No announcement yet.

VIC: Some newbie questions regarding Belgium, factories, pops and world market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIC: Some newbie questions regarding Belgium, factories, pops and world market

Hi I just started playing Victoria yesterday, as Belgium (my home country and also a good country for beginners so I read). I've been playing for a couple of months gametime now, until the recognition of Belgian independence. I observed a bit over those months how my economy was running, and this leads me to a couple questions.

First and foremost, I've got the rather big problem that only two of my six factories are making a profit. The other four are losing money. Is this normal?? Is it only because the game has only started and the world market isn't functioning well yet, or can I expect losses for those factories for a long time? Is there anything I can do about this, or is it purely dependent on the prices of the goods the factories need and produce?

If I can expect losses for those factories for a long time to come, I guess it would be better to construct other factories? Therefore I'm wondering, is there any way to know what factories could be profitable or loss-making, before building them? Or is it just trial and error? That would be rather costly.

I've also noticed another worrying affair: On the ledger I've noticed that the cash reserves of more and pops are being reduced to zero pounds. I've got a whole bunch of questions about this. Is this normal? What could be causing it (besides too high taxes?)? Is there any immediate danger because of it? And what could I do against it?

Another question regarding pops I have is: do they buy their required goods themselves on the world market without you needing to do anything, or does the player have to buy them for the people in that world market screen?

Here is a link to my savefile should that be wished:

1.03b without VIP
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Re: VIC: Some newbie questions regarding Belgium, factories, pops and world market

Originally posted by Maniac

First and foremost, I've got the rather big problem that only two of my six factories are making a profit. The other four are losing money. Is this normal?? Is it only because the game has only started and the world market isn't functioning well yet, or can I expect losses for those factories for a long time? Is there anything I can do about this, or is it purely dependent on the prices of the goods the factories need and produce?
    Click on the factory and it'll show you why you're running at a loss. Could be a couple reasons:

(1) You are short resources to produce the product. Go to the WM and stock up on whichever resource it is.

(2) No one is buying your product on the WM.

Originally posted by Maniac Therefore I'm wondering, is there any way to know what factories could be profitable or loss-making, before building them?
    Look at the WM to determine what is selling at a nice price but is in short supply. Remember....supply and demand.

Originally posted by Maniac I've also noticed another worrying affair: On the ledger I've noticed that the cash reserves of more and pops are being reduced to zero pounds. I've got a whole bunch of questions about this. Is this normal? What could be causing it (besides too high taxes?)? Is there any immediate danger because of it? And what could I do against it?
    Don't tax over 50% (rich @ 49%, middle @ 45%, poor @ 35% - as an estimate). Go ahead and turn down spending for crime prevention and bump education a tad.

Originally posted by Maniac Another question regarding pops I have is: do they buy their required goods themselves on the world market without you needing to do anything, or does the player have to buy them for the people in that world market screen?
    Yes.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Re: Re: VIC: Some newbie questions regarding Belgium, factories, pops and world market

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by dojoboy
      Look at the WM to determine what is selling at a nice price but is in short supply. Remember....supply and demand.
      Problem is the prices of the resources don't seem to be a very accurate indicator. I can't just take the price of the finished good, and subtract it by the price of the required source goods to get a good idea.

Comment

Re: VIC: Some newbie questions regarding Belgium, factories, pops and world market

Originally posted by Maniac
        Another question regarding pops I have is: do they buy their required goods themselves on the world market without you needing to do anything, or does the player have to buy them for the people in that world market screen?
        Sorry, I just realized my answer to these was vague. Yes, the POPs purchase their goods from the WM automatically. You do not need to buy for them. But keep in mind, if you are the world's only producer of a good and you stop selling it on the WM, then even your own POPs can't buy it.
        "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
        I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
        --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Re: Re: VIC: Some newbie questions regarding Belgium, factories, pops and world market

Originally posted by dojoboy
          Sorry, I just realized my answer to these was vague.
          Ah yes, I was already wondering about that.
          "Is it A or B?"
          - "Yes."

Thanks for the clarification! I had set my world market screen to buy up to 5 items of many goods, thinking my population might need it, but I guess I can sell most of those goods off again.

Comment

Working...
          X