Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Shields

This is probably utterly useless, but anyhow

Did anyone know that it's possible to change the civ2 unit shield size and shape? I was messing with a units file and noticed that if you change the red area of the shield sillhouette in the top right-hand corner of units.bmp, it has a corresponding effect in-game.

This is the standard shape:
    Attached Files
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

...and here's an edited one. Seems you can have any size or shape you want, as long as it's the same size or smaller than the green boundary delineation. If you remove all the red area you are left with the health-bar only.

Possible uses: erm... now you've got me. I suppose you can have rectangular national flags without the bottom of the civ-colour shield sticking out underneath, or how about Samurai-style narrow rectangular shields. OK, this discovery has absolutely no practical value whatsoever
    Attached Files

Comment

OK, this discovery has absolutely no practical value whatsoever
      But it's a very interesting discovery fairline
      "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
      "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
      The Spanish Civilization Site
      "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Well this information can be usefull in some situation... you never know...
        "[A thoughtful Quote]" -Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think somebody else already discovered this; there's a sci-fi units pack out there that includes "Star Trek" shields in the shape of that weird logo that looks like a mutant caret.

Not that you haven't done some very clever innovating, you're just not technically the first to do it.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Amazing! You think you know everything there is to know about something, and there it is, right under your nose. Good work, Fairline!
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I was fairly certain that this was common knowledge but just not useful?

Comment

I guess nothing's new in civ really. Your right about it being useless as well

Comment

Well, if that makes you happy the unit that is depicted in your screenshots is really cool!
                  "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                  Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

This was used in my The Little Big Ice Age That Could SDC4 entry.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

If tried fiddling around with this for 'Appeasement and Agression', but it came to nothing. I was trying to add a wargame style XX to each shield to denote that the unit represented a division. However, the results looked awful Boco tried something similiar in ToT and it also didn't work out satisfactorarly. It's a shame though, as it's a potentially very cool feature.
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I played with it a little more and kinda liked the result in ToT. Of course there's no accounting for my taste. Background contrast is important.

Sadly, this is the most I've done with El Aurens for over 3 weeks.

Plz note the GB. The unit represents the Armenian Legion.
                        Attached Files
                        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

what does that GP stand for? doesn't it make the game crash because there's light pink where there should be dark magenta only?

Comment

It's 'GB' and it stands for Gareth Birch. And no, it doesn't make the game crash; both the pink and purple colours are set to be transparent. Microprose used them to show where the unit base square would be in-game.

Comment

I figured that much. OK then, must have mixed it up with an actual unit colour crossing the usual border of pink and purple. in that case, the game does crash.

Comment

Working...
                              X