World in Flames anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World in Flames anyone?

First attempt at a thread - anyone strategy fans out there who played a massive WW2 board game called World In Flames might be interested in the beta test of the computer version.

It combines Africa, Planes, America and Ships (all In Flames, of course) so it is a HUGE game. The map makes a Huge Civ map look small.

The beta test for download is at

It's not nearly finished (no AI, no online) but it is just about playable.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Was it as SPI game?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't know who SPI are - I believe the Australian Design Group were behind it.

Was it? Beta tests are pre releases of new games.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I mean the original board game.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

World in Flames is a Computer Game (currently under development and only available as a MP Beta game without any AI) based on the Strategical Tabletop Wargame of the same name. Both versions of the game are published by Australian Design Group a company that is well known for its Napoleonic wars strategical Game called Empire in Arms which was later licensed to Avalon Hill (RIP).

I don't know WiF as a Computer game though I know very well the Tabletop version as I am regularly playing some games with a few friends.

The computer game though is strictly based on the same rules (rather difficult ones) and some aspects of the game could greatly benefit from the assistance of a computer (including the inept and overcomplicated naval combat rules IMO).

What is really interesting with WiF is that it is a Multi-Player game, that the maps are covering the whole world and that you can play the war from September 1939 (Poland's Invasion) to December 1945. The smallest units used in the game are divisions (generally used to take the casualties or to mount special operations) though the vast majority of them are Armies or Corps, the Ships are roughly squadrons of destroyers attached to capital ships and each Air unit represents between 250 to 500 planes. Each hex is approximately 100 km on the European maps, 230 km on the Asian and pacific maps...

I would have been interested with a WiF MP... if I had the time.

I hope my little speach will help you find the players you need to start a game.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

SPI has nothing to do with ADG.

Simulations Publications Inc. was a company of the golden era of wargames, bought by TSR (Tactical Studies Rules, original publisher of Dungeons&Dragons and Advanced D&D) in 1982 and some of its games are now published by Decision Games.

I would recommand the following titles:

World War 1 (the first WW in an afternoon)
            Battle for Germany (simple and fun game)
            Battles for the Ardennes (very entertaining operational game about the operations in the Ardennes in 1940 and 1944)
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks Tamerlin - I hadn't heard of Simulations since the eighties (pre micro-computing) which is why I didn't make the connection.

Comment

WiF is something I wa eagerly following for a while but its taken them simply ages to get to the current state. I'd put the likelihood of a version with competent computer AI ever appearing at something approaching zero, which is a great shame.

Hearts of Iron has stepped in and released the first PC WWII wargame that covers the entire world but it is very different in gameplay. The WiF boardgame was cited as one of their inspirations.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Grumbold:

I believe your assesment regarding the release of this game might just be correct. It is a shame because I have been eagerly awaiting this game as well. They haven't even updated the games' status since august of 2001!

I have HOI and I must admit while I was initially impressed and immersed in the game I am now dissapointed. It seems that the AI is weak IMO compared to EU.
                  signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

yes I'm hoping for a notable improvement in version 1.04 or it will remain unplayed until 1.05 is ready to download.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                    X