Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the logic behind permanent Terra Incognita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the logic behind permanent Terra Incognita?

Sure, maybe nobody in the world then new about or had discovered certain areas of the world yet, but why make them permanent terra incognita? i don't get it.
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

In the manual it says its area where no man at the time could go because it was too cold or something.

Comment

Yeah, based on the technology, no European army could go trouncing in the Rockies or inner Africa.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Also, do you want even LONGER load times? The map is plenty big as is.
        All syllogisms have three parts.
        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

While you can certainly change history, the game attempts to maintain an atmosphere of the time period and the permanent Terra Incognita does that.

"Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

I read that with really high technology, they can be explored.

Comment

No, permanent Terra Incognita is permanent. It's with higher technology that non Conquistador units can explore normal TI.

"Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Although it's interesting to note that in the boardgame version, (which I own) there are Terra Incognita areas, but less of them. Quite a few of the ones in the computer game can be explored and colonized, like the rest of North and South America.

I personally would have prefered to see less TI, but the concept itself is good.

Joe

Comment

But that can be changed in a custom scenario, I would think. For example, being the first European power to discover the source of the Colorado River in the Rockies. Unless, you can't expose regions that are not there...?

Comment

hey, is boardgame as complex as is this, computer version?

I imagine it may be fun, but who does all the calculations? Or it is much more simplified? Is number of provinces same? (while we are at it, how many provinces are there in EU?)

I played Risk, but even that (very simple game) can become really tedious and boring to play ... how does EU rate compared to it?

Comment

I've heard that the board game takes a day to just set up and several months to play. I imagine that it is horribly complex and that it's complete pain in the ass to finish.

Comment

I know that the reason that the interior of Africa is permanent terra icognita is that prior to the development of Quinine Europeans were running a 90 - 100% mortality rate from Malaria.

The develoment of steam driven engines would also open terra icognita, because it allowed up stream navigation in to the scary jungle lands. Unfortunatley steam boats weren't around during the period of this game.

------------------
                        Thousands of monkeys are creating havoc in the corridors of power, barging into government offices, stealing food, threatening bureaucrats, and even ripping apart valuable documents.

Hey! That dried vomit under the couch looks like a horny toad.
                        Thousands of monkeys are creating havoc in the corridors of power, barging into government offices, stealing food, threatening bureaucrats, and even ripping apart valuable documents.

Hey! That dried vomit under the couch looks like a horny toad.

Comment

The game is played in 5 year turns apparently but many of the mechanics from the CG are close approximations of the BG that inspired it. Fortunately the computer can keep track of all the paperwork without you having to scribble it all down. Most players who have tried the boardgame and posted on the forums like both versions but there are a few exceptions. Normally it is the heresy of switching to realtime they dislike.

IIRC it is unlikely that you will see alternative maps. From postings in the forum the map is about the most hardcoded part of the game. Perhaps there may be some justification if a whole new game pack was released that needed a different map for some reason. I don't mind PTI but it would be nice if the fog was replaced by legends like "darkest Africa" "frozen wastelands" or "dense jungle" once you discovered enough adjacent provinces instead of left as a sepia monotone.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                          X