Suprising games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suprising games?

Have you ever had a game, that you wasn't sure if it was any good or not, or you actually thought was a boring game, but as you tried it, you was pleasently suprised?

I know, I have once (maybe also several times, but only remember one time):

Back in the days... the good ol' Amiga days... I bought The Settlers... Well, actually I ordered it, so it took a few days before I got the game... Shortly after I ordered it, I started regretting ever ordering it... At that time, the only Strategy game I had ever played was Civ(1)... and I sucked at it... What made me choose to buy it, was the fact that in a review they mentioned it was a mixture of Civ and SimCity... and I loved SimCity (and still do ), but I wasn't much for wargames, and I had never played any RTS game before... As the days went by, my doubt went strong... then finally I got the game, and from my first game I played, I wasn't in doubt anymore... that was the best game I have ever played on the good ol' Amiga...
    This space is empty... or is it?

The first time I played Civ it didn't immediately sink its hooks into me (gasps from audience). It was probably my age, since I was around 13 when Civ1 came out.

Needless to say a couple of weeks later I tried again and the rest is history, and my life is effectively a couple of thousand hours shorter.

Comment

Wolfenstein 3D. It came to me in a disk borrowed from a friend, and I was more interested in the other game he had borrowed me (a chess game).

Then one day I decided to install that game, which my friend had described to me as being "oh, it is just a small action game, you shoot some enemies and open a lot of doors"

I wasn't very excited, but it turned to be so addictive when I started to play it... I remember playing it for hours and hours non-stop, trying to find those damn secrets...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I thought Tribes was going to be a great game, but it was ****e, whereas Hostile Waters, was a pleasantly surprising game, for such little hype, and addictive.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Ever seen Gitaroo Man for the PS2? It's one of those stupid rhythm games like Parappa the Rappa, but it's actually good. It's seriously an amazingly fun game, the soundtrack is catchy, and in the later levels it's freakin hard. The game also supports 4 player head to head action.

As far as I can tell, this game is impossible to find. Somehow my friends and I managed to get a copy from a guy who got it from a guy, etc.
          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Operation Flashpoint. I thought it would've been just another bad 3D-FPS...

Comment

SimGolf.Huge surprise for me.Still fire it up from time to time.
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Tetris.

At first I thought:"what a silly game - this is so boring"
                After a while I couldn't stop playing it.
                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

aaglo: it happened to me too! Who would guess that such a little game could be so addictive?
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

My mother was addicted by Tetris and Dr. Mario... big surprise there.

For consecutive birthdays I've gotten her the Gameboy versions off of half.com and the like.

No clue what I'll get her this year.

My dad was hooked on Centipede.

I was surprised by Pokemon... I expected it to be a sucky kids game... I got hooked (and eventually went out, bought a gameshark, and finished it quickly since I was too impatient to train my creatures to Lv 100.)
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Tetris surely is one of them. The biggest surprise is rogue though. You wouldn't believe how addictive an ASCII text game on a dumb terminal can be.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Medal of Honour: Allied Assault

I've played mostly strategy and puzzle solving games, and never was a big FPS fan. Then one day, maybe 8-10 weeks ago, I bought MOHAA on impulse.

I had no expectations whatsoever and got hooked immediately at the training mission... Storming Omaha beach was tough, I found myself sitting with my shoulders up near my ears as I was literally crouching for cover in the chair...

And the sniper forrest... Played it about 3 in the morning... Walking around in the winter wonderland, only hearing howling watch dogs, the wind and the swaying trees... Five or ten minutes of almost no sound as you look for the snipers... Then BANG!, you're suddenly being shot at by an invisible enemy... Made me in the chair...

Carolus

Comment

Mohaa was one of the biggest diappointments I've had in a long time... It was hyped and praised etc, but in the end it just sucked.

The amount of available weapons was very poor (you can't use the pistol as it is useless..), the system requirements were so high that even with everything turned to minimum detail it lagged me pretty hard, especially the first mission...

I kept fragging, thinkin omaha beach will make the effort worthwhile, but when i got there i was so pissed off... Omaha beach was just a "luck level" run out of the boar, get fragged by an invisible and invincible turret, try again, repeat process 20 times, and ten finally get to the barbed wire, return once more to pickup some artillery pieces and get fragged another 10 times, then try to grenade the bunker, but you walk on the mines so you're dead once again, repeat process another 10 times and then I ****ing gave up, there was no skill involved, just luck
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Talking about fps games:

Serious Sam was suprising... The humour used in the game was very great, and the maps where extremely large... but still it ran almost perfect on a low-end machine... I was expecting Just another "shoot-first, shoot some more, then forget to ask the questions" game, but in the end, this became the best fps game, since Duke Nukem 3D
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
                              Mohaa was one of the biggest diappointments I've had in a long time... It was hyped and praised etc, but in the end it just sucked.
                              I missed out on the hype, and I don't have much experience with FPS so I can't say how it is compared to other games in the genre. If this game sucks, I have to look more into FPS for sure!

The amount of available weapons was very poor (you can't use the pistol as it is useless..), the system requirements were so high that even with everything turned to minimum detail it lagged me pretty hard, especially the first mission...
                              Yes, I have a low end computer too, and sometimes the game crashed, but only a few times in the beginning. And since I've never been much of a graphics fetischist, playing with minimum detail didn't bother me. But I must admit that it would be fun to replay it with full detail...

I kept fragging, thinkin omaha beach will make the effort worthwhile, but when i got there i was so pissed off... Omaha beach was just a "luck level" run out of the boar, get fragged by an invisible and invincible turret, try again, repeat process 20 times, and ten finally get to the barbed wire, return once more to pickup some artillery pieces and get fragged another 10 times, then try to grenade the bunker, but you walk on the mines so you're dead once again, repeat process another 10 times and then I ****ing gave up, there was no skill involved, just luck
                              Yes, I think I died at least 30-40 times before getting through and the first times it really is luck. There are a couple of ways to get through, but the problem with games like these is that (in SP) they have little replay value. Once you learn where the bad guys are you know what to do etc.

I admit that it is very frustrating when you get stuck in a mission. Then I put the game aside for a few days and come back later. This never happens with Civ2, where only hunger, fatigue or external pressure can drag me away...

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                              X