Political Correctness getting in the way of Historical Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

St. Leo i read the link, and quite frankly i find it amussing.

I personally do not consider retaliation against partizans an atrocity, and to an objective reader most of the things described there are seen at best, as "uncorfimed".

Many can clearly be identified as propaganda, much like the things told for Germans after WWI.

BTW,how many of you knew that in WWI, Australian troops were not in the habit of taking German prisoners?

I however, do not consider that an atrocity.
      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
      Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
        The SS unit that ran the death camp where special unit that didnot socialize with other units at all. They stay together in their own liveing quater and when they went on leave their stay at their rest camp where they didnot socialize with other germany. There where case of non-jew who where put on death train to death camp by mistake who have to be kill to keep the secret of death camp secret as most germany would have being against the death camp.

Yes, it was the "Totenkompf" division.

They too were rolled in the Wafen-Ss in 1944, to make up with the crippling looses suffered in the Russian front.
        "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

I do not doubt Joakim Peiper's atrocities and that prisoners of war were subject to executions.

That is why i said that untill operation Barbarossa the Germans fought honourably.

After they invaded Russia things just got more "edgy".

Comment

The question isn't whether the Waffen chaps committed atrocities. They most certainly did. The question is how many of other side's atrocities have been quietly swept under the rug of history.

We aren't likely to answer it here, but do feel free to knock yourself out.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Here you can download the Swastika for the game
              I hope I don't get in jail for it but I share the opinion of Wilhelm:
              To ban the flag is simply exaggeration. You do not become a Nazi because of playing the game or look at the flag
              Forbidding the flag does not change history nor does it reverse anything so it's senseless. I think history should be presented as it was even if it was a dark one and I'm further sure that the Wehrmacht did not commit any war crime. After all many high ranking officers tried to kill Hitler I'm not sure about the figures but there were around 15 attempts. The Wehrmacht followed their code of honour to fight for their country even if they knew it was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
                Sava and big Crunch, while having absolutely nothing against you personally i hope you do understand the fault of your arguments.

I am really fed up with the post WW2 anti-nazi propaganda.
                You mean you're fed up with people mentioning the Nazi's ideological belief that Germans are superior and that Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, the disabled etc should be exterminated? Anyone who believes this actions are correct, whether they actually performed them personally or not are not heroes, and should not be treated as such.

I have seen documentaries and read books where the Allied stand at Anzio is characterised as "heroic" and "brave", while the German defense of Normady as "fanatical".
                The difference being that one group was liberating, the other was oppressing.

Nazi, British or Russian these people were soldiers fighting for their own countries. In many cases they ignored their own lives and did their duty with honor.

And that makes them heroes.
                The British, Russians and Americans fought for their countries, the Nazis (as opposed to the Wehrmacht) fought for the ideology of the domination and extermination of others - that is not heroism.

and anyway the Wafen-SS were not involved in any atrocities.
                They were. And of those that weren't involved most were willing to commit them in the name of Hitler.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

You mean you're fed up with people mentioning the Nazi's ideological belief that Germans are superior and that Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, the disabled etc should be exterminated? Anyone who believes this actions are correct, whether they actually performed them personally or not are not heroes, and should not be treated as such.

The difference being that one group was liberating, the other was oppressing.

The British, Russians and Americans fought for their countries, the Nazis (as opposed to the Wehrmacht) fought for the ideology of the domination and extermination of others - that is not heroism.

They were. And of those that weren't involved most were willing to commit them in the name of Hitler.
                  I think you are complete wrong like I think President Bush
                  is complete wrong on his war against Iraq. The Germany General have to called off 3 or 4 planned coup against Hilter in the 1930's. First Hilter has than approval rateing with the Germany public of 98 % plus and Hilter was also
                  very popular with the common soilder in the military. Those two fact make any coup bloodless or very bloodly very unlikely. Many kid ask to day it Hilter was so bad why
                  did many minor counties allied thenself to Germany. First
                  many of the minor nation that Allied thenself to Germany did so as they fear the USSR more and the Germany government was more like their government. I than saying this that America Government is acting more like than facsot state and so Israel act alot like the nazie did.
                  By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I don't see how anything you said fits into what I said.

Are you trying to justify Nazi doctrine?

I understand how Nazi's got to power, and its something that should be avoided in future and not praised. I certainly do not praise Bush or Israel for its actions, but to call them Nazis is blackly ironic and is to not understand what Naziism is.

Comment

There will be no discussion of current affairs in this forum. Take it to the OT. Actions will be taken against those who do not heed this.

Comment

I will heed your advice St.Leo but i just want to say something to avoid mistaken conclussions.It is simply historical data.

The "WAFEN" SS were the field units of the SS directly participating in combat.The term is not a generic term for all the SS members.

Thanks.

Comment

But SS is hardly current affairs. I assumed St Leo was refaring the post earlier with clearly oversteps.

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the post dealing with Bush and Iraq.

Comment

That is why i said that untill operation Barbarossa the Germans fought honourably.

After they invaded Russia things just got more "edgy".
                              First of all, not Russia, but USSR.
                              Secondly, they were "more edgy" as You say, or barbaric, as others say, on the entire eastern front, also in Poland. Again, I do not claim that Soviets in eastern Poland were better.
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                                There will be no discussion of current affairs in this forum. Take it to the OT. Actions will be taken against those who do not heed this.
                                I wasn't intending to.

I still don't get what CharlesBHoff was getting at.

Comment

Working...
                                X