Gaming Evolutionary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud
    Would Powermonger be a lot like Ultimate Domain?

-
    And one could argue that the old text based games came before Sundog
    True, except they aren't space combat/trade games.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Are we trying to list games which were notable milestones? A lot of these seem to be just lists of sequels that added little or nothing to the genres.

PC Gamer did a history of gaming chart about a year ago that did a good job of really pinpointing groundbreaking games. Unfortunately I didn't bother to keep it and it was much more than just linear progression chains so tricky to describe even if I still had it.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

the most important for me is wolf3d->doom->doom2->quake1->quake2->quake3 of course that's just id games but they basically are the deathmatch fps market
        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
          Personaly, I gave up on FPS games, their lack of SP replay value is insulting. The last FPS games were AvPGE and Q3. I predict that in a few years, FPS games will go the way of the dodo. Just my prediction.
          you'll be wrong with that prediction. anyhow, fps games have been pretty weak lately. most single player fps rely on pre-scripted events so you can only need to play them once to get the full experience. the problem isn't that this is bad but that the only real improvement in today's fps games are graphics(more or less), and not gameplay(which is why your dodo prediction seems on the mark). the only thing really keeping fps games a float is the fact that they are so well suited and built for multiplayer. if civ had the same ease of use, modability, and playability as quake 3 people would play it for years to come.

i was going to write a lot more but i wouldn't want to get too far off topic like last time.
          Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Starcraft->Homeworld->Armada2->O.R.B.

Comment

you should be more specific about dune being the first RTS - Dune was an adventure game. Dune 2 was the first main-stream RTS game. i say main-stream because there is proven accounts of true RTS games that came out before Dune 2, however it was Dune 2 that really began the RTS genre by making it popular.

Comment

Extinct game categories:

Side-scrolling beat-em-ups.
                Isometric platformers.
                Side-scrolling RPGs.

Soon to be extinct:

Turn-based strategy games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                  Soon to be extinct:

Turn-based strategy games.
                  I don't know. There's still a big following for them, and as long as high quality TBS titles exist, the community will continue to exist.

Same was being said of adventure games years ago, but they are still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                    Extinct game categories:

Side-scrolling beat-em-ups.
                    Anyone remember Renegade?

Comment

I just saw a TV ad for the new Contra game. It looks good, and looks to be another step in the evolution of side scrollers (which still do exist).

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                        I don't know. There's still a big following for them, and as long as high quality TBS titles exist, the community will continue to exist.

Same was being said of adventure games years ago, but they are still around.
                        I think its the other way around. As soon as a developer muses about turning a sequel into a real time game because they think it will be cooler that way, their fans scream at them to get their grubby mitts off. Some styles of game simply work better as turn based where you get ample planning opportunity without having to slap the pause button like a demented monkey.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Would Powermonger be a lot like Ultimate Domain?
                          Not sure what Ultimate Domain looks like, but it sort of looks like Populus minus the gods.

Adventure Games: Noninteractive (IE excludes Kings/Space Quest)
                          Zork I
                          Zork II
                          Zork III
                          Zork IV
                          Zork V
                          Zork VI
                          Return to Zork
                          Myst
                          Zork: Grand Inquisitor
                          Riven
                          The Longest Journey
                          Myst III
                          Syberia
                          Ah, this was a biggie. The first one was Adventure, followed by Zork: the Great Undergound Empire (this was later divided into Zork I and Zork II when it was ported over to microcomputers. Then there's a whole bunch of stuff written by Scott Adams (no relation to Dilbert's author as far as I can determine) such as Adventureland and Pirate Adventure. After a while Infocom came into play, who brought us some of the best text-based adventures ever produced. Other than the early Zork games, other ones include:

Wishbringer
                          The Spellbreaker trilogy. I think the other two are Enchanter and Sorcerer, but don't quote me on that.
                          Starcross
                          Deadline (there's another detective one like it)
                          Planetfall
                          Leather Goddess of Phobos

Don't forget the Lucasfilm ones such as Sam and Max, several Monkey Island games, and some others. Ask Snapcase, he's an expert on them.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

WarCraft II - Total Annihilation - Warlords Battlecry - Warlords Battlecry II

Wolf3D - Doom - Duke3D - Jedi Knight - Serious Sam
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Okay, I've fixed the Dune problem- thanks=- I never knew that Dune 2 was the RTS!

-
                              Ultimate Domain- you rule a city- 6x6 squares and build until you can send out settlers to found another city 6x6... It doesn't have the god qualities- but it has the city-manager/populous qualities... Actually, the more I think about it- it's more like Sim City than Populous.

-
                              Deadline (there's another detective one like it)
                              ...And it's descendants-
                              The Dagger of Amon Ra
                              Phantom of the Opera
                              Gabriel Knight
                              Gabriel Knight II
                              Gabriel Knight III

and the spinnoffs
                              Phantsmagoria
                              Shivers
                              Phantsmagoria II (althought PII is really more of a regression than a progression )
                              Last edited by DarkCloud; November 14, 2002, 22:54.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X