Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Dictatorship, a cautionary tale of Victoria

A Cautionary Tale.

I played as Brazil, I wanted to bring about Simon Bolivars dream of a united South America, so I crushed the Piritani Republic, annexed Uruguay, and threw my weight around abit as the local bully. Then decided I needed to industrialize, and my greedy eyes swung across the ocean towards Korea, Korea with it's iron and coal, Korea with its large population that could fill the ranks of my many dreamed-of divisions.

With Korea I'd have the resources to build my own military/industrial complex... or at least build the start of one, instead of having to all the time import expensive weapons from Europe with which to terrorize and conquor my fellow South Americans (well, perhaps it was the dream of Simon Bolivars Evil Twin that I was endevoured upon). Unfortunately the damn-blasted Ruskies had already made a start on Korea, and taken the north of the country for themsleves (those greedy bastards!) No doubt they were waiting for their five year treaty to end before making-off with the rest

So, time was of the Essence.

I manage to build the transport fleet, I manage the minimum twenty divisions or so that I consider is needed for a decent takeover of Korea, I send in the troops, and they quickly gobble up the south of Korea. The Russians, seeing what I was upto, declare war on me (I made border with them with a very high badboy reputation acquired through my un-sportsmanly activities back in SA). Alarmed, I cut their armies in Korea off by invading an unguarded coastal province they'd taken from China as their corridor to the Korean peninsula with five divisions, and dug into the mountains. With no transport navy to speak of, the seven or so divisions they had in Korea were easily destroyed by my superior numbers. All of Korea now belonged to Brazeo! The Russian, unable to do much about it, grudgingly asked for peace and slunk off.

This was Brazils Epoch, because after that it all went downhill. As I settled into the occupation of Korea, I needed yet more troops to keep the divisions there strong, and it's about then that elections back home bought the wretched Liberals into power. Those sop bastards slashed taxes and I could no longer afford to keep Brazil from plunging into debt, continue the high spending on education to turn Brazeo into an industrial giant, AND maintain high troop levels in the ever more Insurgent-ridden Korea.

Firm, Strong Action was called for, and so I kicked the Liberals out and installed a Conservative administration in power. This changed the constitution, I had overuled the ill-informed choice of the people and slapped Brazilian democracy in the face, the Constitution was thus changed to that of Presidential Dictatorship.

At first everything seemed fine, factorys were being built, peasants being promoted to clerks and craftsmen, railroads being laid, and the money was starting to pour in! Simon Bolivars Evil Twins firm and steady guidance was paying results, Brazils burgeoning industry powered by Korean coal, starting to churn out steel and other goods made with Korean iron. But for some reason the people were ungrateful (curse their wretched souls!)

Militancy was rising, Brazils overstretched military was having to deal with an ever more bloody insurgancy in Korea and ever more militant rebels at home, it was the Dictatorship you see. Even though Brazilians were getting richer, buying more and more of their goods, they just would not accept Brazils new political system, they rejected the legitimacy of the government outright (probably something to do with their concept of Liberty as a national value or something, who knows, or was that corrected to an appreciation of the far more sensible Order as the true value of Brazil, I don't recall).

Anyway with no end of the rising militancy in sight I called elections again, but nothing worked, Presidential Dictatorship replaced Presidential Dictatorship, and Brazil was devided into between sixty and seventy percent Liberal, and thirty to forty percent Anarcho Liberals. The whole thing was a bloody and irretrievable mess and I had to throw in the towl in the end. That was my first and last experience with the curse of the Presidential Dictatorship.

My advise to you my friend, give Presidential Dictatorship a wide berth. Sure at first it seems the road to power and riches, but it ends in civil war and strife, and nothing more. Maybe others could have a better experience with it, the Prussians, or some other sensible people like that.
    Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

It sounds like the root cause of your problems was that you built a military larger than you could afford. If you had a very high badboy you would need a large military.

Your problem was not Presidential Dictatorship. Liberal government is not a problem if your country is well managed.

It sounds like you did not manage your badboy, your military and your economy well.

Comment

High taxes=more liberals.
      You can turn an entire nations population to liberals within a month even if they have order as their national value with high taxes...
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Though I hate to waste energy and time pointing out things I've already posted to those who don't read posts in their entirety the first time round-

Even though Brazilians were getting richer, buying more and more of their goods, they just would not accept Brazils new political system, they rejected the legitimacy of the government outright
        Hi taxes weren't the problem, maybe I didn't make it clear in the post, but I never tax above fifty percent except in exceptional circumstances and not persistantly.

Plurality was what went wrong with this one, high plurality. That's why I made the post in the first place, that miliarily and economicaly everything was going swimmingly, but poltically, the whole ride had become inherantly ****ed up.

I've since learnt that an event installs the Presidential Dictatorship at first, I think previous policies raised plurality so much (11+ in many cases) that a Presidential Dictatorship just would not be worn by the pops. Shifting back to the universal suffrage democracy I'd had previously to that became impossible because the Presidential Dictatorship kept kicking in again. I still don't undestand why exactly though.
        Last edited by problem_child; November 15, 2005, 08:01.
        Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Actually, I did read your post in its entirety the first time around.

It sounds very much like you have mismanaged your economy and your badboy. If you are playing as Brazil and acquired significant badboy BEFORE you industrialised then you are begging for trouble.

Twenty divisions before industrialising and railroading is something you can not afford with Brazil without creating problems for yourself.

BTW To throw out a democratically elected government should be regarded as a very big decision, you are asking for trouble with your people. (did you seriously consider selling Korea, or granting independence, as an alternative?)

I am saying "you probably dug yourself into a hole, a hole so deep you couldn't get out of it. Don't dig holes."

Comment

Yup. I like my games hot and interesting. I don't play like you do, and control of Korea was an imperative to keep in the league I'd chosen for Brazil. I wouldn't call it a mismanaged game though, it was one o the best games I'd had in ages, my problems in the game were entertaining and thuroughly enjoyed. I could have played sensibly, patiently and responsably, but for what?

May you live in interesting times.

-Ancient Chinese curse.
            Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Originally posted by problem_child
              Yup. I like my games hot and interesting. I don't play like you do, and control of Korea was an imperative to keep in the league I'd chosen for Brazil. I wouldn't call it a mismanaged game though, it was one o the best games I'd had in ages, my problems in the game were entertaining and thuroughly enjoyed. I could have played sensibly, patiently and responsably, but for what?

May you live in interesting times.

-Ancient Chinese curse.
              Good point. What for indeed!

It is a long time since I played anything other than countries such as Kashmir or Hyderdad, countries that force you to play sensibly, patiently and responsibly for a long time. Umh, Kashmir invariably gets seriously hot, interesting and brutal so I see your point.
              Last edited by Egbert; November 17, 2005, 03:18.

Comment

Working...
              X