Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C&C Generals Video card question

Hey there,

I bought C&C Generals and I think it is a very entertaining game.

However, on my system which is an AMD 700Mhz Athlon, 256MB Ram, Nvidia TNT2 M64 card with 32 MB memory, it runs between slow motion and normal with EVERYTHING disabled.

I know I took a chance since the specs are for at least an 800Mhz system.

It is still playable though, and I have alot of fun with it.

I am just wondering if upgrading my video card will help make things move along a little better.

Is the game video card intensive? or CPU intensive?...

Anyone know?

And as a side note, although I think C&C Generals is good, I still have yet to see an RTS game that matches Earth2150's 3D graphics. The designers of that game and it's sequel must be from another planet...

That games graphics rocked! Not only does it do what C&C Gen does, but better...and more...you could not only rotate and zoom the view, but change the elevation...and pause and rotate. The plasma and energy weapons effects alone are awesome.

And it runs on my system smoothly...go figure...

thanks for the help.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

upgrading your vid card would absolutely help. your tnt is definetly showing the gray hair dude. with bald patches.

i'd suggest going for at least a high end geforece 3 (or a comparable ati). they're not too expensive (less than $150 in most places) and they run pretty good.

To be honest though, I'd suggest a proc upgrade too. You could easily make the jump to an amd 2000 xp with mboard and 512 mb ram for less than 300 bucks. I did that last christmas. $100 bucks for proc, $120 for mboard (i bought a high end asus that'll take 3200 ram) and then i bought two 256 sticks of pc2100 from bestbuy for forty bucks a piece.

But you'll need a new vid card eventually anyway. For generals, you'll easily be able to tell the difference. But just in general, I'd suggest an upgrade.

Buy something! Help out all of us poor folks in the computer industry!
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Yeah, I have been wanting an entire system upgrade, but until generals, it wasn't necessary.

Well, Warcraft3 kinda told me it might be time. I'm starting to hear groans coming from my box...
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Ahhh Voodoo why did you die
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Ahhh Voodoo why did you die
          corparate mismanagement. their development times were too long also. and the last couple boards they produced just weren't up to snuff.
          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Is a GForce 2 good enough to play General's? I have a notebook and am thinking about getting it.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Well,

In answer to my own question,

I just got a geforce4 mx440, and it makes a huge difference over my old tnt2 m64. it was playable with everything disabled on the tnt2, although a bit in slow motion.

I have to believe that a geforce2 is better than a tnt2 , so...

the game actually recommends a geforce 2 "or better"..

although i wonder if a notebook version of the geforce 2 is as powerful as the desktop card...

of course then there is the ram question...

if only a demo were available so people could test it.

Comment

Working...
              X