No announcement yet.

Apolyton Hall of Fame: December 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So let me get this straight - while people who have really contributed to civ development like Harlan, Mercator and many others don't seem to warrant inclusion in the Hall of Fame, anybody who posts enough crap in the OT section is lionised as a hero?

Go figure......
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Maybe 'poly needs something like a council of elders where the learned can reward the truely deserving
      We tried to get a veterans committee up last january, but that didn't work very well.

As for all OTers in the Lead:

1. oedo- (50) 75---125 CIV II
      2. ixnay- (78) 42---120 CIV III/DEMOGAMES
      3. Boris Godunov – (77) 38---115 OT
      4. Reismark- (79) 26--105 OT/CIV II
      5. DanS- (80) 16---97 OT
      6. UnOrthOdOx- (67) 25---92 DEMOGAMES

only one OTer in the top 6 as of now

--
      So let me get this straight - while people who have really contributed to civ development like Harlan, Mercator and many others don't seem to warrant inclusion in the Hall of Fame, anybody who posts enough crap in the OT section is lionised as a hero?
      The OT is the most active section of apoltyon...
      Apolyton Hall of Fame has been more for the forum than for out-of-forum achievements (at least how I have seen it) even though it is supposed to be for "community achievements" like the mods, etc. that you have so graciously crafted for the community... The reason that people who post more are elected is because they 'contribute' every day... whereas mods, although they can be played every day- aren't exactly in front of people's faces 24/7 like OT and talkative posters.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'm with Gareth on this one.

So what you're essentially saying is that it's not the QUALITY of the "contribution," it's the QUANTITY. Rattle on endlessly about crap in the OT and you're in, huh?

I'll stick with the League. I'm after quality.
        Lost in America.
        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

not the QUALITY of the "contribution,"
          Pretty much. if someone only does one thing once, no matter how good it is, he's not likely to get in.

But if he's consistently 'there' and 'in your face' then he'll probably eventually make it...
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

What's OT? Off Topic?
            Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

OT= Off Topic.
              -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                We tried to get a veterans committee up last january, but that didn't work very well.
                OK, fair enough

As for all OTers in the Lead:

1. oedo- (50) 75---125 CIV II
                2. ixnay- (78) 42---120 CIV III/DEMOGAMES
                3. Boris Godunov – (77) 38---115 OT
                4. Reismark- (79) 26--105 OT/CIV II
                5. DanS- (80) 16---97 OT
                6. UnOrthOdOx- (67) 25---92 DEMOGAMES

only one OTer in the top 6 as of now
                Are you serious? Ixnay is something of an OT regular, and I'm pretty sure that Oedo spends a lot of time there as well.

I'm not complaining - IMO all the current members of the HoF deserve to be there, for their contributions to the boards if nothing else, it would just be nice if the votes happened to go towards some of the legends of Civ who don't post all that often as others.

*starts creating dozens of Harlan Thompson supporting DLs *
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I have a cunning plan

Originally posted by Mercator
                  The Hall of Fame has mostly been an OT business until these "elections", partly because of that it's not something to be taken too seriously... It's still nice if it actually lives up to its name though.
                  Thanks to Darkcloud for effectively expanding the electoral roll this time to On-topic ppl ... I find it shameful that previously only OT ppl have been aware of and participated in the time-limited elections. Result: a high number of inductees from the OT, especially in 2001, who have no enduring legacy.

I'm sure the rest of ACS members like Exile who never bother with OT feel the same.

So here's my plan (can't do it this time as too many votes have been taken already): prepare resumés for our leading nominees (ie Harlan) so their contributions cannot go unnoticed by the "swamp" dwellers, and include cross-posts to the other sections where they've been active, mobilise their votes and our guys are sure to get in.
                  "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

The OT Board, while all off-topic, is so large and active as to be as substantial a community as the On Topic boards. Many people eventually migrate to the OT Board. In fact, it can be said that the length of membership of members increases the further down you go (from RoN to Civ3 to Civ2 to OT)
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

So here's my plan (can't do it this time as too many votes have been taken already): prepare resumés for our leading nominees (ie Harlan) so their contributions cannot go unnoticed by the "swamp" dwellers, and include cross-posts to the other sections where they've been active, mobilise their votes and our guys are sure to get in.
                      Very good plan. I wish you luck with it. I'd vote for Mike Jesczenka if you want to try to get him into the hall at some point... and I'd like to vote for Harlan, but I haven't really had enough contact with him and the stuff he's done to really be able to vote for him. (I make it a policy to only vote for people that I know reasonably well on apolyton.) [Therefore that's why I voted for JohnT, Googlie and korn469]

The OT Board, while all off-topic, is so large and active as to be as substantial a community as the On Topic boards. Many people eventually migrate to the OT Board. In fact, it can be said that the length of membership of members increases the further down you go (from RoN to Civ3 to Civ2 to OT)
                      Very true. People like Imran and Iain Lindley pretty much just stick to the OT nowadays... and they've been at apolyton since the dawn of time
                      -->Visit CGN!

Comment

as a thing of interest, I compiled predictions for next election... these predictions might help you in focusing your campaign for voting:

(Hopefully they display correctly--- I pasted them from excel)

---
                        NAME / CURRENT VOTES/ MAY VOTES/ DEC VOTES/ PREDICTED VOTES/ PREDICTED TOTAL NEXT ELECTION
                        notyoueither 90 31 39 45 135
                        Immortal Wombat 83 25 34 43 126
                        War4Ever 81 23 31 44 125
                        JohnT 88 15 31 35 123
                        UnOrthOdOx 92 35 25 30 122
                        Scouse Gits 87 26 29 35 122
                        DarkCloud 84 24 24 24 108
                        Urban Ranger 74 7 29 33 107
                        Sprayber 78 13 13 13 91
                        Spiffor 56 28 29 28 84
                        alexman 62 7 16 20 82
                        Master Zen 53 27 26 28 81
                        Kramsib 45 8 37 35 80
                        Harlan 42 7 27 35 77
                        Mleonard 67 12 14 9 76
                        El Awrence 55 20 20 20 75
                        korn469 65 11 9 9 74
                        Alinestra Covelia 58 11 14 16 74
                        Googlie 57 22 20 15 72
                        Fez/Giancarlo 62 3 12 8 70
                        WesW 54 14 16 16 70
                        Dr. Strangelove 57 18 11 12 69
                        Catt 58 4 8 8 66
                        Big Crunch 45 26 19 21 66
                        Shi Huangdi 51 20 8 2 53
                        Post Count Zero 44 18 4 4 48
                        Sten Sture 42 4 4 4 46
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Harlan 42 7 27 35 77
                          Harlan clocks in at 77 total votes if he gets 35 next time... next time I'll probably allow three people to be inducted- so basically, if voting goes as I predict, then a Civ III demogamer, a CTP/OTer and a Civ IIMPer will get in.

However, notyoueither,JohnT, and UnOrthOdOx are currently battling for the #6 position on the ladder right now and if all three of them tie, then you won't have to worry about overcoming their votes and can campaign to the people who would have voted for them.

basically, you should probably try to focus your campaign at the OT veterans who'll remember the scenario designers and civ II... all the civ III people are probably lost to you, except the extreme newbies who can be coerced into voting for vets
                          -->Visit CGN!

Comment

This historic December 2003 Apolyton Hall of Fame vote saw the following new records:
                            *198 Voters placing 590 votes
                            *57 New Entrants onto the hall's voting rolls.
                            *154 Apolytoners receiving votes
                            *A record 138 votes received for the Top Vote-getter (oedo).
                            *A record 88 Votes in one session (oedo). [In essence, he was within 22 votes of being elected solely on votes from this round)
                            * New secondary runner-up award goes to Boris Godunov who managed 51 votes in one round.

*The following were elected:

1. oedo- (50) 88---138
                            2. Boris Godunov – (77) 51---128
                            3. ixnay- (78) 42---120
                            4. Reismark- (79) 26--105
                            5. UnOrthOdOx- (67) 36---103
                            6. DanS- (80) 20---101

The Last vote (May 2003 Saw)
                            *159 Voters placing 418 votes
                            *150 Apolytoners receiving votes
                            *110 Total Votes for the Top Vote-Receiver (Trip)
                            *A then-record 66 Votes in one session for Trip.
                            *A then-2nd ever most 43 Votes in one session (Zylka)

1. Trip- (45) 66---110
                            2. DinoDoc- (68) 24---92
                            3. Paul- (50) 39---89
                            4. Zylka- (38) 43---81

Last Year's December (2002) Vote saw
                            *73 Voters placing 140 votes
                            *59 Votes for the Top Vote-Receiver (Slowwhand)
                            *A then-record one-round 33 votes in one session (orange)
                            *A then-2nd ever most 24 votes in one session (Asher)

1 Slowwhand- ------------(37) 22----59
                            2 Frogger [Krazy Horse]- ------- (37) 17----54
                            3 Asher- ------(28) 24---52

--
                            In essence, the hall of fame has exploded in the last year with participation more than doubling!

This participation has come about gradually as the Hall's polling places have expanded across the site.

This expansion was partially due to the amazingly useful "My Threads" feature and suggestions by certain posters.

Hopefully this trend will continue and next vote will see somewhere around 230-250 voters placing votes!

---
                            Profiles of the Newly Elected
                            Reismark Founder of the Hodadian Award Central, gifting awards to the best Civ-Sites on the Net and the best Civ II scenarios around! He also runs the Apolyton Fantasy Football Challenge and several other contests in the OT.

oedo Discoverer of the “oedo years,” the discovery “that the period of disorder in Civ 2 for revolutions follows a pattern, and by knowing this pattern, you know when to revolt to eliminate the period of anarchy” oedo is well known and respected in the Civ II-Strategy community for this discovery that taught those of us who “thought we knew civ” that there was more to it than we “thought we knew.”

ixnay Humorous poster; Participant in the Civ II Democracy Game, he’s a real whiz with photoshop and graphics; and happens to be the Rise of Nation’s content editor... and is an Apolyton Staff member.

Boris Godunov Friendly OT debater. Much loved.

UnOrthOdOx For his work on the "Jungle Gazette" and other Democracy game publications... as well as his work on the democracy games themselves.

DanS OT Poster and debater. Economist.
                            -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                            X