Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega-Lo-Mania

Does anyone remember this game?

This was the first strategy game I ever played on my Amiga. There were 4 factions, and you could choose, though there little or no difference between them. You had to research stuff, form alliances, the usual suspects.

The best part of the game was entering a square where you had twice as many men as another faction then cancelling the alliance and butchering them.

Also great was the "We've nuked them" speech when you launched nuclear weapons. Also you could (if you knew MAD was in place) move 1 guy to another square and win.

Ah, one of Sensible Software's first and finest games. Ridiculously lop-sided battles (biplanes vs archers), great voice acting (and brilliant for 1991 and an 8-bit sound chip) including the already mentioned extremely enthusiastic "We nuked 'em!" speech, the indignant "We've been nuked!" and the sulky professor complaining that his lab had been destroyed. I spent countless hours on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tau Ceti

...great voice acting (and brilliant for 1991 and an 8-bit sound chip) including the already mentioned extremely enthusiastic "We nuked 'em!" speech, the indignant "We've been nuked!" and the sulky professor complaining that his lab had been destroyed. I spent countless hours on this.
      Did you finish the game? There was a 'track' at the end with all the cool speeches and sound effects mashed together into a chaotic whole. It was great fun, and very innovative.

Comment

Great game. I had it for the SNES and the sounds were great.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This was a great game.

The sounds were great, I loved the "We're running out of elements!" one that sounded like he said 'elephants'.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

DrSpike: Yes, several times, though I do not remember the end you describe. It has been a few years...

The sound guy for Mega-Lo-Mania, Richard Joseph, also did the sound on all the other Sensible games, as well as those of The Bitmap Brothers and Cinemaware. It is all great.

Comment

Originally posted by Tau Ceti
              DrSpike: Yes, several times, though I do not remember the end you describe. It has been a few years...
              Different versions perhaps? I am sure that was how it ended..........though indeed it has been a few years. Perhaps others will remember.

Comment

Fun indeed.
                www.bhlegend.com for anyone who wants the PC version.

Comment

Crap game.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      Crap game.
                      Good game.

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                        Would you care to elaborate?
                        All right, if you insist. The problem is the design is not balanced. Okay, that's the big problem I remember. Anyway, it's the third scenario or whatever where you have to fight a couple of enemies on an island. It's not so bad until you realise that each one was the equal of you. There were certain expendable resources that you couldn't get back until the next scenario. In other words, the game was so badly designed that they need to stack the odds against you 2:1.

Upon realising that, I stopped playing.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Do try and put the game in it's context..........such strategy games were rare at the time, and there was a lot mega-lo-lo-mania did well. I remember it fondly.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                            Fun indeed.
                            www.bhlegend.com for anyone who wants the PC version.
                            The game appears to crash whenver I get my first tech. I think it is a sound problem.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Better start practising fighting will sharp sticks then.

Comment

Working...
                              X