You guys ever played Axis & Allies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys ever played Axis & Allies?

It's a great board game, and the PC version is pretty fun too - takes a lot less time to set up

Wanted to see if anyone had some good game memories to share, like the 5 hour game I had. I was playing as the USSR, and had the terrible combination of a novice UK ally and a fairly decent Japanese opponent. I actually managed to stay in the game and even had the Japanese on the defensive - mainly as a result of very good dice rolls - but eventually I was defeated.

Have you tried the Iron Blitz edition?
    It includes Marine units, Minor surface ships and a few other changes/upgrades.

You'll learn which technologies are right for your business and will help you increase sales, speed up transactions, reduce labor costs and protect your data.

Comment

On the boardgame:

5 hours sounds about average to me. When I was in the army, a good friend of mine would want to play this game every night, and I mean *EVERY NIGHT*.

He had the oversized map, all the add-on pieces like U-boats, and the extended rules that start the game in like 1932(?). If you think the game is long and drawn out when played with just the original rules, try playing with *ALL* the optionals sometime.

I think A&A is probably one of the greatest boardgames ever made, but I got so burned out on it I've never wanted to play it again. My personal preferences lie with more open-ended games like Supremacy, which unfortunately has been out of print for some time now.
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

You guys ever played Axis & Allies?
        Yes.

Wanted to see if anyone had some good game memories to share
        No.

I always lost. :|

Comment

a good friend of mine would want to play this game every night, and I mean *EVERY NIGHT*.

Every night? I wouldn't be able to handle the 10-15 minute setup, let alone the 5 hour games. I thought I was a fan, that guy sounds like a fanatic!

I'll look into that link for IB. I've looked for it, but the only places I've been able to find it to buy are online, and they want 20 bucks or so.

Comment

What's this about extended rules?

5 hours is the longest game you've ever had? Me and a few friends did a 10 hour marathon one night last spring. IIRC, the axis evetually gave up when we had it down to japan on a few small islands and germany controlling germany and western europe. (By giving up I mean knocking the board over in disgust)

Comment

I played the board game years ago, and picked up the computer game about 2 years ago. It is quite fun, but even post-patch is plagued by bugs, crashes and some game-stopping glitches (stuck aircraft).

I looked for the Iron Blitz edition, which supposedly is more stable, but it is out of print.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                There have been several expansions released by other companies, altough I can't remember which the exact ones we played with. New rules, new units, new techs, that sort of thing.

Latest news and guides for Warhammer 40k, Age of Sigmar, Dungeons and Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, board games, TTRPGs, war games, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and more
                "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower

5 hours is the longest game you've ever had? Me and a few friends did a 10 hour marathon one night last spring. IIRC, the axis evetually gave up when we had it down to japan on a few small islands and germany controlling germany and western europe. (By giving up I mean knocking the board over in disgust)

There are several variations people play w/ the board game, and from what I hear these are included in Iron Blitz. I've played a 1940 version, where USSR & USA are restricted from joining the war until they are attacked, and things of this nature. Not sure if that is what it meant by 'extended rules'.

Yes, 5 hours is the longest game. This is due to the fact that my brother-in-law has a bad habit of dominating the board as Japan.

My fellow players lack the stamina and dedication shown by you, and aren't able to stay for 10 hours. Quitters!

We've only had one incident where a player knocked the board over (also playing as Germany) when he was close to being defeated. Needless to say, he was reprimanded. Severely.

Comment

Originally posted by Static23

There have been several expansions released by other companies, altough I can't remember which the exact ones we played with. New rules, new units, new techs, that sort of thing.

http://www.wargamer.com/axisandallie...ions_main.html

Those look pretty cool, never knew there were so many.

Comment

Japan is really easy to play as when the game starts, because you basically get to run roughshod over the Pacific without much resistance. Russia is too busy fending off (or, as is more often, being crushed by) Germany, the Brits in Australia don't have much, and the Americans can't get their fleet/troops into a position to be much trouble initially.

That's why Allied players should actually concentrate forces on Japan early and save the concentrated attack on Germany for a little later. Actually, if all sides make the right moves, the Axis is virtually assured of losing.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Those look pretty cool, never knew there were so many.
                        Also, game shops used to sell diecast expansion units in packs similar a la Warhammer pieces. I would assume these are still available in hard-core wargaming shops.

Comment

Not too many of those around where I live, least as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                            Not too many of those around where I live, least as far as I know.
                            Perhaps I should say "gaming shops with a section dedicated to wargaming". Probably any gaming shop can special order them, as well. Surely they must have catalogs to cater to special customers.

I spent most of my Army time at Fort Hood(TX), and I know I saw Axis and Allies expansion stuff in Killeen and Austin. Possibly Waco, as well.

Perhaps if you're ever down that way, you can check some of these places out if they're still open. It's been about 6-7 years, and I can't remember any of their names.

Comment

I'm sure there are some around, probably quite a few, I just don't know about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X