whats your goal in a Paradox game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your goal in a Paradox game?

They are pretty open ended. Do you roleplay, trying to achieve things that would likely have been goals at the time? Do you play for victory points? Maximal conquest?
    In my current game of EU2 as Spain, Im sort of roleplaying, but given my limited skills that takes me probably as close to maximal conquest and/or vps as Id get anyway.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Maximal Conquest!

Actually, my main objective in EU2 (since the 1.08 patch) is to maintain good relations with other countries while expanding. Before that, I was just conquering the world, but now I have to watch out for the badboy score. It´s much more fun if you limit yourself to defensive wars and diplomatic annexiations...
    Also diplomacy/alliances get much more valuable this way

In Hearts of Iron (2), though, the main goal cannot be other than world conquest!
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

My goal changes depending upon the country. First goal is to survive, second goal is to unite my culture group, third goal usually has something to do with religion (make all my people one religion, conquor & convert some other religion, unite all of my religion, etc), and my final goal is maximium conquest.

Keeping the home areas well developed is also a must.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I generally go for maximal money, tech, and peaceful expansion. Come to think of it, that's my style in Civ as yell
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I usually roleplay, but will often go into the game withs ome overall goal - whether that be to unite germany as Brandenburg, or colonial empire with Genoa, or whatever...

But more recently, my goals have been to just finish the game, and convert it to the next. I had a game going in CK that I planned on playing all the way throuygh to Victoria, but got side tracked. I'm thinking about starting another game like that... or maybe just going from EU2 to Victoria.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

My goals are almost always:
            1) Conquer all territories in my culture group.
            2) Convert all provinces I control
            3) Max out tech tree (not always possible the further you get from the latin tech group) and have a larger economy than the rest of the world combined (or at the very least, several times larger than the guy in second place)
            4) Largest army and navy on the planet
            5) Manufactories in as many of my provinces as I can afford.

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I like to mirror history in most cases, but have diplomatically annexed France before while playing Austria. Now, I look to colonize, control my culture provinces, and make vassals of my enemies, along with the standard fair of monoplozing CoTs, etc.
              "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
              I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
              --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

To have fun.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

i bring this up cause of some things in my current game as Spain. Particularly Ive been focusing on new world expansion and internal development, and pretty much staying out of European wars (since 1480 or so, and Im now upto 1540) Its certainly ahistorical and has to do with two things - 1. Im putting buildup over Roleplay - partly since im a little overwhelmed, and made some early mistakes, I HAVE to overfocus now simply to keep up with Spains historic new world expansion - Id have a hard time doing that while fighting in Europe. 2. History has gone somewhat differently - while a couple of decades ago France was looking real threatening having consolidated, chased out the English, and expanding into Germany, and toward Italy, they have since receded. So there is less need to fight a balancing war in Italy than in OT (original timeline).

Another issue - with France tamed, and OE tamed, the historical 16thc enemies of Spain are no threat. The looming threats ARE Austria and Venice. Hard to find an RP reason (yet) to go against Venice, and almost impossible to find an RP rationale for concern with Austria, at least while Charles is alive. So Im RPing a great concern with spreading the true faith among the pagans in the new world - perhaps beyond whats realistic, since Im doing nothing about the spread of heresy in the old world (at least beyond my borders).
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

But more recently, my goals have been to just finish the game, and convert it to the next. I had a game going in CK that I planned on playing all the way throuygh to Victoria, but got side tracked. I'm thinking about starting another game like that... or maybe just going from EU2 to Victoria.
                    Well, I started a new Ck game with that in mind, but didn't make it far. My ruler got married and had four children, but they where all daughters (and three died from illness). He had his wife killed when she reached the age of 28, so that he could marry a younger girl with hopes of having a son. Shortly after that, he went insane. He remaried to the daughter of a neighbouring duchy (and his new wife suffered from a suicidal depression), but once he was married he attempted to assassinate his new brothers in law, so that his future son would inherite their duchy - but his assassination attempts failed, and they countered with their own... killing him. And so, the dynasty came to an end before it even started.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

CK sounds like a good game. Is it properly patched?
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No, not yet, but the beta patches has made it a whole new game. It's a very good game, my second choice after EU2 out of the games of Paradox, but not totally finished yet. MrT is making a great effort together with volunteers though, and Johan has enough time so that together with MrT's and the other's commitment, there comes out one beta patch every week.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                          Johan has enough time so that together with MrT's and the other's commitment, there comes out one beta patch every week.
                          But he didn't have the time to make a patch for Victoria in these last couple months??
                          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

But he didn't have the time to make a patch for Victoria in these last couple months??
                            Isn't it going on to "these last couple years" now?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Heh, no. Vickie got it's last patch around a year ago IIRC, and there has been some 2-3 beta patches after that(we're at 1.03c now right?).
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X