Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoII Doomsday

Any players?

No. I bought HoI2, but the game just doesn't last long for me, it's too much of a wargame for my tastes unfortunately. A great game, no doubt, but not my cup of tea. Now, EU3 OTOH.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

What is Doomsday?

Comment

The "expansion pack" for HoI2("s because it contains not only the XP but the original game too).
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

What is in that XP?

Comment

More time(1953 instead of 1948), revised tech tree, more options for making it easier to control and tweak the game as you want it to be, new features like espionage, scenario editor, new campaign based on WW3 starting right after WW2, between the Allies and SU. And probably much more.

Comment

Comment

And all for the very nice price of 20 euro.

Comment

For Ecthy and everyone else thinking about buying Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday:

Editor is mostly hype, it comes with the game but it's much like the editor of Civilization III... fancy graphical user interface, many options to modify game presented... but the thing is this: 1/3 of the options to modify the game can only be used to cheat in the game, not seriously mod it; 1/3 of them do stuff which already can be modified by editing the game .txt-files within the data folder; and 1/3 of them crashes the game every single time in the future, forcing a re-install. It's still useful if you don't like editing raw data by a text editor.

The biggest new addition is the espionage, which is marginally useful in your normal games. If your nation has loads of $$$, you can use it to find out what your opponents are reserarching, producing etc. info from their country by planting spies against them.

For me, the best improvement is the modified leader experience -system: Only the guy who is leading the battle in your side now gains experience points, so you don't be disadvantaged if you can't be bothered to create 11 1-division units with mj. generals and 1 1-division unit with a field marshal to maximize your XP gain; in Doomsday, only the Field Marshal would gain XP instead of all the generals which is the case in vanilla HoII.

There have been some not-so-obvious changes: new events and countries you can liberate, stuff like that.

edit: typo

Comment

Just bought DD (didn't play HOI1 or 2 before) and I have no idea what's going on

I'll play some tuts first to get into the game......
                    Blah

Comment

Where did you get it and how much did you pay?

Comment

As I said, the price is around 20 euro.

Comment

Have they fixed the fubared end of game event yet? I still remember working my ass off as France, invading and defeating Germany in 1940, only to have the end of war event fire where the DDR is created and the USSR gets all of eastern Europe as satellites. The USSR hadn't even declared war.

I've also seen fubared games where the USSR sweeps through Germany but can't wipe them out because Germany retreats into occupied Holland. Every time the Soviets try to invade Holland and a provience is liberated it is returned to the allies, the Soviet forces are forced to retreat and then the Germans just retake the unoccupied provience. The only options to get around this bug is to 1) declare war on the allies or 2) hope the crappy UK or US AIs finally invade and force the Nazis out of Holland.

Depending upon the reviews I might buy the XP out of loyality to Paradox if nothing else. Diplomacy was utter crap and a small company like Paradox likely can't survive another bomb though I admit HOI2 should have been called HOI1.5 since it was just a mildly revised version of HOI. I doubt this XP will change much in the game other then to add a few units, revise the tech tree, and add a few events.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            Where did you get it and how much did you pay?
                            Yeah, as Nikolai mentioned, ca. 20 ducats, bought it in my local electronics market (Makro-Markt), but it should be available everwhere, incl. the usual online shops.

Oerdin, I don't know about this event, I'm just playing my first game, I'm now in early 39 (start 36), and the only prob so far was one CTD, but overall it seems relatively stable (with the first patch installed).
                            Blah

Comment

The whole point of the game is to continue on after the end of the WW2 to a Cold War scenario, so I would be very surprised if the end of WW2 events were still as messed up. Also, the Dutch and Belgians capitulate when you invade them as Germany, meaning they'll be owned not controlled by Germany, so the bug you mentioned hopefully won't be an issue. (Of course I hope they have actually fixed it, not cirucmvented it by the change.)
                              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Working...
                              X