The Longest RPG ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Longest RPG ever?

Just wondering what has been people's experience is the longest RPG in terms of play time? And in these long ones, do you spend a lot of time level-gaining, or is there a good, really long RPG out there with a solid story whose length is based more on adventuring than level-building/dungeon crawl? I personally remember playing Lunar: The Silver Star for a few hours every day after school for over a month, and it seemed to be a pretty plot driven game.
    Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
    Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
    Wadsworth: Well your work has not changed.

If you're talking about console RPG's, then Xenogears has to be one of the longest. Great story as well.

If you're talking PC RPG's, who knows? You'd could play something like Everquest for ever...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well i don't know morrowind and neverwinter nights enough (right now) but it looks like Morrowind is good for adventuring...

Divine divinity and the BG saga have a plot you have to follow somewhat (but you can still do whatever you want, just not always)... i did enjoy the BG series the most though... in fact i'll never forget it: one the top games ever !!!
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I think that Morrowind is actually the longe4st; at least some computer gaming magazines claim that but Neverwinter nights can be made longer with supplements downloadable from the net.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

BG must be long enough, and its definately one of the best

Comment

Online games probably shouldn't count here...
            Talent Optional

Comment

Morrowind is very long and very easy to mod, there are already a lot of mods for it, both official and unofficial.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Morrowind

followed by Baldur's Gate 2.

As for NWN the original campaign isn't that long. I don't think you can add up original modules. And don't get me started on peristant worlds.

Comment

Well, if you take Wizardry 6-8 as one big story, there's a very, very, long game right there.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

My longest RPG is the AD&D campaign that has been running for 18 years now and counting. That said, I don't think you can guage CRPG's on their longevity easily. If you stick to the essential plot only then most of them can be finished in 50 hours or less. Its the breadth of alternative paths that expand them out into much longer adventures if you choose. In that respect I think Arcanum, BG II, Morrowind, Wizardry 8 and Fallout 2 are all worthy. Planescape: Torment still caps them in terms of story content, but probably not in time taken to play.

Of all the MMORPG's I think only Asherons Call 1 had a vast amount of time and effort poured into the lore and history. Its hard to piece together parts of it without endless fighting though so I don't recommend it as a story led game.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Don't paly that many RPG's but I played BG2, and that was rather long.

Comment

If you take Ultima 7 pts 1 and 2 as one story, that's also pretty long.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

both BG1 and BG2 are long and very enjoyable (although I think BG2 had me occupied for a longer time).

Comment

Of course, isn't "length" relative? I finished BG in a month, but I first played Ultima 5 when I was 14 or so and have yet to finish it...
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Not really. If a game takes more hours to complete it is longer, regardless of how those hours are spread out.

Comment

Working...
                              X