The past four years of gaming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The past four years of gaming...

GoneGold has an article (http://www.gonegold.com/misc/02review/) about gaming over the past four years. Included some interesting statistics such as number of titles per genre released in the past years:
    Turn Based Strategy:
    1999: 15
    2000: 16
    2001: 08
    2002: 09

Flight Sims:
    1999: 12
    2000: 11
    2001: 10
    2002: 3

It also has total number of games released broken down to originals/sequals/add-ons/etc.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

wow, i always thought more games were released than that...
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Well, it is just PC games.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

a category I'm interested in

Role Playing: 15 17 15 14

fairly constant. With only a slight dip. I don't like too many games anyways. Not enough time to play them. I still haven't had a chance to play the Icewind Dale games.

I prefer a few quality games

Comment

Same here btwn work, commuting and being a husband there is just not enough time to play all the games that I'd like. That's the reason I haven't started Morrowind although I love RPG's. Problem with the games I like (RPGs, TBS) is that they all take up so much time!

So long...
          Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
          Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
          Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

too bad tbs is starting to suffer.....i guess its hard to constantly reinvent games
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Turn based isn't 'fashionable' I guess. I have to say I don't think the genre will die........hopefully with less releases the general quality of them will be higher.

Comment

Well, I am not sure about other TBS games but Civ 3 certainly gave the category a good name if we go by the sales figures. I also know a couple people that would not even think about TBS but after trying Civ 3 out they converted!

So long...
                Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Yeah, too much good games, and too few time!!

about TBS, there are still various games being released, for example etherlords II is coming soon, or some nice tank game (forgot the name of the game )... they're just not big budget like DOOM3 or UT2003 etc..

Age of wonders 1&2 are a good example of fine low budget games
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What about Warlords IV - isn't that out soon?

Comment

What about FPS?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I guess it would be under 'action':

72 65 60 64

Online worlds appear to be ramping up steadily.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, a few quality games seem to be coming out (or have come out) in 2003: SimCity 4, Galatic Civilisation, and Warlords 4. It's shaping up to be a good year for gamers.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Don't forget Master of Orion III.

Comment

Adventure games seem to be growing disproportionately to the interest in buying them

-I would have thought that more RPGs were released than they stated???
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X