Vietnam war scenario.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam war scenario.

First of all I wanted to apologise to everyone for starting yet another thread, but for some bizarre reason I can't seem to post in the ones I have already started . Once again I'm sorry to clog up the forum.

First of all some data on the scenario:

"It is now June 1965, and many important changes have taken place: in the previous year: Nikita Khrushchev was replaced by Leonid Brezhniev as leader of USSR, China has succesfully tested its first atomic bomb, Lyndon B. Johnson is re-elected as President of the United States in a land-slide victory and what is most important for you - the congress passes the "Gulf fo Tonkin Resolution" and the USA gets fully involved in the Vietnam conflict.
    You are General Nguyen Van Thieu, the leader of a new South Vietnamese goverment, the 10th government in 20 months. You have a very difficult task before you: you have to stabilize a country which is torn apart by bhuddist riots, rising crime, sects, incompetent officers, unimaginable corruption, and what is most important a major guerilla war against the Viet Cong and a threat of aggresion from your northern neighbour run by a communistic goverment led by Ho Chi Minh.
    An american intervention is the only thing that can help you win the war and save your nation from the red plague. Alas the Americans are not a loyal ally and sooner or later they will leave South Vietnam on its own and you have to get the nation and the army ready for that day. If South Vietnam survives it will easily become a country of freedom and welfare like Taiwan or South Korea, but it may as easily turn to the bankrupt communistic state it is today. You musn't let that happen. The people of South Vietnam deserve a life of freedom, don't fail the trust they put in you."

Basically I intend to do a good military directed scenario, with enough political, cultural, geographical and historicall aspects in it to give it a really "Vietnamese" feeling to it and at the same time makle it unique from all the other CIV2 Vietnam scenarios.
    As I said you will take the role of General Thieu and run South Vietnam, not USA, not the Western powers but only this small country. You will be able to use American units in the theatre, but at a certain point they will leave Vietnam. You should use that time in order to build up a dependable army, a stable economy and "win the hearts and minds" of the people in order to pull the communists back to the north.
    Basically there will be two ways of wining this scenario - defending South Vietnam and surviving to 1978, or attacking North Vietnam itself and liberating Hanoi.
    The second option is a more glorious one, but it brings the risk of a Chinese or even Soviet intervention and maybe the brakeout of a nuclear WWIII.

As you might all already expect I'm posting this also to say that I need some help. I would like to ask all of you do you happen to know about (or make one):
    - A good icon of a Huey Helicopter (Vietnam won't be the same without it)
    - A nice rice paddy terrain piece.
    - A jungle terrain set (consisting of 16 pieces like the original forest terrain)
    - A vietnamese cities grapic (you know, bamboo huts with small cities, pagoda's and factories with big ones)
    - Any other graphics he belives to be perfect for a Vietnam scenario.

I'll post the unit graphics I have chosen for now, all the graphics with signatures on them still have them. But if anyone finds his graphics among them, and doesn't want to make them available for me, just mail me and I'll take them down.
    Here are the graphics:
    http://apolyton.net/upload/files/KASHANKA/Units.bmpI have just started making the scenario and as I have little time, and much learining at school I HOPE it will be ready this year.

Love,
    KASHANKA

The U.S. President's name was Lyndon B. Johnson, not B. Johnson.
    -rmsharpe

Comment

Sounds like a promising scenario!
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't recall where these are from, but these are some fantastic jungle graphics like you needed.
        Attached Files
        -rmsharpe

Comment

FINALLY!!!!!
          A scenario about the vietnam war (i hope this will be a good one)

Well, i strongly suggest you to make the Huey work as an "air transport".
          Something similar to what Pablostuka is going to do with the C-130 hercules in his "Marruecos" scenario
          South Atlantic Conflict v1.2 - Civ II Scenario
          Iron Curtain v1.1 - Civ II Scenario

Comment

Groovy jungles, RM!
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

It should be an excellent scenario, based on your work on Pac Gen

Here is a good place to start. Several scenarios on the Vietnam War should contain a lot of what you are looking for:

The Vietnam War by B.Stein and others, available at Civ Fanatics:

Cheers!

Comment

Erm, the Australian graphic you're using is about 20 years out of date Here's a more accurate one, along with an improved Cobra made by Andrew Livings (aka 'Panda')
                Attached Files
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

"nemo" style Cobra from Bernd Brosing:
                  Attached Files
                  "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Sounds like a promising scenario!
                    It should be an excellent scenario, based on your work on Pac Gen
                    (i hope this will be a good one)
                    Well, I hope to make it a nice scenario, but one should remember that this will be my first scenario for Civ2... So any sort of advice, corrections and ideas from every expirienced scenario creator will be appreciated.

The U.S. President's name was Lyndon B. Johnson, not B. Johnson.
                    Yes, I know that, thios was an editorial mistake (damn those cut-paste methods!)

Hmm... Pardon my lack of knowledge, but how does an "air transport" unit work in Civ2?
                    It would be great to use the Huey as a transport for other units, but I didn't know it was possible to use air units in such a role in Civ2.

Thank's for all the replies and advice, I'll take them all into consideration.

Comment

Finally a new vietnam war scenario!

Comment

Looking forward to this. Your opening description did a really good job in describing what you plan to do. Good luck!

There are a few Vietnam scenarios on the web alraedy if you're looking for any ideas (though IMHO none of them are anything special). I think techumseh was also working on a Vietnam scenario at some stage...

Air transport is where you can get an 'air' unit to fly troops e.g. Nemo's gliders in SF. You have a sea transport unit and give it the paradrop flag - any units asleep in it will also be transported to the new position when the unit is paradropped.
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Hi Kashanka, I would glad to offer my artistical skills. Just follow the link to find out what I am talking about. I hope this will be a winner scenario as it sounds like a winner scnenario ..... Good Luck, anyway

Comment

Hi Kashanka, I would glad to offer my artistical skills.
                            I saw your works Jim, and they are topnotch stuff, I'll be more than happy to accept any help from someone as talented as you (I mean it.)
                            Anything you come up with is welcome, now the things I need the most are a Huey graphic (the one I have stands out) a A1-E Skyraider, and some South east asia style infantry I could use for Korean, Cambodia, Thai and Khmer Rouge units.
                            But as I said, EVERYTHING is welcome.

Love,
                            KASHANKA

Comment

Pretty interesting, Kashanka! I'm really looking foward for this one.

Maybe you want to use my UH-1 Huey unit

Originally posted by academia
                              Something similar to what Pablostuka is going to do with the C-130 hercules in his "Marruecos" scenario
                              Thanks for the advertising, academia

Oh, Kashanka...that idea is very simple, used by Captain Nemo in his Second Front scenario. You only have to create a sea transport unit with the paradrop ability. But this feature only works paradroping from cities or airbases, and if you paradrop (land) your unitm in open terrain, you'll lose it, as it won't be able to move anymore (btw, imagine that it has crashed.

For this scenario, I suggest you to modify the airbase graphic (in the Cities.gif) to some kind of 'landing zone', or a clear in the middle of the jungle, so your Hueys will be able to paradrop again once there.

I hope I've explained myself clearly...

Follow this link to learn more about this awesome feature

Good luck with your scen!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X