Boardgame GO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to crush the computer

Just allow me to gloat a bit - yeah I know it is at the lowest setting, I can't seem to move it up. :/
    Attached Files
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Nice job, UR.

32 to 3? Am I scoring it right? I would need to know the number of captured stones, of course, but all the groups on the board look alive...
      Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 20, 2002, 20:28.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

ok i have played this before, but its all confusing, i don't understand the scorring from that picture?????
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          Nice job, UR.

32 to 3? Am I scoring it right? I would need to know the number of captured stones, of course, but all the groups on the board look alive...
          Something like that. Of course it's on a 9x9 grid and a 4 stone handicap in favour of me, so that's nothing to be proud of . I have played a couple of games and I am up to 15 Kyu - that's how it adjusts the rating, by wins and loses.

The funnest one (I didn't capture the screen) was one where it surrendered after a couple of moves, leaving me with the entire board.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
            ok i have played this before, but its all confusing, i don't understand the scorring from that picture?????
            First, you count number of cross intersections each side has. In the picture, all groups are "live," so you just count the intersections within each group. Then you count the number of stones you have captured. These are used to fill in territories, i.e., subtract from what each player has.

That's it. Nothing to it.

Comment

This is even better

The computer player has nothing
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi All:

I played a fair amount of go about 15 years ago, and have recently returned to the game. So I have handy some Go resources for those who are interested. First there's

Sensei's Go Library of which this is the keywords page. So for info on openings you can follow the link up top, and then follow the link therein for info on the 3,3 point and its use in the opening. Its for securing the corner, as has been said above. Another really good set of references, though expensive, is the "Elementary Go Series" from ishi press. Its like 8 volumes and covers openings, attack and defese strategy, living shapes (how to ensure you can guarantee two eyes if attacked) and lots more. I expect you can get the volumes separately. The first volume on the opening is particularly good. I'm not certain its still in print, but its likely it is. Addr. for Ishi is in the screen igowin puts up at the end asking you to buy the full version.

There's also a fairly good go room at the MS zone here. Though when you don't know what you're doing, I think igowin is pretty good for simple tactics. Some people there don't know english, so if you want to learn, explain that, and make sure you get someone who's willing to give you pointers. It may take a bit of hanging around to find someone that fits the bill. . .

I'm not particularly good, but I'm not a novice either. Maybe 7 or 8 kyu. Don't believe the rankings from igowin, I can sometimes get it to say I'm about 10 levels better (about 10 stones worth of handicap on a 19x19 board) with that! Is anyone around here about 7K? Maybe we could put together a game sometime.

Cya,

Mark
                Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Long long time ago when I had human opponents to play against, I was somewhere around 7k or a bit higher. Now I am pretty rusty though I don't mind setting up a game some time. Just let me wash my arse first

Yeah igowin is pretty good at tactics (but not all the time, see above ) but completely suck at strategy. You can keep beating it by avoiding "knife fights" and just surround territory.

Comment

Heh, my old roomate and I used to play Go in our neural networks class.
                    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Hey UR, happy to play sometime. Why don't we wait till you can get up to about 3K on igowin though, so you're not too rusty. Just let me know when you're ready!

Cya,

Mark
                      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Got cha.

Comment

Lookin' forward to it! See you in a week or whatever.

Comment

i've been told that the corners are less important on the smaller boards, as there isn't enough territory to capture as the center of the board.

i've been playing go for a few years now, but only sporadically. at my best i was only about 15k. i've probably backslid alot since then.
                            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Just like chess, you really do need to hit the books (or websites in this day and age) to keep going. Smaller boards are harder in some ways, since if you goof up once it is a lot tougher to recover.

Comment

Working...
                              X