Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOI 1.06 has reinvigorated the game for me

well, yes.

I skipped at least one patch, so I have no clue when this stuff was fixed/added. Love that the vague modifiers are now quantifed on the battle screen. Love a lot of little things.

However, now I'm royally getting my butt kicked on normal (norma!) difficulty as germany. Current game I chose not to partition Poland (screw the bolsheviks) (I heard that was the way to go...) but the moment I annex poland and withdraw troops to the french front, the soviets declare war on me. Do I have to leave garrisons behind? Oh and the only thing weird I did was declare war on latvia, so the USSR was at war with the allies

any ideas?

Same here, started a new game just the other day (as the Soviets on normal/normal. Operation Barbarossa started in the later part of april 1941, it's now june and I'm keeping it together even if I've lost some ground). And I do have agree that it feels better than before. On the downside it seems even more unstable than before in some regards (I never gets any points when I exit the program, it goes directly to desktop) and also, there's some sort of graphical bug with some german plane (or at least I think that's what it is). Oh well, you can't get it all with a Paradox product I guess. Now back to the game, I'm forming a new nine division strong Tank Corps back in Kaluga (T-34's and mech.inf) and I can't wait to throw them into the german frontline.

Comment

It does have some stability issues. One strange thing with mine is that it always seems to open multiple copies. I've tried hitting enter on the icon instead of double clicking but....also I've had a save error here and there and a graphical problem with a save...

The game is definately a lot harder. I've had a couple runs at germany on normal/normal and think I've got a formula down at least to the barbarossa stage. (assuming the soviets don't declare war on me after we take poland )

A much much improved game.

Comment

Having posted my previous post, I find that the save game looks up my enire computer... So at the moment I hate Paradox entertainment.

Comment

I never had any problems with HoI, just try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, then patch it.

While you are at it you might want to install the CORE mod as well. It has some really nice modifications to both the tech tree and other stuff like lots of new events. It makes minor countries much more fun to play.

Comment

You play vanilla HoI???

Respect!

Try playing CORE (0.82), and you´ll never come back to vanilla HoI again! Really, it triples the fun!

@kropotkin:
            I am playing as SU n/n, same history than you had, and it´s now 1944. I have annexed Germany, Finland and Slovakia, also Persia (back in 1936), while I puppeted Romania, Turkey, Hungary and Italy. The world was at peace once again, except for Japan, which was at war with the Allies and USA, but got crushed pretty soon.

Now I´ve turned cold war into WW3, being at war with basically the whole world . I have 12 armies of each 9 divisions of T34/85.1941 tanks, and my 56 fighter squadrons are having a hard time fighting back the endless bombing runs of Canadians, Brits and Americans..

It´s fun, though

On a side note:
            I have never experienced any of the problems you guys were talking about... Maybe you just need to einstall the game? But then, it´s been a long time since I last played unmodded HoI...
            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
            Let me eat your yummy brain!
            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

CORE has problems of it's own, though, doesn't it?

I popped into it's forum the other day to take alook around and a bug where mount troops lost something like 400% efficiency in mountains and gained %600 in jungles, or something equally ridiculous.

I've found the same with Victoria VIP - alot of messed up events and triggers or other dodgy stuff. People need to double check and test their work more.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

CORE isn´t free of bugs, of course, but it´s still far better than plain HoI and I haven´t noticed anything strange in 60 hours of playing. Be sure to use v0.82 though!
                Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

Core sounds interesting, I've been meaning to try it out. Wanted to get a few regular games of 1.06 under my belt first...

I've noticed an oddity as Japan last night-my dissent was increasing even though I was not in the red with consumer goods. I saved and reloaded and it was back to normal. Weird...

Comment

It´s better to switch to CORE immediately, for much is changed and thus playing vanilla HoI won´t benefit you much

As for the oddity:
                    Did the dissent actually increase or did it JUST SAY so? The mouse.over menue refreshs only after a long time, so maybe you´ve had to little consumer goods for a short period and when it got back to sufficient supply, the text wasn´t updated yet...

I noticed some oddities, too, like Iraq joining axis two years after the Soviet Union annexed Germany and Italy, thus eradicating AXIS alliance
                    Also sometimes when your division is annihilated the commander survives as a size 0 army with a speed of 999 km/h, meaning you can conquer all of africa in less than two weeks (though it is a HoI bug, not affiliated with CORE)

Comment

no, the dissent was definately increasing even though the supplies were in the white. I was watching in horror as it climbed at a rate of .03/day. not sure what the deal was. I just switched out three ministers, maybe one had a hidden dissent penalty...

Comment

I started playing CORE after finding an temp fix for the combat modifier bug (turns out it isn't specific to CORE)

Very fun.

A question: I've heard alot of talk about an axis turkey. I assume there are events that make this possible? When do they happen?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I've noticed that alot of minor countries have been buffed up under core, aswell. What are some other good minor / intermediate countries to play as?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I've played core a couple times now and appreciate it

I will say that the first run through was...inauspicious. As the CCCP, germany stalled and barely took poland in feb 1940, killing their momentum. The other times I've played were more competitive, and as germs I haven't won yet. Came close, was carving up the soviets, but had a landing of 11 units on french soil. ouch. and italy needs a lot of handholding.

core

Comment

I have a nice game going as italy... I got off to a good start, despite losing ehtiopia I was able to make it to the suez canal and to grenoble in France (which is as far as I care to go because it's a resource rich province and offers a small, defendable border). I was even slaping the royal navy around in the mediteranian.

Then the british brought reinforcements to africa... they hit a lightly defended beach with 5 armoured and mobile divisions, then exploded in every direction giving my thinly spred units a hell of a time trying to contain them while the only sizable army I had in the area raced back from suez to sweep them up. Just as I was geting them under control, the forces that took ethiopia return and sweep up to suez and easily cut through the minimal defense I left behind, so I lose all the land I took. Then france sees my disorganized forces and attack through tripoli... so now I'm losing all my original posessions aswell - just when i thought I had them under control again. (France really saw the opening there - it was only a brief moment that I had to draw out some forces in tripoli but they immediately took advantage of it and didn't slow down). I end up falling back to turbok (?) with all my forces so that they could hang out in the bunkers there untill I could make a concentrated effort to take africa back.

But mean while, britain is harassing the italian shores with small landing groups (I better learn to make better use of my fleets... both where siting in the port repairing and reorganizing - I should rotate their use so that these landing forces don't slip by) and again, they break through with a large landing force and take the boot of italy. A few days later a bunch of RAF planes rebase there and essentially neutralise my naval bombers which I was relying on for naval supremacy.\

And then I lose a province to yugoslovia.

I must of been so busy with the british that I didn't see the message telling me they joined the war. Well, ****. I just pulled out all my troops from northern italy.

I wish the germans would hurry up with the french (who refused vichy and chose to fight to the death) so that they can come to my rescue.

But I might just start over again now that I am refamiliarised with HoI and have learned the ropes of CORE.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X