Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up with all the friggin expansion packs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with all the friggin expansion packs?

Is this just a new way for they to make money? The Sims? Operation Flashpoint? Tom Clancy games?

(Didnt they used to have these things out on patches?)

More cash is basically what expansion packs are all about. And less risk / problems than creating a completely new game from scratch.
    Still, many people feel that the new functions added by the expansion pack(s) are worth the money.

Patches are now usually to just fix the bugs they missed previously.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yeah - patches merely turn the original cr*p into something of 'merchantable quality' some countries have laws about this - not apparently the States?!

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

An expansion pack to add another 50 hours gameplay I can handle, and I have no objection at all to paying £20 for that. The more recent trend of bundling patches, fixes and all the features that didn't make the cut date for the original software I find detestable.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

A decent expansion pack can easily double the life of a game. For example, I've played Diablo 2 far more since the expansion came out - the game dramatically improved IMHO.

Not all expansion packs are good, though, especially when they are just glorified patches.
          Or when they include huge features that were glaringly missing from the original release *cough* Civ3 multiplayer *cough*.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I haven't found expansion packs to be of much value at all. I have 3 expansion packs for the Sims, 2 of which came with the original. Added a bit to the game, but not much. The 3rd expansion I bought for my g/f. It didn't add much to the game, but there were some indirect benefits to me buying it.

EDIT: Actually, the Starcraft expansion was worth the price. A whole new single-player campaign to go through, and as a bonus some extra units to play with. Lots of fun.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It depends how much you enjoy the original game I suppose. If you love the original then you might be happy to just have more-of-the-same with a few new twists and some pretty graphics.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Expansion Packs. However, some companies call their expansions 'sequels' and charge twice the usual expansion price for them.

Comment

Oh yeah, before I forget....

/me throws a pie at Skanky for buying the Sims, even if it did have some 'fringe benefits'

Comment

I dunno. I'd say I think the expacks that weren't planned as the "real" game since before the original game came out are OK. Unfortunately, we seem to be having a trend toward the other kind right now.

If this goes on, I'll have to stop buying games when they are released and wait for gold editions. Pity.
                  "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                  "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                    Oh yeah, before I forget....

* FrustratedPoet throws a pie at Skanky for buying the Sims, even if it did have some 'fringe benefits'

Your gift is accepted.
                    Although choccy cake is the traditional bribe treat.

If this goes on, I'll have to stop buying games when they are released and wait for gold editions. Pity.

That happened to me when buying the Settlers 2. A few months after I got it they released the gold edition which was basically the full version + a map editor - but it was still full price.
                    Settlers 3, same thing again.

Settlers 4 I vowed the same thing would not happen, and decided to wait for the gold edition to come out.
                    Unfortunately (for them) I have since lost interest in the game.
                    Last edited by Skanky Burns; October 7, 2002, 20:56.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with expansion packs that extend the gameplay or enjoyability of the program (Starcraft's expansion, probably the Morrowind expansion), and I've never bought a game that made you pay for a glorified patch (since I don't tend to buy that many games, overall, and so I'm extremely careful about what purchases I make).
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

It depends. Alien Crossfire is a good expansion pack. No idea about Brood Wars because the original solo campaigns bored me out of my skull
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR: If you learn Starcraft for free, like I did, with Brood War, you can't begin to imagine going back to the original. Besides, it's 12 for the original and 20 for both, so why not get both?

And the real fun in SC isn't the campaign, it's multiplayer. Erg, Protoss without Dark Templar or Terrans without Valkyries- hard to imagine! Ugh!
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I like quite many expansion packs (I remind Civ II players of all the nice features available with Conflicts in Civillization, Fantastic Worlds and Civ II Multiplayer).

Railroad Tycoon II - The Second Century

Great add-on to RT2. You'll get a new campaign, scenarios, locomotives, cargo and carriages. In general it adds more value to RT2.

Heroes of Might and Magic III Armageddon's Blade

New scenarios, but also several other nice new things. Not as great value for the money as TSC, but nice for HOMM3 MP.

Expansion packs I await...

Civ III Play the World
                            MOHAA Spearhead
                            IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
                            Last edited by Rasbelin; October 8, 2002, 02:29.
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Features that didn't meet the shipping date :hmm:

sounds like Empire Earth's and Civ III's expansion packs :thumbsdown: :P

Civ III should have been better than Civ II... it should have had more; or at least been as much perfected- as it was; it was almost as good as Civ II, but its graphics were horrid; its mechanics flawed- its design ideas trash, etc, etc, etc, and it had no MP- rip off!!! And less civs!!!! and didn't let you play with 10 or more at once!!!
                              An option to CREATE OWN CIV would have been perfect!!!

Firaxis gave us LESS- not MORE with tehir expansion and thin kthat htaye can remedy that in the xpansion pack... they are such idiotic money-grubbing capitalists- they don't deserve our money.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X