference, and they worked just fine without it. But then I discovered that Gothmog's CivTweak and CityEditor programs refuse to recognise my .scn files as scenarios (and consequently refuse to display tribe names).

I took a look at Allard's document and found that byte 20 was probably a good place to start. He notes only two settings however:

20 ...1 .... cheat penalty/warning
            .1.. .... scenario file (no effect really)

In the hex editor, this appears as "50" which is EXACTLY the setting in my scenarios. Stumped, I then opened several other scenario files (2194Days.scn and a couple others), and their setting was "D0". In Allards notation, that would look like this:

20 ...1 .... cheat penalty/warning
            1... .... (toggle?)
            .1.. .... scenario file (no effect really)

To see what would happen, I changed byte 20 in AE-1200B.scn from 50 to D0, and voila! Not only does the scenario still work, but now it is recognized as a scenario by both of Gothmog's progams! Whew.
            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

I may sound dumb asking this but is there any way to change the city style of civilizations without hex-editing?
              *grumbles about work*

Comment

Yes, but the Civ2 logic is flawed when it comes to displaying them. I recommend using CivTweak instead. It is available on my site.

------------------
                St. Leo
                http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X