Should I buy Hearts of Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy Hearts of Iron

Looks good, but I've seen conflicting reports. I'm a fan of Imperialism & Civ II, but have never played an EU game. I want to know, is it worth the price?

Yeah man, go grab it.

Isn't there a HoI/EU forum here?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Indeed there is

John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

i can't make up my mind on buying it either. i loved eu2 but hoi seems a much different game, even though it's made by the same company. it looks like a lot of micromanagement given the few aar's i've read.
        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

The only difference from EU in micro management is a more detailed (and some might complain "sprawled", though I do not see that as a problem) tech tree, resource management, and the ability to time invasions for synchronized assaults, or to account for bad weather. I do not find it any more difficult to play in that regard then EU.

The game is very good, but like the EU's, it was released unfinished - it's being pathed up quite well but is still not at the level that EU2 is currently at. (and, like the EU's, it will no doubt be completed eventually - I think that with the next patch it will reach a level of what I think should've been the minimum for release)
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yes, the game is better than Civ3... well that doesn't say much, but it's still good
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've put off buying it for the moment.

Maybe a couple of patches down the line when MP is sorted out.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

and some might complain "sprawled"
                but not the moo3 players.
                By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo

but not the moo3 players.
                  Funny.

At least, funny now that I have returned it...

HOI IMHO needs more patches. But, knowing Paradox, we can trust them to do so.

K
                  "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

I played the demo, and it didn't grab me. But then, I only thought the EU series was good, not great.

Comment

theres a demo for hearts of iron?

news to me

Comment

Like EU, HoI seems ultimately shallow to me. There's little interesting to do besides the strategic combat. Even the bare-bones colony building of EU is non-existant.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well HoI is about refighting WW2 with a few what-ifs thrown in to stir the pot in ways that previous WW2 games have not done. Its not designed to be a country simulator set in 1940.

At the moment its more game than WW2 re-enactment, which won't appeal to the purists. Nevertheless I've had fun playing it, and at 100 or so hours have had a good return for my money. I won't be playing it again for a while because I'm addicted to MoO3 and Gal Civ will soon be here. Once a patch comes out that improves the air warfare sequences I'll definitely take another good look at it.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            Yes, the game is better than Civ3...
                            Blasphemer!

Burn him!
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR, Sava's been flamed so much, burning him wouldn't do anything new .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X