Rate the consoles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate the consoles!

First we need to establish the consoles that have existed. The ones I recall are:

Commodore 64 (was this a console or PC?)
    Atari 2600
    Intellivision
    NES
    Sega Master System (Felch)
    Supernintendo
    N64
    Sega Dreamcast
    Neo-Geo
    Atari Jaguar
    Sony Playstation
    Playstation 2
    X-Box
    Gamecube
    Sega CD (JM)
    Sega 32X (JM)
    Sega Genesis (Felch)

please feel free to add to this list.

what's it is done we will try to decide which was the most successful, to the least.
    Last edited by November Adam; September 11, 2002, 12:49.
    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

top three
    are Sega, Supernintendo, and Playstation

you forgot Sega CD, Sega 32x

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

NES and Commodore were the only ones I ever owned (Commodore was so useless as a computer that I'd say that it counts as a console), and NES was (without doubt) better than Commodore. I'd say that the NES was among the best consoles ever (taking time period into account, obviously X-Box games are almost always better than NES games). Contra was my favorite NES game, Raid Over Moscow was my favorite Commodore game.

I've played Super Nintendo at friends' houses and on emulators. I don't think it was a big enough improvement over the NES to warrant being "successful," more it was a mild improvement over the NES. Still a good system, though, with some fantastic games (Zelda: Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI were two of my favorites).

Didn't play much Atari or Sega, and never played Neo-Geo, Intellivision, or Jaguar.

N64 was an excellent system, with MarioKart and Zelda: Ocarina of Time being my two favorite titles. Goldeneye was also enjoyable for multiplayer death.

Deamcast was a good system, but IMO didn't have enough variety in its games.

I lump Playstation in with Playstation 2. Excellent system, past its prime at this point but with some of the best game variety. Favorite titles were GTA III and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Timesplitters was good for multiplayer death/drinking games. (We discovered that you could combine a drinking game with a handicapping system by having the winner of a round take a shot/chug a beer. Eventually the skilled players would begin to lose reaction time from imbibing alcohol, and the less skilled Timesplitters players would begin to win more often. The key with this system is that you use timed matches, not "first to X number of kills" matches, because the latter matches sometimes end too quickly and cause the skilled players to take another drink before their previous drinks have taken effect.)
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

The N64 control pad is still the best I have used.

There were some home versions of Pong way back in olden days.Kinduva console but it only played Pong.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Sega had an 8-bit Master System (Megadrive I think outside the US) and the better known 16-bit Genesis.

Man, and some people don't believe me when I tell them I'm a geek.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

when I said Sega (in my favorites area) I was refering to the Genesis

and I should probably add NES

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

i think you forget the SNES
              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I'd say the Playstation was the best. The games that came out for it were varied and good and it also seemed to have a long shelf life.

If you are going to include the Commodore then what about the Spectrum. I guess it was more of a computer but I only used it for games.

Also, at the moment I would not rate the X Box that highly as the games that have appeared so far for it haven't really grabbed me (there seem to be alot of driving games), although this isnt helped by the fact games appear in the States months before the UK as I'm quite looking foward to Silent Hill 2 and the Elder Scrolls).

Comment

SNES is all there is.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Nah the Supernintendo is what I had for the SNES.

So is that all of them?

How should I create a rating system? I don't think a pure poll would work.

How about you each cut and copy the systems I have and put a rank beside each. 1 being the best.
                    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Sega Genesis = Sega Megadrive (in Europe) = best console ever

You also forgot Sega's 32bit console, Saturn

And two others: the 3DO and the CD-I by Philips

And Nintendo also made some crappy monochrome "3D" console just before the Playstation/Saturn arrived IIRC, but I don't remember the name
                      In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                      In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

nes is the best, then there's that nasty gameboy with that even nastier tetris!!! now THAT was a sweet game!

consoles suck big time though..
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                        X