Any opinions on Hearts of Iron 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on Hearts of Iron 2?

I was looking at this WWII game that is based on the EU engine. How is it? Should I buy?
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

I think it´s even better than HoI, with the exception of the airforce.

What you should not expect is a realistic simulation of WW2, because of the many strange things that can happen, like the Soviet Union creating an unholy alliance with Germany or the USA joining war in 1939, or even France and Czechoslovakia mopping up Germany by 1938.

But if you´re less into historical correctness than gameplay and fun, it´s definately a must-buy!

There are also many mods on the brink of publication (many of them with a great reputation from HoI1), so the game gets even better over time.

The only major drawback is the supply bug: If you´re one of the big countries and want to "liberate" Europe by setting up puppets (think of the DDR or a Communist England) you better start with the countries most distant from your homelands. Liberating as you go will get you stuck after two countries because the supply line for troops cannot be traced through more than one puppet or ally.

For instance, if you´re the Soviet Union and go west, you will create post-war Poland (with today´s borders, so you keep Eastern Poland), then Germany. Uh-Oh, now your 2 million men army is out of supplies and starving. Well, bad luck.

But other than that, it´s a great game with many new aspects not handled in the predecessor (like partisans, tech teams with different abilities, really good naval combat system, direct trade deals, ...)
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

I been ready about this game here at 'Poly, could someone compare HOI2 to say AOEII:The Conquerors?

CIV?

RON?

I am speaking of graphics & interface?

Thanks

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Any chance they are doing something about the supply bug?

My own experience with Paradox is limited. The only game I have is Crusaders.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
          I been ready about this game here at 'Poly, could someone compare HOI2 to say AOEII:The Conquerors?

This is almost impossible, since those two games have literally nothing in common. AoE is focussing action and quick play, HoI2 is about strategy, well planned campaigns, diplomacy.

Graphics are very simple in HoI, because your main window shows a world map on which you move units, order provincial builds or just simply watch the world spinning around.

The interface is very similar to Europa Universalis and Victoria, to a lesser amount also Crusader Kings.
          You do everything with the mouse, mostly on the main map. Research and Production as well as the more complicated diplomacy are handled in the respective menues, which I for one find very comprehensive and compact in comparison to the former Paradox games.

HoI2 is as much realtime as is EU, EU2, Vic, CK and any other Paradox offspring. It just lets you coordinate attacks much better because you can tell your units to attack at specific times in the future, to repeat their missions until x, to arrive at the same time or to only cross the border during nighttime. The basic time unit is the hour, so there´s a rythm of day and night allowing for more depth in operational planning. This is added to the very detailed weather system. Attacking a Russian fort in Siberia during a blizzard at night will most likely end with a disaster...

Leaders are much more important in the HoI series than in any other game I know of. Each and every unit has a leader, with special traits and abilities each. Rommel is very skilled, will often manage to catch the enemy at surprise and receives a bonus to armoured warfare. Zhukov OTOH will be superior to most other generals when fighting in icy conditions.

CIV?

Incomparable.

RON?

Same as Civ. The only game you can compare it to is another Paradox game. They are so unique...
          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
            Any chance they are doing something about the supply bug?

My own experience with Paradox is limited. The only game I have is Crusaders.
            Of course. THey say it´s being worked on, hopefully it will be fixed with 1.3 (which has been postboned already due to some other improvements they wanted to integrate).

You will most likely never experience that bug anyway unless you´re playing strictly historical as the Americans (and even then there are ways around).

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Ok thanks fer info

Gramps
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

In their present forms I prefer HoI 1 to HoI 2. With the variety of mods, 1 has several different playstyles to suit different people. 2 has some improvements but it also introduces other irritations and at present the Ai is still a bit dumb. Once 2 has been patched and modded as hard as 1 it should be the best but there is no timescale for that to happen.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

I have been think about picking up HoI 2 as well. Not a big fan of WW2 games but have looked up the mods that are out . Like the Risk mod or the Cold War mod set in the 80,s and 90,s.

Something to hold me over till Civ4. Was playing Superpower with mods and CtP2 code updates. But need a change and this game has alot to it, How is the diplomacy?

Comment

I've decided against it for now.

Comment

I prefer HoI2 to HoI1. I've played quite a few games and have never had any glaring historical inaccuracies (except Germany being able to defeat the SU, Republican Spain winning the SCW, and things or that sort (which aren't really inaccuracies)).

Comment

I agree w/ Kalius, HOI2 is to HOI1 what EU2 is to EU1. HOI2 is a much improved game. I really like the new air features; automization of air superiority, sorties, port strikes, cratering air fields, etc. I especially like the fact that you can now liberate a country and they remain your puppet, rather than in HOI1 a liberated country wouldn't even give you military access.

I don't recommend sitting out on this game.
                          "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                          I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                          --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Paradox games!

Paradox patch policy!

Paradox attention to user feedback!
                            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                            X