Game view poll. Strategy interface and maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game view poll. Strategy interface and maps

The most important part of strategy is strategical part (sounds ugly). And graphics, animation etc. are less important. For example some people still play Civ1 and enjoy playing. But game appearance affects your ability to see teh map. Some strategic games lost their popularity due to their full 3D and good graphics, that makes seeing strategic tiles harder. So graphics is also very important part of strategy game.
    The first way of showing map is full 2D. You can see it in civ1 for example. The next ways of showing were different isometric and birds eye views. Some games provide special hexagonal isometry. Finaly modern games use 3D.
    What do you prefer?
    Full 2D
    7.69%
    Bird's eye
    15.38%
    Isometry
    57.69%
    Hexagonal isometry
    15.38%
    3D
    3.85%
    Bananic projections
    0.00%
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

I personally prefer the isometric view, but hexagonal isn't bad either. Can't really stand most 3d.
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

The way Civ 2 and 3 and EU2 have it is fine IMHO(in that kind of game of course). But what is that called?
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
        The way Civ 2 and 3 and EU2 have it is fine IMHO(in that kind of game of course). But what is that called?
        That's the isometric view.
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Thanks! My vote is in! BTW, out of 3 votes, 3 is for isometric. It'll be interesting to see if that changes after more votes or not.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
            Thanks! My vote is in! BTW, out of 3 votes, 3 is for isometric. It'll be interesting to see if that changes after more votes or not.
            Given that this is such a Civ-friendly site, I suspect isometric view will dominate the poll.

But let's see how it plays out...

Comment

I prefer Isometric... everything is better than 3D, since it's mostly done poorly... very poorly...
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Isometric. The ability to rotate the map through 90 degrees would be useful on a few occasions when there are graphical problems with a particular view.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Static Universe

Given that this is such a Civ-friendly site, I suspect isometric view will dominate the poll.
                  Civ1 is full 2D. And i voted it
                  money sqrt evil;
                  My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

I've voted for isometric, but I also like Full 2D. I haven't seen a 3D game easy to control yet...
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Isometric.

Too much time and enegy is waste on things as free-cam etc... you don't use it, it demands top of the line hardware...
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

For TBS isometric is best.........don't really see how that will change much.

Comment

Isometric looks nicer than straight 2D without sacrificing ease of use.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Could someone please tell me what Hexagonal isometry is? I'm not 100% sure about this one...
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

It's where you have six-sided squares I think. Like in some classic board games and stuff. It's meant to make diagonal movements the same as straight lines, I think.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X