Max Payne...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Payne...

I've been thinking about buying this game. But does my computer have what it takes?

CPU: Intel III 550 Mhz
    SDRAM: 384 MB
    Graphics processor: Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro 32 MB

I know the minimum requirements are met, but...

Have you played Max Payne on a low end computer? What were the specs? Did it run ok?

Carolus

800 Mhz, 128Mt, not a good graphic card. Runs ok with minimum details. I don't recommend buying it if it's over €15 (150SEK?), even if you like action games and have money to spend, the game is short, altough playing around with editor is kind-of fun.
    The reason why my money wasn't wasted (I bought it almost immediately it came out) was that at that time, the graphics/sounds -combination created an unique atmosphere, made you pretty impressed. I doubt that it will work anymore, even with maximum details. The storyline's a one big bad cliche, the games short, mod-community is not as strong as in other games, so :|

But yes, I think that it works ok with your PC. Contrary to other games, the minimum requirements are actually pretty accurate in Max Payne.

Comment

I have a P3 500, 128 SDRAM and Geforce 2 MX. I remember it running pretty much perfectly on my computer.

And I'll second that it's not that great a game.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i haven't played it but fps probably don't really matter since i thought max payne's big feature was bullet time. you don't need many fps when all you are basically doing is playing at 1/10 speed during bullet time.
        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I have a P3 700 with 256 megs of ram. i seemed to run it OK. I think I had my voodoo 3 3000 card in at the time.

I grew tired of it after one day. But it was a copy from a guy who brought it in Thailand. Which means he didn't actually buy it

Comment

A low end system wont run this very well. It's rubbish anyway.........I don't know how it got so many 90%+ marks, because the gameplay is average, and the story/dialogue actual made me want to put my head through the monitor.

Do check out System Shock 2, which ran fine on my P2-400 with Voodoo 3, which I had at the time. Also check out Deus Ex if you haven't already.

Both these games have great stories and great action, and SS2 has IMO the best atmosphere of any game on any platform ever. Play this with the lights off in an empty house and you wont sleep well after.

Comment

A low end system wont run this very well. It's rubbish anyway.........I don't know how it got so many 90%+ marks, because the gameplay is average, and the story/dialogue actual made me want to put my head through the monitor.
              It was never ment to stand time anyway, but to grasp it's players with graphics never seen before in PC's.

Comment

Thanks to all!

Yes, the game is on offer (for about £15) and it seems to have gotten great reviews. But from what I've read here...

DrSpike,

I'll check them out, thanks!

Carolus

Comment

As I had the game, I had a P3 500 MHz, 192 mb ram (or was it 128?) and a Voodoo 3 3000, and the game ran perfectly in all levels, except for the special "dream" levels... I never got to the last episode, since it kept Freezing in the Dream levels... and that was in all dream levels, though somehow I could get through the first 2 dream levels, but gave up at the last one...

Though what drags people to the game, is the same thing that dragged me away from the game... I never really liked the Bullet Time, I only played the game, because of the story... (...and yes, I hated the movie Matrix also )
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I never cared for bullet time anyways. and I suck at FPS'ers

Comment

I actually liked the script alot.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I love the game. All you Payne haters should be taken out and shot. In slow motion.

Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of rolls and the sawn-off shotgun.

Comment

twin Ingrams. don't last long, but what fun!
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

i actually finished it without using bullet time, because i was crap with it. pretty good game, worth buying if you've got a few days to waste.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                              SS2 has IMO the best atmosphere of any game on any platform ever. Play this with the lights off in an empty house and you wont sleep well after.
                              Babies must rest.

Babies must sleep.

Why is there one who does not awaken?

I'll tear out your heart...
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X