Eu2 newbie questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eu2 newbie questions....

1. Are those events like "good (or bad) governmental policy" (not sure how they are called in English, I play the German version of course) related to my actions in the game, or are they purely random events? I mean, if I run my country well, is a "good" event more likely?

2. How can a country that wasn't even in the top three (score) jump up to the top in one year, which means it must have won several hundred victory points in that short time. Happened to me with France - I (England) was third, Spain second, rebels first, but suddenly France was first....

3. Related to 2., is there anything special I can do against those rebels? I mean in my own country I figured out quickly how to prevent rebellions, and have stilll enough soldiers to deal with them, if they occur. But what can I do to prevent them becoming the strongest "civ" overall?

4. Is there a newer editor than v1.2? I find it annoying that I can't resize its window - in my case several tabs aren't displayed correctly. Or does it work only with "small fonts" set in Windows?
    Blah

Re: Eu2 newbie questions....

Originally posted by BeBro
    1. Are those events like "good (or bad) governmental policy" (not sure how they are called in English, I play the German version of course) related to my actions in the game, or are they purely random events? I mean, if I run my country well, is a "good" event more likely?
    Only promotions are connected to your game-play. Everything else is random.

Originally posted by BeBro 2. How can a country that wasn't even in the top three (score) jump up to the top in one year, which means it must have won several hundred victory points in that short time. Happened to me with France - I (England) was third, Spain second, rebels first, but suddenly France was first....
    VP points are connected to military, finance, dynamic mission, and colonization. France must've buped up in one of those categories. It's unlikely it was with dynamic missions since the AI , from my experience, rarely takeson duynamic missions.

Originally posted by BeBro 3. Related to 2., is there anything special I can do against those rebels? I mean in my own country I figured out quickly how to prevent rebellions, and have stilll enough soldiers to deal with them, if they occur. But what can I do to prevent them becoming the strongest "civ" overall?
    Don't worry, the Rebels will not be in the running by the time the game is over. I've seen them up high in my games. There is just a lot of instability early on in the GC.

Originally posted by BeBro 4. Is there a newer editor than v1.2? I find it annoying that I can't resize its window - in my case several tabs aren't displayed correctly. Or does it work only with "small fonts" set in Windows?
    Hm, don't know.
    Last edited by dojoboy; March 8, 2005, 18:07.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Thx. I'm sure I have more questions later....
      Blah

Comment

Re: Eu2 newbie questions....

The 'good/bad governmental policy' events, specifically, are completely random. Various other's are somewhat dependent on your gameplay.
        The much-vaunted 'exceptional year' event (treasury boost plus deflation) is supposed to be more likely if you have a large treasury.
        Your 'innovative-narrow minded' slider can affect your chances of having a new manufactury built (innovative) or of a random conversion (narrow minded).
        Similarly for the chance of getting an explorer (naval) or conquistador (land).
        I'm not entirely sure how extensive some of these effects are though, nor how well documented.

2. How can a country that wasn't even in the top three (score) jump up to the top in one year, which means it must have won several hundred victory points in that short time. Happened to me with France - I (England) was third, Spain second, rebels first, but suddenly France was first....
        If you look through the options in the 'surrender' screen when quitting you'll see which category the VP's fall into. I rather suspect either the mission category (you sometimes see huge scores here for the Timurids or the Mughals early on to name two) or the diplomacy category (inheritance events can give very large boosts here - Austria/France particularly).

3. Related to 2., is there anything special I can do against those rebels? I mean in my own country I figured out quickly how to prevent rebellions, and have stilll enough soldiers to deal with them, if they occur. But what can I do to prevent them becoming the strongest "civ" overall?
        Rebel-controlled provinces generally tend to declare independence or allegiance to another nation after a year or so, hence the rebels 'civ' score will naturally tend to fade away.

Comment

Big changes in score over a short period of time means either someone won a major war or they had an enheritance event of some sort.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I overtook France now When I left the game I checked where its score came from, and - surprisingly - over half of its score (600 of currently ca. 1150 vic points) was from those missions.

Despite I'm winning now, I'm still learning......however, it's a great game, very addictive

Edit: another question - can I continue my current game when I install a new patch (still use 1.07) or do I have to restart then?
            Last edited by BeBMan; March 9, 2005, 11:51.
            Blah

Comment

Re: Re: Eu2 newbie questions....

Originally posted by ravagon

The much-vaunted 'exceptional year' event (treasury boost plus deflation) is supposed to be more likely if you have a large treasury.
              its completely random, size of treasury has no impact.

Comment

I overtook France now When I left the game I checked where its score came from, and - surprisingly - over half of its score (600 of currently ca. 1150 vic points) was from those missions.

Despite I'm winning now, I'm still learning......however, it's a great game, very addictive

Edit: another question - can I continue my current game when I install a new patch (still use 1.07) or do I have to restart then?
                France has some historical events which gives mission vp's most likely they had one of those fire in your game.

Comment

Probably not. For some patches it will work, but with stability issues and no gain of most improvements from the patch. But for heaven's sake, get 1.08 if you want one of the new patches! Then you can get AGC-EEP too, a great mod. But do a fresh install first, it will prevent some stability issues and such.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Hm, strange, I have still probs dl-ing something from Paradox' homepage....but then I wanted to finish my current game anyway before I install another patch. I just hope it does not become too difficult for a little n00b like me......
                    Blah

Comment

No, you will have to start a new game with the new patch. 1.08 plus betas are out so you might as well patch up and start over.

Comment

Thx.

Just played the enlightenment scn as Prussia. Was totally different from playing as England (and surprisingly - easier, I thought it would be more difficult), but still great. Much more warmongering. This time I'm also better at building up my provinces, and I actually managed to make real money

I just think there could be more historic events. I'm near the end now, end for example the French revolution and Nappy's wars didn't happen. OTOH the US separated successfully from England....
                        Blah

Comment

Try picking up AGC-EEP as this mod includes a lot of new events. I think you will like it.

Comment

Welcom to EU2!!!

(come back to civ2 - it's EU that's responsible for the decine of my interest in it)
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

I don't yet qualify as an EU2 Newbie, as I haven't yet bought the game, but I intend to very soon and have been reading whatever I can find in the meantime to see what I am going to get.

I notice that this is real time strategy, which is the only negative I see right now, but that you can both pause and slow the game.

Is this a problem for anyone? I am not a big fan of what real time strategy I have played, but I have not played much (AOE is the only example I think). I prefer being able to view everything, make what changes I want to make and then press enter when I am done to continue to the next turn (which I guess pretty much defines turn based strategy).

So how does EU2 compare with other RTS games and if you want could you essentially play it turn based (pausing the game every turn)?

/me
                              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Working...
                              X