Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Britanny

So, I am playing EU2 as Britanny.

Some weeks ago, I tried a first game as Britanny. At my peak, I was a minor power that held all of France's Atlantic shore, a few provinces near New York, and a crippling inflation that made everything cost 4 time the normal price

I have started a new game, this time in a different fashion: I didn't try to expand during the Hundred Wears Wars. Thanks to that, I haven't piled up bankrupcies upon bankrupcies, and my inflation remained reasonable (Currently, in 1570, I have a very reasonable 60%). The Brits have won the HYW, and France was but a shadow of itself.

Unfortunately for the Brits, plenty of French provinces became independant during the Brit civil war. I ruthlessly conquered these newly independent provinces Poitou, Guyenne, Provence were ALL MINE, with minimal costs These conquests more than doubled my economic potential.

However, a 6 Province country can't hope to compete against the others, especially when you share borders with three big, ambitious neighbours (Britain, France and Aragon, since France inherited the many provinces of Burgundy). This is why Britanny suddenly refurbished its whole economy, and became Europe's most aggressive trading power.

Soon, all of western Europe fell under the Breton monopolies. The whole economy, the whole diplomacy, and the whole domestic politics of Britanny were aimed at making life easier for the Breton traders abroad. The country underwent great reforms, welcoming free-trade, and increasingly focusing toward naval activity, only to guarantee a flow of money from Paris, Lisboa, Sevilla or even Moscow.

The Breton diplomacy of the time was not inactive. The reigning dynasty decided not to share power with the bourgeoisie, because Britanny's survival depended on a successful diplomacy. The reigning dynasty made a liberal use of royal marriages, and soon it was customary for most European princes to marry a Breton heiress. After switching back and fro between France and England, Britanny chose to stick to the French side. Britanny ended up being a completely uninteresting target for war: the poor provinces, the royal ties, and the powerful ally all discouraged potential agressors.

The first half of the 16th century saw the rise of Breton income, as the European markets grew richer from the wares of the New World. However, it also saw Britanny stranded on the Old World, unable to even know of what lied beyond. This is what motivated the unusual Breton-Dutch war. The Dutch had just suffered a serious defeat in the hands of the Spanish, and the Bretons choose to plunder the weakened Amsterdam, only to find the amazing Dutch maps. Immediately, Francis III decided to send settlers in the New World.

The colonization of the New World was taxing Britanny's ressources, however, and soon the coffers were too empty to protect the European monopolies. For about a decade, Britanny attempted to balance its trade hegemony within Europe and its colonization of the New World. As of now, Biloxi is the center of Breton colinies in the New World, with its mere 1000 inhabitants.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Were you trying to trigger this event from major_bri.txt?

Code:
    [size=2]
    #The Crown of France#
    event = {

id = 3601
    	trigger = {
    			owned = {
    					province = 385
    					data = -1
    				}
    			NOT = {
    				exists = FRA
    				}
    		}
    	random = no
    	country = BRI
    	name = "EVENTNAME3601"
    	desc = "EVENTHIST3601"
    	style = 1

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1420 }
    	offset = 30
    	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1515 }

action_a ={					#France is reborn with me#
    		name = "ACTIONNAME3601A"
    		command = { type = vp value = 200 }
    		command = { type = stability value = 3 }
    		command = { type = country which = FRA }
    		command = { type = capital which = 385 }
    		command = { type = INF which = 385 value = 15000 }
    		command = { type = CAV which = 385 value = 10000 }
    		command = { type = ART which = 385 value = 30 }
    	}

action_b ={					#Let France rest in peace#
    		name = "ACTIONNAME3601B"
    		command = { type = vp value = -100 }
    		command = { type = stability value = -3 }
    		command = { type = relation which = ENG value = 150 }
    		command = { type = relation which = BUR value = 150 }
    		command = { type = relation which = HAB value = 150 }
    		command = { type = relation which = SPA value = 150 }
    	}
    }
    [/size]
    (Note the line "command = { type = capital which = 385 }" was added by me because the France's capital should always be Paris. )
    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Nah, I want to remain an independant Britanny. Even if I ended up conquering all of France (unlikely, considering that they're my best defensive asset), I still would refuse to revive them
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I have a very reasonable 60%

Jesus... I thought 20% was bad.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          I have a very reasonable 60%

Jesus... I thought 20% was bad.
          Me too. Usually I try not to break the 5%, since that is what the various random events can cut down...
          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
          Let me eat your yummy brain!
          "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

(Currently, in 1570, I have a very reasonable 60%).
            That's not reasonable, it's appalling!

Comment

60%!

60% is bad even playing as Byzantium ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                That's not reasonable, it's appalling!
                How can you do better when playing with fricking Britanny?

And actually, I've never ever had a game with an inflation at less than 10% Even if a mere 15% of my budget goes to the military, the inflation rises very quickly.

Edit: besides, it's not preventing me from being #1

Comment

What correlation does amount of money to military have to do with inflation? Inflation is only raised by minting for money or if you produce lots of gold.
                  I changed my signature

Comment

Exactly. For most of the time you should have the "into the coffers" slider at 0%, paying upkeep from annual taxations.

Of course small countries will need some minting from time to time, but 60% is a bit much. Especially since there are several inflation-reducing events...
                    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

How can you do better when playing with fricking Britanny?

And actually, I've never ever had a game with an inflation at less than 10% Even if a mere 15% of my budget goes to the military, the inflation rises very quickly.

Edit: besides, it's not preventing me from being #1
                      15% is too much to be spending on your military. You are keeping them on halved upkeep outside of war and not exceeding your manpower limits, right? And don't take any loans.

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
                        Exactly. For most of the time you should have the "into the coffers" slider at 0%, paying upkeep from annual taxations.
                        That would leave me no money to invest in my only serious source of income: merchants. Trade has more than doubled my monthly income already (don't know about the yearly one), and if I hadn't expanded my territory, then trade would have multiplied my income 4 times.

Of course small countries will need some minting from time to time, but 60% is a bit much. Especially since there are several inflation-reducing events...

Well, I had a grand total of one as of yet

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          That would leave me no money to invest in my only serious source of income: merchants. Trade has more than doubled my monthly income already (don't know about the yearly one), and if I hadn't expanded my territory, then trade would have multiplied my income 4 times.
                          Annual income is not affected by trade. It is a direct function of population size.

Well, I had a grand total of one as of yet
                          Wow, then you´ve been exceptionally unlucky
                          Usually you´ll get one every 10-30 years. In my recent game I was minting up to 2%, waiting for the event, minting up to 2% again, rinse, repeat. Unfortunately a prolongened war forced me to reach an inflation of 15%, which is too high.

Comment

15% inflation is NOT too high. So a taxman costs 62 instead of 50. Wow. If you are big and rich enough, you can afford the new prize.

5% inflation over 200 years is simply unnatural.

Besides, Once you get Governors, your inflation should be coming down anyways.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

All your tech costs 15% more as well, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X