Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about HoI, EU & Victoria

Hey ya all!

I'm new to this forum, but not new to either of EU, EU2 & HoI!

I've read about CORE mod for HoI and much more interesting things here, but I'd like to know -
    where can I get all those mods?

I'd especially like to know if there's any gameplay or realism or AI improving mod for EU2, becoz, it's my favourite game form those of Paradox Entertainment!

And I've downloaded Victoria recently but it shows some kind of error..

Is there any way for getting my own copy of Victoria for free?
    (I dislike buying what could be get for free! )

And in the end - I tried patching EU2 once, but it refused to do so saying, that it can't find the file in the directory where the file actually was, thus it came to my mind that maybe there's a sequence of installing patches?
    For example: v1.00 -> v1.01 -> 1.02 -> ... and not v1.00 -> v1.02

Waitin for response,
    binTravkin
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Re: Some questions about HoI, EU & Victoria

Originally posted by binTravkin
    I've read about CORE mod for HoI and much more interesting things here, but I'd like to know -
    where can I get all those mods?
    forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum

And I've downloaded Victoria recently but it shows some kind of error..

Is there any way for getting my own copy of Victoria for free?
    (I dislike buying what could be get for free! )

And in the end - I tried patching EU2 once, but it refused to do so saying, that it can't find the file in the directory where the file actually was, thus it came to my mind that maybe there's a sequence of installing patches?
    For example: v1.00 -> v1.01 -> 1.02 -> ... and not v1.00 -> v1.02
    For both questions, BUY THE GAME FOOL!!!
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Thanks!

Buying is foolish unless there's no other choice

--A hacker's moto

-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Western gamers tend to favour buying. It is within our means.

No, the patches don't go in a sequence. Try installing the new EU v1.08. There's a good chance that it will work because Paradox has kindly removed the CD-checking system from the later versions.

If you do, watch out for colossal price hikes for armies that are too large.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

1.08 eu2 is like a new game if you are still playing the default version(or really old patches). there are also a number of eu2 mods that improve the game quite a bit like eep, agc, or daywalkers ai mod. you should really buy eu2 that's one of best games ever.
          Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Well, I bought it for 6 euro at the closest store!

But the first patches still dont work

I read what they do and I really liked some features, especially CoT in Samarkand - it makes Timurid Empire somewhat reasonable to play and to fight against

Im afraid that
            watch out for colossal price hikes for armies that are too large
            is not the thing I want from patches - I want only:
            1.more events (thus more realism),
            2.better AI,
            3.repaired "add CoT" bug
            (command for adding a CoT for province doesnt work in original version - Andalusia CoT for example, however, it does work for random built-in event when high trade efficency or long distances make new CoTs appear, for example - South Africa CoT which I always get when playing as Portugal & colonising that area)
            4.better graphics
            (well, can do with original ones too)

Dont those
            there are also a number of eu2 mods that improve the game quite a bit like eep, agc, or daywalkers ai mod
            change the game too much, I mean - do they tend to protect realism at the same time improving gameplay?
            Or do they change also "the history" or "the timeline" of the game?

Paradox has kindly removed the CD-checking system from the later versions
            Maybe it's because it doesnt work properly?!
            I have a key & CD now, but they still dont work..

And at the end - could you give me some tips about diplomacy, especially about vassaling and annexing?

My best result when playing very peacefully and trying just to expand with diplomatical means (and I took best country for that - Burgundy) is
            Burgundy from 1419 - 1477 (annexation by AUS)
            I annexed 2 "event=annex" countries (LUX, BRA)
            and diplomatically annexed these:
            Lorraine,
            Palatinat,
            Mainz,
            Koln,
            Kleves,
            Munster,
            Gelre,
            the second Holland province, still not owned by me (dont remember the name),
            Savoi,
            Switzerland,
            Baden,
            Hessen,
            Mecklemburg,
            and 3 more from German provinces which I dont remeber correctly - Bremen, Turingen, ??

I maintained "Honorable" reputation till the end of "Charles the Bold" reign - in the last years (at 10 diplomacy) I annexed 4 or 5 countries thus lowering my reputation to "bad" or "very bad", dont remember exactly how it was..
            AUS got it "extremely bad" after inheriting BUR..

Is that a good result amongst you?

Comment

If you used a cd crack, you probably won't be able to update. You'll need to do a clean install and update to the latest patch.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

If you used a cd crack, you probably won't be able to update. You'll need to do a clean install and update to the latest patch.
                I didn't use crack, but will check once again

Comment

you have the cd and the cd key????

exactly what version of the game are you using?

Comment

What is the problem?

The version is legal 1.01 or 1.00, don't remember exactly!

And the CD contains both Russian & English versions of the game

Comment

When EU2 was first released there were a series of patches that upgraded from one version to another, dependent upon which version was already installed.
                      They stopped doing this with patch 1.05 IIRC so if the number on your patch is anything after this you should be using only the single patch on a fresh install.

Your cd having both English and Russian versions sounds rather suspicious as I don't think Paradox ever officially released a Russian version - They certainly don't have patches for one.
                      I don't know why you'd need or have a cd-key either?

If a patch won't install then the chances are that you aren't using the correct patch for whichever English language version you have. If you believe your copy is legitimate your best bet is to try the Paradox forums and quote the publisher. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Regarding Vicky - don't even bother trying to download it - it's probably the 'review' version that was leaked before the game went gold and (IIRC) Johan intentionally made the patches incompatible.
                      Either fork out the big bucks for a legitimate copy or wait until it's on sale ...
                      Properly patched it's most definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                        is not the thing I want from patches - I want only:
                        1.more events (thus more realism),
                        2.better AI,
                        3.repaired "add CoT" bug
                        (command for adding a CoT for province doesnt work in original version - Andalusia CoT for example, however, it does work for random built-in event when high trade efficency or long distances make new CoTs appear, for example - South Africa CoT which I always get when playing as Portugal & colonising that area)
                        4.better graphics
                        (well, can do with original ones too)
                        eu 1.08 does all those things. though better graphics are just some new flags/army sprites.

Dont those change the game too much, I mean - do they tend to protect realism at the same time improving gameplay?
                        Or do they change also "the history" or "the timeline" of the game?
                        mods do change quite a bit but many people like them better because they have so many more historical events and changed countries. many people would say they are more historically accurate. daywalkers mod is my favorite because it makes the ai colonize much better.

Maybe it's because it doesnt work properly?!
                        I have a key & CD now, but they still dont work..
                        i think you have a non-legit copy. heh.

And at the end - could you give me some tips about diplomacy, especially about vassaling and annexing?
                        it doesn't sound like you need many tips. generally i only annex one province nations that have trade centers(say maybe mecklenburg) and take most my province through war. i try not to vassilize. it's usually easier to weaken a country significantly wait for the ai to annex it then scoup it up in a war(thus taking less badboy points which hurt your reputation).

Is that a good result amongst you?
                        that's ok but you are playing the old version of eu2 which is insanely easy compared to the newer versions. iirc vassalizing becomes much harder and badboy wars are probably more frequent in eu 1.08(especially on harder difficulty levels). the game is also argubly harder on low aggression setting since the ai doesn't waste money on pointless wars but i don't find this as fun.

also don't forget to play the rest of the world. you'll probably get the most gaming hours out of european countries but asian and african countries are very good too. my favorites countries to play are mughal empire and russia when they are going crazy conquering all their neighbors.
                        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

i think you have a non-legit copy. heh.
                          Well, you can't trust the russian companies..
                          Never ever!

Their translation contains a CD-key, however, and a very complex Key-checker which doesnt surrender to any known cracks..

Comment

Hm, why did you let Austria inherit Burgundy? There´s an option "Charles the Bold survives" in the "at the walls of Nancy" event...

Anyway, with the 1.08 patch I would have bowed to you if you managed to diploannex all those countries within some 55 years...

I can only recommend buying the paradox games, especially EU2 and HoI, from English sellers. I bought a German version of EU2 in a big electronics market nearby, and the game had a Dutch booklet
                            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                            Let me eat your yummy brain!
                            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Hm, why did you let Austria inherit Burgundy?
                              I LOVE the Habsburgs' concept of having all the territories inherited via extensive diplomacy & royal marriage - it reminds that rifle is MUCH lesser weapon than love..
                              Remember the few territories the Habsburgs really conquered (not got by f***ing those foreign *****es) - those were either the ones of Neolithic America or permanent-war-weakened Italy or dying Turkey..

I always try to avoid war - if you try enough you can even get Turkey all the Muslim lands with 50% war & 50% diplomacy..

Comment

Working...
                              X