remembering ALTERNATE REALITY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remembering ALTERNATE REALITY

Anyone remember this? it was a game series I used to play on my commodore.

I first got hooked with THE DUNGEON, and after spending all sorts of time with that, exploring, I got THE CITY, so I would be able to play the series from the beginning.

the games were supposed to be all interlinked, so you could enter one part from another. for example, you could save your game in the city at a certain location, like the sewer entrance, and then import your character into the dungeon.

I ended up not liking the city as much, and ended up playing the dungeon a lot more. I got so far in that game, and without any internet hints or guide books. some of my high points were defeating the dragon, and getting a special weapon made at the dwarven smithy.

I even played as an evil guy for a while, so I could rob the vault under the city bank.

I eventually quit playing because the devourer was driving me nuts.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I had the Atari version of the City. I have the The City on my hard drive now as a matter of fact.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I played Alternate Reality once on an Atari before. The story looked interesting. IIRC, you are abducted by an alien ship and taken to their planet. So you will first need to survive, then figure out why they grabbed you and find a way back to Earth.

I suppose they tried to make a series of interlinked games because they couldn't fit all the data on those diskettes of yesteryear. Nowadays RPG worlds can be - and often are - staggeringly large.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The only one of these I ever saw was The City. I knew there was supposed to be an interlocking series, but I always thought the other titles never made it off the drawing board.

I got tired of The City pretty quick. It seemed to be an endless maze of virtually identical corridors and rooms.
        "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

You also seemed to die relatively easy.
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yeah, The City wasn't a whole lot of fun.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
            X