Clear All

• Sid speaks

Just found this on usenet. Jeff Vitou (www.wargamer.com head honcho) wrote:

Make of this what you will:

Today Sid Meier addressed a crowd at GenCon with two questions:

"Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
    "Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"

He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big
    announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a month away
    (he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW ships).
    Ha! I'm salivating already!
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

I posted this a few hours ago on the community forum

We still don't know much about it. It may still contain X-COM/Settlers elements like originalyl reported.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Darn you! Why don't you post it where it belongs!

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it.
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Because that is where all the other Firaxis related info has been posted. It was also suggested I post finding about the next SidGame there.
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Well if Sid heads it up, Ill buy it.
          "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Well I can say yes to the first one. I just don't see Sid doing a sequel, I mean Firaxis might, but he won't and I would think their next project was designed by him following his completion of SimGolf.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

He didn't have that much input in Pirates as many people think (though he still had a great deal). He was working on about 3 different games at the time. Pirates is old too and this new version with elements from MoM would allow him to head up this project dispite his dislike of sequels.

If you are wondering what Sid was doing right after Sim Golf, the answer is X-COM. We don't know if that project was totally scrapped or just evolved into something else though.

Comment

Masters of Magical Piracy?

Comment

They have computer games at Gencon too?! Darn my roommate! He does not properly appreciate what he could have seen, not being of the true strat gamer fold!
                  All syllogisms have three parts.
                  Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                    Masters of Magical Piracy?
                    I pirated Master of Magic years ago. j/k

Seriously, I'm glad Sid didn't announce or hint a remake of Colonization. It means that the Col2 Project isn't doomed.
                    Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
                    Have a look here !
                    New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Originally posted by chronocrator
                      Seriously, I'm glad Sid didn't announce or hint a remake of Colonization. It means that the Col2 Project isn't doomed.
                      How's that coming by the way?
                      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

As I have said, it can be very interesting depending on how Sid mixes things up.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by chronocrator

I pirated Master of Magic years ago. j/k

Yeah really, whatever happened to that?

Hmm I dont think sid would redo col, its much more brian's baby.
                          "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Maybe it's going to be a combination of the two games - Pirates of Magic or somesuch.
                            Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                            Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

How's that coming by the way?
                              It depends, we're really not far code-wise but we're progressing, there are still a lot of people interested. The first graphics are appearing... I think the Col2 Project will make even if it'll take a while longer. Any help especially from C++ programmers is appreciated. Commments and ideas are also welcome.
                              Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
                              Have a look here !
                              New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Working...
                              X