(EU) Cry for Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (EU) Cry for Help

Ok the story is I brought EU (yeah the first one) last year sometime and never played it really, except to do the tutorial. Well recently I'm starting to get into it again but it's hard. I always feel like i'm snowed under and have no clue with whats happening when i start a game doing the Grand Campaign. I've tried pausing the Game and having a look around some to see what stage the country is up to but I still manage to feel snowed under.

Basically I'm asking for help in how do I stop this feeling? Any help at all on being able to get on top of things? Also kinda indepth strategy guides for EU on the net would be appreciated if links could be produced or direction hinted at, please.

Try the paradox forums.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I've finished getting up.

Actually last night I sat down and started playing a game as Spain. I think I did a little better, I didn't feel so snowed in last night.

I'd really really love it if someone could point me in the direction of a map of the EU world. I need something to print out so I can learn the provinces and plan.

Comment

Come on the best part of the game as a beginner is discovering the new provinces heh heh. I don't understand the term "snowed in"...you mean overwhelmed?

I haven't played the game in over a year(actually the original EU I havent played for years) but if I remember correctly one of the things you should do is familiarize yourself with the factors that cause revolt. (culture, stability etc). That will help you plan everything in the long run. Knowing a little about the history of the country you're playing helps a lot. Also, learn how the market works, then let the AI handle it for you for now. Learn how moral and atrition works(land and sea), and what the bonuses for each type of unit and leader is. Start off as a major power in the beginning, the game is a lot easier that way. Try to play it peaceful and just learn the economic aspects of the game, than have a go at the military part of it.

And, once you get the hang of it, try to find a copy of EU2. The sequel is just so much better in a lot of different ways.

And always read the FAQs over in the paradox forums, and if you're still stumped and want a quick answer, try asking around over there.

Comment

It will take you about 3-5 long games to fully understand the game. You might want to start a Fantasia game with low aggressiveness natives and play it quickly for a few decades to try out colonization stuff without any enemies.
          Also, play one GC with cheats. Get yourself lots of money and stability and go test your military on unsuspecting nations. Try conversions too, and mess around with diplomacy. The Ottomans are good for these stuff, lots of manpower.

Then you can start playing real games.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

One problem with Paradox games is that they patch the game harder as well as smarter as they go. Learning it now is a lot harder than it was in v1.0 even if its bug free

In EU I used Russia to play with diplomacy and land battles without needing to worry about navies or exploring the world then Fantasia to play with colonisation. You'll definitely need a few part games to get the hang of it.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'll try to get my hands on a copy of EU2 soon as. Hopefully the paradox forums'll come back online again soon.

Comment

I haven't played EU I, but I have played EU II. I hear EUII is the same engine basically so.... (i'll assume everything is the same.....)

First thing you would want to do is pause.
                2. check your domestic policies... these are really important and can make big changes. Personally, I like to go for innovativeness/quality/land. (inno first). I really like the reduced costs for technology costs.
                3. Go to the economy settings and check the sliders, you want your stability up. +2 is good because you still have the 1 extra in case you get an event that boosts stab

Make sure you are making a little money, don't push the slider too far, inflation causes problems. Put everything into infrastructure in the beginning, until you can get refineries. (in EU2, the grand campaign starts at 1419, it usually takes 140 years to get infra lvl 4). Build Refineries, which will increase your trade level alot.

4. Try to avoid war... until you're ready for it. If you want portugal, take them soon, or they might have too many colonies before you can attack.

Basically, there are long periods of where you sit and do nothing. Use your diplomats to enter alliances and royal marriges, they boost your victory points some and improve relations. hire troops if you can afford. build tax collectors, judges, mayors etc. Also sent merchants out for trade, don't let the computer send for you (unless you're at war and have too many things to do)

About war, cavalry are good, better than infantry in the beginning. Infantry slowly catch up. Make sure morale is high, that is the biggest factor in battles.

Infantry are nearly unstoppable when sitting in a mountain province.

hope this helps!

(edit)

You need to remember that if you start out as a puny country, you won't be super powerful. You can eventually slowly build up and start stomping power countries, but make sure you got alliances first (and it help to be the leader, because you take command of the sieges)

Also, make sure you don't let a country's power go unchecked. One game I played as Granada (i don't think you can play as them in EU 1, they should get annexed by spain in 1492). I wasn't paying attention to austria-hungary. They slowly started annex all of those small german provinces and getting huge. France got squashed by them and I had bad relations, (-200, because granada is muslim). I can say that that game didn't last very long after that )

(end of edit)
                Last edited by squigg007; April 22, 2004, 21:22.

Comment

Thanks, some of the things (like domestic policy) isn't in EU but I plan on getting EUII sometime in the next few weeks. I'm starting to get the hang of it now. I'm having slight troubles understanding what pisses people off (i'm assuming annexing heaps of countries in a short period of time is one of them ) and colonization.

I'm playing as Spain (thought i'd start out easy) and have just gone on a rampage in North Africa. Its great how you can tear up all the Muslim nations and not piss your Catholic neighbours off.

Comment

Originally posted by squigg007
                    First thing you would want to do is pause.
                    2. check your domestic policies... these are really important and can make big changes. Personally, I like to go for innovativeness/quality/land. (inno first). I really like the reduced costs for technology costs.
                    That´s been introduced in EU2, just like missonaries
                    Also sent merchants out for trade, don't let the computer send for you (unless you're at war and have too many things to do)
                    That´s a bad hint. As a newbie you should definately let the computer handle trade, it´s pretty good at it. I am playing EU/EU2 since five years now and I never send merchants on my own...
                    You need to remember that if you start out as a puny country, you won't be super powerful.
                    In EU1 you cannot play as any country, only as major powers. So this point is rendered invalid
                    You can eventually slowly build up and start stomping power countries, but make sure you got alliances first (and it help to be the leader, because you take command of the sieges)
                    That just isn´t true. Sieges are under the command of
                    a) The one initiating the siege
                    b) The one with the highest-ranked leader
                    The alliance leader can throw out members and invite new ones in, that´s why it´s good to be the one. However, the alliance leader should be someone with many diplomats... (also he has to check for other alliances to expire in order to invite their members into your alliance; it´s a pretty strenuous job)
                    One game I played as Granada (i don't think you can play as them in EU 1, they should get annexed by spain in 1492).
                    Yes, you´re right, you can´t play as Granada in EU1, though they are in the game. See above for real reason
                    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                    Let me eat your yummy brain!
                    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Working...
                    X