Why all the fuss about Resident Evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the fuss about Resident Evil?

I bought the game on account of all the fuss that surrounded it. I never before played the game but I bought it for the GC and I must say that I am thoroughly dissapointed?! There are somethings like the graphics and the sound maybe even the story that makes this game good. Especially the graphics, they are the best I've seen on a console game. On the downside though, I find its inventory system tedious and foolish, the camera angles are difficult to cope with, after playing it for hours I still cannot walk straight . You spend virtually hours pendling btwn locations in order to get to the inventory boxes. I also find it difficult not not have enough ammo. I mean there could be a level where one should be able to find lots of it and kinda play the game through without having to put up with "ammo management". I guess if I was a student and had all the time in the world I might not mind but that's why there should be different levels. As it now stands in the easy level I do have my difficulties with it. Another grip and that's a big one is doors! I mean show it once for the effect or once for every door but everytime?! Anyway, I am not sure if you people like the game or not but I must say that I paid my 59,99€ for it and I know that I could've done without it despite the good looks and the interesting story. Although it serves to me as a prelude to what is to come for the GC.

So long...
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

I agree with you 100%.

(I must admit, however, that I've always hated Resident Evil games - I only tried this one because my brother bought it for his GameCube - so my opinion might be a little biased)

BTW, the door effect is a loading screen. Something has to go there while the game loads the next room ... a blank screen ... a 'please wait' sign ... whatever. You're right though, they are extremely annoying.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Never played President Evil, but I enjoyed the film.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I've just put up mine for sale. It's a pity because usually I rent the game for a day or so just to make sure that I like it and then I go out and buy. This time I rushed and bought it over Amazon, at least Apolyton got something out of it since I always use the links. It seems that we do not have a lot of RE fans around here. Funny thing is that I've heard a lot of Playstation people were dissapointed that Capcom took the series to the GC!!!

So long...
        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
            Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

SG[1]
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I have it, and I must say I found it as an extremely enjoyable game. With the ammo, of course you don't have much. It's supposed to feel like a survival game -- If you're armed to the teeth, that effect goes away. However, if you don't want to worry about ammo, just beat the game on normal in under five hours -- you get a bottomless clip weapon.

As for walking, try control setup "C". It takes getting used to, but it's much easier overall.

And the door animation -- at least it's better than silent hill; footsteps across the screen.
              Talent Optional

Comment

I love RE , killing zombies is always good fun!

In fact, I've got the entire series of the PC version!
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Skanky, are you practicing to be a parrot?
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

He's pining for the fjords.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I know that it is a survival game. But in "normal Mode" it should be a ... ...bit less of a survival game so that people that do not have all the time on earth any longer (oh how much I envy students) can still play it. Anyway I did play a few hours tonight because I set it up for sale on Amazon and somebody bought it within the hour!!! It's not a bad game but the thing that I hate most is not the so much the lack of enough ammo but the inventory system and a little less the perspective 8with all the different angles that can be confusing). All in all a good game with excellent graphics and a very good atmosphere (especially in the dark and with the dolby surround) but not more than a B because of the problems mentioned above!

So long...

Comment

You just expressed my situation so well...
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I love this game, I didn't play the original so it's totally new to me. Especially the ending is ultra cool, really cliché indeed, but hey, it's a video game so it works.

I didn't find the "ammo management" very annoying, how suspenseful would it be if you cold just wander about shooting grenade shells at everything that moved?

As for the inventory system, is there any better system? It would be unrealistic to carry along all items you ever find, and being able to drop an item (which will be implemented in RE0) seems like a nightmare to me, imagine discovering you have to use a key you dropped in the mansion 3F when you're in the laboratory...

Comment

Well, I don't think much about realism when it comes to a ZOMBIE game. But besides that the inventory system is much more unrealistic the way it's implemented. I mean you go into one room with the inventory box deposit items there then walk to the other side of the mansion and find another box and voilá the same items appear in this box . I don't see that as realistic and besides is very not really practical and the best solution would be if they had striked a better balance btwn the two (realistic and practical).

Well I'd say not as suspensfull but surely enjoyable for a lot of people. I at least would've played it to the end, as it now stands I spend 6+ hours to go the first boss and I stopped it.

So long...

Comment

Nice Resident Evil movie.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X