To any good RF players...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To any good RF players...

I`m crap at Red Front, but I don`t know how to improve my game. On my current on, it`s Summer 1942, and the Germans are starting to overwhelm me. I don`t know what I`ve done wrong. If anyone wants, I`ll send them my save game. Just reply in the affirmative and I`ll e-mail it to you.

P.S If you want it to be sent to an address other than the one in your profile, say so in your post, otherwise I`ll just send it to the one in your profile.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Please send it to me, I'd like to see how others play.

------------------
    Lancer: MarkL, well said, everything...

"Only resolution and habit can let me make an entry tonight. I am too miserable, too low-spirited, too sick of the world and all in it, including life itself, that I would not care if I heard this moment the flapping of the wings of the Angel of Death."
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Let`s see...

I`m mainly building T-34/76`s, IL-2`s, and AA Batteries. I`m researching Mobile Warfare III, and I`m holding onto a line of cities more or less along the Volga (I think that`s the river). A lot of my less well-producing cities are building either Motorized Infantry and Red Guard. But I just can`t break the German lines.

If you need more info, just ask.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

Nemo made Red Front so that its hard to stop the Germans in Summer 1942. Instead of counter attacking, build up your defences on the Volga, and save your offencive units for Winter, when the Russians have a decicive advantag. Then counter attack with EVERYTHING you have!
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I have played both Red Front v1.3 and v1.4.

The main thing to remember is: stay on the defensive! Do not attempt a counterattack until early 1943. Let the Germans impale themselves on your defences.

Your refugees: get them well behind your lines and start founding new cities in the mountain regions and on the plains leading to the mountains. Build lots and lots of industries to go with your cities. Your plan is to overwhelm the Germans with MORE troops.

Troops: tanks are nice - but they take a long time to build. Get some of your faster cities to crank out tanks. Concentrate on Cossacks - cheap to build and they ignore terrain - good attack values too. Red guard are good in the winter - ignore terrain costs. And they can put up excellent fight against German tanks and infantry.

In the early years - found cities, build industries, crank out cossacks and red guard, with as many tanks and AA as you can. Don't worry about artillery at this stage. Also a few fighters and bombers (to handle those Tiger tanks at the battle of Kursk).

Use partisans in the swamps to harrass advancing German troops - you must stop Germans at Stalingrad - and NOT let them advance into your oil fields.

But again - in the early stages - play defensive - with only limited counterattacks (for example - after Germans attack a city - send a couple of tanks a couple of hexes and take out the damaged German tanks and then retreat your tanks back into your city) Hit and run tactics should be the order of the day. Keep building up your troops - you should be able to found another dozen cities (no kidding) - for these build only a barracks and then crank out cossacks and red guard infantry.

When winter comes - you will have the advantage - red guard and cossacks can attack with no penalties - your tanks will be tough - limited counterattacks in the winter - but do not expose your troops - hit the Germans and then withdraw to safety.

Then in early to mid-1943 - you should be able to start advancing - slowly taking one city at a time - but be careful - Germans will still have quite a punch - just take your time - and bomb, harass and keep producing military units... keep going and you will do it.

You may have to play this scenario a couple of times in order to properly get a feel for what you need to do - there is a lot going on in this scenario - and make sure that you read the readme file as it contains a lot of very necessary info. Hope this helps - good luck

------------------
          Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
          That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
          [This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited May 25, 2000).]

Comment

Paul - What was your tech path? And what types of units did you build?

Xin and Mark and others have posted how they beat the game - have you read their strategies? If so what specific things didn't work for you?
            Be the bid!

Comment

May I have a look at it? Please send it to me. If you have saved files for previous turns please also send them to me.

Comment

Sorry to say this Paul, but your situation is pretty hopeless.

1. The Germans have bribed the Fortified Battery near Leningrad so there's a big chance you'll lose the city.

2. The Germans have captured Kerch and Rostow, so they can now advance directly to Stalingrad or the Caucusus.

3. You've also lost Smolensk and all other cities west of Moscow.

I don't know if you've read my strategy or not, but holding Kerch, Rostow and preferably Smolenk is of the utmost importance. If you lose them you will have very little chance to win the scenario, unless you have a ****load of aircraft, heavy tanks, tankhunters and rocketlaunchers ready to retake those cities. But since you don't have that many of them you can't win anymore Also, in the early parts of the scenario (41/43) you should have build lots of Cossack Cavalry units, they have the best price/performance ratio. Sorry Comrade, but the fight is lost

The main thing to remember is: stay on the defensive! Do not attempt a counterattack until early 1943. Let the Germans impale themselves on your defences.

I was already launching counter attacks in winter 41 and winter 42. Very effective too.

Then in early to mid-1943 - you should be able to start advancing - slowly taking one city at a time - but be careful - Germans will still have quite a punch - just take your time - and bomb, harass and keep producing military units... keep going and you will do it.

I started a massive counter offensive in winter 42. Already captured more then a dozen German cities before winter 43. In September 1943 I was in Poland (Warsaw and other cities too) and planning to advance into Germany in the winter.

------------------
                Lancer: MarkL, well said, everything...

"Only resolution and habit can let me make an entry tonight. I am too miserable, too low-spirited, too sick of the world and all in it, including life itself, that I would not care if I heard this moment the flapping of the wings of the Angel of Death."

Comment

I had a feeling this was going to happen

Anyway, it`s only a game, so I`ll just have start again. Good thing I`m not Stalin

Comment

Actually if he holds Moscow and Stalingrad, he still has a very good chance of winning. He just needs to build up his industrial base and counter-attack in 1943. He'll need Il-2s, T-34/85s, and Katyushas (the more of these the better).

Comment

No he can't win...he doesn't have enough forces in his big cities, and even if he can hold Stalingrad he can't protect the Caucasus too. Chances of winning are very slim indeed.

Comment

Paul, I received your file, but it was a 1946 Summer saved file, not as you described, 1942. Could you resend the file again?

I don't know if it works, but surrounding Rostov with your Caucassus Calcary units (all in the same turn) may force the units supported by the city to disband. That way Caucasus is relatively safe.

Comment

Paul-

If you look below on this forum, you will find several threads dedicated to Red Front. I found them enormously useful.

Comment

Hey guys, come on. It`s only a game. Anyway, I think we`ve determined that I`m pretty screwed anyway. I didn`t really develop the Urals much anyway (I tend to develop the nearer cities like Gorkiy and Astrakhan instead), so I`m pretty ****ed.

Xin Yu: I`ll send you that save file as soon as I can.

Comment

BTW, thanks for that stuff you sent me, Sortub. I only just found it when I checked my e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                              X