I hate sim city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate sim city

Yes, you read it right, I hate sim city, the sims, and sim anything else. The open-endedness makes me want to reach for my mouse cord and use it to strangle myself. The sheer pointlessness of it all perturbs me, and, though for many years I thought it was an subtle existential exposition on the nature of being, now I see it is just a boring game.

Give me a game with a well-defined goal any day.

To tell you the truth... I only like SimCity, The Sims is a socal game (and I'm a loner and prond of it!) and the rest of the game suck! (And I should know, I played them all, the WROST was Sim Ant!)
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Just to post my oppinion in this thread:

I love SimCity, and I'll (proberbly) love SimCity 4 even more

The reason:

SimCity is open ended, you define your own goal. It doesn't say "Game over" when you're having the most fun. And in SimCity 4, the details (both graphical and gameplay) in the game are soooo deep... (Read a review, or see some screenshots, then you'll know what I'm talking about...)

Btw, if you want to see some screenshots (or read about the game):

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Well openendedness is something you either love or hate. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, but with nothing to focus on I get bored very soon.

Comment

I'm trying out The Sims Online right now to see what it's all about, since it's free and all.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't like simtower and other similar sim-experiments. SimCity is an exception.

Comment

Ah, Sim Tower, I'd forgotten about that. Just as well really, or I'd have put in a sly comment about how fun it is to design optimal elevator systems.

Comment

I like both a goal and openend. Although, I realy hate it when, in the effort of making a good story, programmers kill Single Player replay value with scipted events up the ***. Oh they are nice the FIRST TIME you play a SP level, but that's it.

I didn't care for many of the Sim games, only because I'm just not good at them, although SimEarth is an exception. I did play The Sims for a while, but after playing it for 2 hours, I relize this guy's life is BETTER THEN MINE!
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I like SimCity. I like the openendedness (what a word! ) but I understand that it might sometimes be a boring thing, especially when your metropolis seems to have reached an 'optimal' level beyond which nothing more can be added in terms of fun.

But I hate the Sims. That is a boring game. Make food, take a shower, read a book, have a romance. Boring.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Build a residential area, build a road, acheive nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                      I did play The Sims for a while, but after playing it for 2 hours, I relize this guy's life is BETTER THEN MINE!
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

SimCity is nice in the sense that you aren't pressed to do anything - just like watching fishes in an aquarium.

Maxis was careful calling SimCity etc. as "software toys" instead of games. Anyway, there is a time and place to go paragliding and there is a time and place to watch fishies.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          SimCity is nice in the sense that you aren't pressed to do anything - just like watching fishes in an aquarium.
                          This is fair. I am quite happy to watch the spotted red ribback salmon (btw I made that up) and friends for 1 hour say. After that it's like, well, pretty boring.

Comment

I love all SimGames (except The Sims which I've never played), but I don't play them every day. Openendedness is one positive, I suppose. Other than that ('cause that certainly isn't the only thing I think about with these games) it's kind of hard to explain.
                            Last edited by Mr. President; December 3, 2002, 07:06.
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

There is fun in setting yourself challenges and doing your best to achieve them.

But as has been said, there is a time and place for everything, and sim-type games use their time up quickly.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X