Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody (Americans) find this offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes the scenario will entirely be about corporate deals and the hi-tech race and there aren't any 'cultural' advances or units.

putting the game aside for a while...

I'm actually looking at this project from my point of view which is slated more towards admiration than cultural bashing. Basically I'm already brainwashed and i think america is going to take over the world and america should take over the world. Maybe not in my lifetime but eventually. I love A&W Root Beer and Star Trek (but not NFL).

Why do I say this? America is like the Borg but without the inviseration. They takeover peacefully over many generations and whoever is 'conquered' is always willing and everyone is free to resist as long as they want. As the world becomes more american, america becomes more like the world (think San Francisco) and at some point there won't be any distinction and then we can concentrate on warp drive and finding the Vulcans.
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

And then what will become of our precious racism?

Comment

Originally posted by kobayashi
        ...and then we can concentrate on warp drive and finding the Vulcans.
        excellent!
        "The more things change the more they stay the same."

Comment

I deny all rumors that Olivia Newton John is Australian. She's evil.

Basically I'm already brainwashed and i think america is going to take over the world and america should take over the world. Maybe not in my lifetime but eventually. I love A&W Root Beer and Star Trek
          kobayashi, I think that the tropical heat is starting to get to you.

Anyway, based on my extensive experiance of Singapore [a total of 4 hours spent jetlagged out of my mind at Changi Airport], Singapore is being taken over by Australians
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by POTUS
            Very funny.

FYI, Amando Modigliani was French.
            I'll take him out then. I only thought of him cause I recently saw his obituary and the words Miller and Modigliani came to mind. What was Miller's first name then and was he an Americana?
            This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
              Sums up the current global US cultural and economic dominance quite nicely.

Just one thing though: Roger Moore is a Brit and Olivia Newton John is a Brit brought up in Australia. While we're at it, was Olivia Newton John the best you could come up with? How about Julia Roberts?
              I didn't really checked where my 'Aces' were from. They were collaboraters anyway and already flying for the enemy. Julia Roberts is too young.

But to satisfy everyone

Are any of these guys Americans?

Karen Carpenter
              Barry Manilow
              Robert Deniro
              Al Pachino
              Paul Newman
              Steve McQueen
              Clint Eastwood
              Yul Bryner
              Charles Bronson
              James Coburn

(this is fast turning out to be a list of the magnificent seven)

Comment

LOL!

I am not offended.

But mighty though she is, America will never rule the world.

And niether will any other nation for that matter.
                Humankind cannot tolerate a single leader-country.

Unless that leader is Great Britain, that is!
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think the scenario will be really fun though, if kobayashi's RON is anything to go by!

Comment

Charlie Bronson may be American, but he's a corpse now.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling

Humankind cannot tolerate a single leader-country.

Unless that leader is Great Britain, that is!
                      I think it's "was", Curt.
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

*We'll be baaaack!*

Comment

not going too far off topic........

i dont think americans should be affended by this, sure it's a little anti, but america is the "empire of our times" and people delight in ribbing it out of them because of thier success. Did the same thing with us brits during our empire, it's a part of history.
                          The reason i believe for all this anti-american sentiment is because american politicians have effectively calculated how they can make sure their empire will never fall, which goes against the course of history and it is bound to happen therefore.....
                          Religion is the opiut of the people

Also known as The Limey on Civfan

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                            Charlie Bronson may be American, but he's a corpse now.
                            There are a few corpses in that list.
                            Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by kobayashi

putting the game aside for a while...

I'm actually looking at this project from my point of view which is slated more towards admiration ..... they takeover peacefully over many generations and whoever is 'conquered' is always willing and everyone is free to resist as long as they want ....
                              Freedom of expression is a core American value, so express yourself freely whether it is offensive or not. It's the most American thing you could do.

There is little doubt that American culture is invading the world. Contrary to popular belief however, this cultural invasion it is not premeditated. Americans don't sit around talking about how to usurp the cultural values of other nations. In fact, most Americans are unaware of the existence of other nations.

Technology has given people free time and extra money. American culture is simply the totality of ways to get people to spend their free time, spending their extra money. It was bound to happen somewhere in the world, America just happened to be a good incubator.

Comment

Hell yes!

DAMN! that's a good argument.

Lost in America.
                                "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                                "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                                "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Working...
                                X