Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What board game should I get for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What board game should I get for Christmas?

If I were to get a board game for Chrimbo, which one should I get. I liked Risk, if thats any help, and I want one thats less than $30

Ever played Campaign?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Campaign is better than Risk, but you might want to also think about Avalon Hill's Civilization, spiritual forbear to Sid's game.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Diplomacy? Although you'd need a fair amount of poeple to play against? But you could then play them over the stories/diplomacy forum on apolyton
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The new Sid Meier#s Civilization is fun too, but I suspect its more than $30.

"Tigris & Euphrates" I enjoy playing and will take considerably less time to finish than either Civ game.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

History of the World. Very good for 5 or 6 players (it might even play 7). It can take a whole evening.
            Not sure about the price though as I haven't bought it - just played it around friends

Comment

If you ever see a game of Talisman, pick it up. It's a great games, especially good for parties because you can learn it in a few minutes, and players can join and leave in the middle of the game with no problem.

The bad news is Games Workshop is no longer making it. I heard it was going for $400 on ebay.

Comment

There are lots and lots of suggestions at the following site:

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  If you ever see a game of Talisman, pick it up. It's a great games, especially good for parties because you can learn it in a few minutes, and players can join and leave in the middle of the game with no problem.

The bad news is Games Workshop is no longer making it. I heard it was going for $400 on ebay.
                  Played it to death. Its fun but after a while its quite obvious which player(s) are winning, but it can take another hour for them to actually do it. I've only got the original game and the first expansion but a friend bought absolutely everything.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

but after a while its quite obvious which player(s) are winning, but it can take another hour for them to actually do it
                    bah! Wait until they get turned into a toad and then take their stuff while they're hopping around

Comment

Warrior Knights ? Do they still make it ?
                      It was always our alternative to Risk for a quick and simple game although as we didn't trust each other an inch we had to put a cap on any diplomacy.

Comment

What about chess?
                        Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

get the civ boardgame so i can hear about it in the forums
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            bah! Wait until they get turned into a toad and then take their stuff while they're hopping around
                            That's why you couldn't lose with the Prophetess.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Trivial Pursuit.
                              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X