Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad announcement

Hi my fellow Civ2 community,

I have to annouce a very, very sad fact: Due to software problems with my OS (Windows XP) I have lost not only all my programs but also all my data. Therefore I have to quit working on the following projects The World Today Update, Hammer of the East, Operation Market Garden, Unternehmen Barbarossa as all my data is lost. I am very sorry to tell you these facts but I will be back - hopefully with even more sophisticated scenarios, graphics and Civ2 stuff then before!

I hope you understand my rfeasons for quitting that projects but the loss of the data leaves me no other option. I am very sorry, especially for the Market Garden scenario as this would have become some kind of masterpiece. Again, I am sorry but do not forget: I WILL BE BACK. Back again.

Wow, that sucks Jim

As a brand new XP user, I'd be very interested to hear what went wrong so that I can avoid this happening to me.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

have to annouce a very, very sad fact: Due to software problems with my OS (Windows XP) I have lost not only all my programs but also all my data. Therefore I have to quit working on the following projects The World Today Update, Hammer of the East, Operation Market Garden, Unternehmen Barbarossa as all my data is lost. I am very sorry to tell you these facts but I will be back - hopefully with even more sophisticated scenarios, graphics and Civ2 stuff then before!
      My sincere condolences Jim
      I had to abandon two scenarios as a result of hard disk formatting, so I know what does it mean. But I'm sure a Scenario Creation-addict like you will create even better scenarios
      "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
      "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
      The Spanish Civilization Site
      "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Condolences... no backup, no co-project-workers?

Comment

Bad luck, man. This problem happens to me quite regularly. If you have a CD writer, you can try burning a back-up CD every two or so months just to be safe. That's what I do.

Comment

Or you can do that funny raid thing with one disc being the mirror for all others...

Comment

Sh_it happens....
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

My sympathies...

There is nothing more to make a man more sad, than data loss...

I urge everyone to back up all project files...TODAY!
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's bad Jim. I was really looking forward to Operation Market Garden.

But if it's any consolation, there's no shortage of designers in the SLeague who have suffered the same fate. People that design scenarios have far more unstable computers than average.

Maybe we should start a "why does Microsoft makes such shoddy projects" anonymous group.
                  STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
                    Maybe we should start a "why does Microsoft makes such shoddy projects" anonymous group.
                    I think it exists...It's called Linux!
                    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling

I think it exists...It's called Linux!
                      Yay! And its Finnish!
                      "This Nation has earned the right to Live." - Carl Gustav von Mannerheim

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
                      Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal

Comment

Shyte. I was really looking forward to some of those scens.

Comment

Does Civ2 run under Linux?
                          "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
                          "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
                          The Spanish Civilization Site
                          "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Are you sure you can't rescue your data?!

Data can be hardly wiped out from the disk, they are usually inaccessible only (using standard methods), but they still stay on the disk (until they are rewritten by another data).

So try not to use the disk now (so that you don't rewrite your old data) and to save the data (using some tool that ignores the file system and reads the disk directly - like diskedit.exe of Norton utilities). And try to make a complete copy (an 'image') of the disk first!
                            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Man, I thought someone had died! Tragic stuff nonetheless.

With all the hours that are put into scenario design, you should backup your work. Certainly, always backup before upgrading an OS.

As SlowThinker, said, all may not be lost if you have a utility, such as Norton's, which can recover lost data. The more you use the disk, however, the greater the likelihood of overwriting your old data.

BTW, what happened? Did the XP registry crap itself? This periodically happens to me in XP via dodgy drivers (even signed ones it seems), but I replace the corrupt registry files with older ones from System Restore.
                              Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Working...
                              X