Reach For The Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reach For The Stars

I just bought this game at the cheap rack. the Game Mags gave it mediocre reviews, But I've been having fun.

Of course, I'm getting my butt stomped too. I started a game in a small galaxy, made all my opponents easy computer, and went at it. one of the 5 allied with me, two of the others allied against me, and I couldn't reach the bad guys worlds for a while, by which time they sent out huge fleets and destroyed all my worlds. Game over, turn 78.

so, what did I do wrong? I expanded as much as I could, like I usually do..

and, do you like the game?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I am not a fan of the game but I'd have to load it up again to give you detailed reasons why. Broadly it was too simple, combat was too limited (2 ranges, 3 formations iirc) and diplomacy was flat.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

The game is okay, nothing exceptional.

Expand like hell, but grab the best worlds first.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In addtion to rapid expansion massive fleets of big high tech ships are what you need to win.

Never really examined the factors involved in diplomacy but I usually ended up warring with everyone eventually no matter how friendly I was. All in all I agree with the previous posters. RFTS2 is ok but nothing that can keep you playing years after taking it off of your harddrive.
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I like some of the ideas, like various species have different tolerances, max pop, etc. That will make strategy more interesting.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I started another game as the Hive, which look to be the warmonger race. I expanded like mad until I ran into other races on all sides, and am now trying to develop while keeping from a serious war at the same time.

The hive seem to be a LOT slower in the research dept than the humans were....

One beautiful thing that seems to work is the wraparound map - All sides!! I can scroll in any direction and wrap around. wish more games did that!

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Yeah, the wraparound map is a nice touch.

Comment

Yep, how many RTS games do we se that in? Imagine playing AOK or somesuch but with no corner to hide in! But this is getting off the track of this thread a bit...
                Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Oh, I lost money with this game. Full price here (NZ) is about $100. After some time I managed to beat the shopkeeer down to about $45. Then a few weeks later I saw it at The Warehouse for $9.95! Argghh! I hate it when that happens! In the last three or four years I've lost hundred of dollars on games that I could've saved if I'd just waited a bit.
                  Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                  Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Yup. If you wait long enough games end up in bargain bins

Comment

Not to mention that by the time it makes it into the bargain bin, I usually have somewhere enough computer to run it.

The game really encourages the use of a multiple size fleet. A zillion small ships will get cut up by a balanced fleet, and a bunch of big ships will take a lot of damage before they get most of their shots out.

Diplomacy kind of sucks, though. That's why I'm playing as the hive. no diplomacy wanted. I might as well be Aiel, at war with everyone.

Comment

Father Beast:

You'll not only find that balanced fleets are a must but balanced weapons are too. I usually build ships with balanced weapons capable of doing a fair amount of damage at all ranges. Then I build ships that specialize in long or short range attacks. Finally I build big ships to filled with massive firepower to be used as the core of a fleet.

Combine all these ship types in a fleet of say 20 - 30 ships and you'll have an unstoppable force!
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I guess there's something to say for balanced weapons. In running a campaign as the hive against both the Trogarchs and myrmodi, I disdained the use of beam weapons since my best beamer was only 13/13/13 and my best torpedo was something like 29/25/23. better at all ranges.

but while I kicked trogarch butt, I kept having trouble with myrmodi. I realized I need some balance when I went against a myrmodi fleet with twice as many ships and got blasted out of the sky while only killing half of theirs!!

The combat results told the story. Their ECM is just unbelievable! only one missile in 5 was actually hitting their ships! that makes a big difference. all that penetration doesn't do a bit of good if it doesn't even hit

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Yup. If you wait long enough games end up in bargain bins
                            And many more just in bins.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Unfortunately, the local game stores don't have bargain bins.

Comment

Working...
                              X