Help Finding Old Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding Old Game

I'm trying to figure out the name of an old game I used to play about 11-13 years ago, and I was wondering if anybody could help me out.

Some details:

- There was a DOS and a Mac version at least.

- It fit on a single 1.4 floppy.

- It was a turn based military strategy game.

- The combat model was similar to Civ 1. You moved land/sea/air units around to conquer enemy cities while they tried to do the same to you

- Cities produced only military units. I don't believe you could build new cities, but you could take over neutral ones, IIRC.

- In dos, the predominant (only?) color was green. The Mac version I played was black and white.

- Possibly networkable

- The goal was to conquer the world

- I think there was only one opponent

That's about all I can remember. Any clues?
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Re: Help Finding Old Game

Originally posted by Static23
    I'm trying to figure out the name of an old game I used to play about 11-13 years ago, and I was wondering if anybody could help me out.

Some details:

- There was a DOS and a Mac version at least.

- It fit on a single 1.4 floppy.

- It was a turn based military strategy game.

- The combat model was similar to Civ 1. You moved land/sea/air units around to conquer enemy cities while they tried to do the same to you

- Cities produced only military units. I don't believe you could build new cities, but you could take over neutral ones, IIRC.

Sounds like "Empire"

ACK!

- In dos, the predominant (only?) color was green. The Mac version I played was black and white.

- Possibly networkable

- The goal was to conquer the world

- I think there was only one opponent

That's about all I can remember. Any clues?
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Re: Help Finding Old Game

Originally posted by Tuberski

Sounds like "Empire"
      Thanks,

I grabbed it off Underdogs, and I think this might be it, but I'm not sure. This seems a little more complicated than I remember, and I have a fuzzy recollection that the units were surrounded by a squarish border like a true "tile".
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Help Finding Old Game

Originally posted by Static23

Thanks,

I grabbed it off Underdogs, and I think this might be it, but I'm not sure. This seems a little more complicated than I remember, and I have a fuzzy recollection that the units were surrounded by a squarish border like a true "tile".
        Did you grab Empire or Empire Deluxe?

There is a difference.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help Finding Old Game

Originally posted by Tuberski

Did you grab Empire or Empire Deluxe?

There is a difference.

ACK!
          I grabbed Empire. If it is Empire related, it can't can't be Empire Deluxe, because I played the game in 92 at the latest.

Comment

Tuberski, you realy should do something about that hairball problem.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Ummm.. I think to remember having played it, but can't recall the name.
              I got a Win 3.0 port tho, named WinBattle or something....

top down squarish view, islands not that big, bullets like needles?
              I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

DP
                Last edited by Static Universe; February 6, 2003, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne

Don't remember any bullets, small islands sounds familiar.

Sad part is, I had the game a year ago but I accidently threw away a bunch of old floppies that had games on some of them. I think I last played some of them around 96.

Empire seems very close, but I don't recall the game having top down menus. If it's any help, the game was floating around network systems at the University of Missouri-Columbia around 90-91.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne

umm, that sort of sounds like a windows game I saw called "mother of all battles.
                    cities could make units, and weren't good for anything else. you could uncover the map by exploring, like civ, and the map was generally small and wrapped around both ways (up, down - side, side)
                    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast

umm, that sort of sounds like a windows game I saw called "mother of all battles.
                      cities could make units, and weren't good for anything else. you could uncover the map by exploring, like civ, and the map was generally small and wrapped around both ways (up, down - side, side)
                      This seems very close too, but came out about four years after I first played it. I went to the developer's website, and he says he based his game on a Mac-only wargame called Strategic Battles, which had no Windows port.

Empire is a strong possibility, but seems just slightly more complicated than I remember.

Any other games in the genre?

Comment

Working...
                      X