Funny moments in the Monkey Island series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny moments in the Monkey Island series

Prompted by discussion in another thread: What are your favourite moments in any of the Monkey Island games?

I'll start with the easy one to get it out of the way. The insult swordfighting in Monkey Island 1 still brings tears to my eyes.

I am rubber, you are glue.

...how appropriate, you fight like a cow!

Yes the insult sword fights were a really funny idea.

I especially thought the fake endings were good - only after realizing that I did not really die though.

My favourite part of the series was the first, BTW, I love the story of it. Everything Guybrush does turn out to be senseless in the end:
    - he wants to become a pirate, but the pirates are gone just when he's achieved the 3 requirements
    - on Monkey Island Guybrush tries to find the root to use it on Le Chuck, but he the ghostpirat is gone when Guybrush finds it
    - back to Melee Island(tm) where Guybrush tries to prevent the marriage of Le Chuck and Elaine only to find out that "Elaine" consists of two apes

In the end Guybrush defeats Le Chuck with a can of rootbeer.
    Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
    Have a look here !
    New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Hehe, and ends up with lots of assorted riches..............which get stolen by Largo before you even start Monkey Island 2.

Comment

are they called "lots of assorted riches" in english?

Comment

I think they were called assorted riches, but it's been a few years. IIRC you had lots of gold, cash, jewellery etc but if you moved the cursor over them it said assorted riches. Then you moved to the bridge and got robbed. Why, what were they called in the German version?

Damn this thread, I can't get the tune to 'The Largo Embargo' out of my head now.

Comment

You have the manners of an ape!

My daughter votes for the part in Curse Of Monkey Island where Guybrush gets swallowed by the snake.

Curse was full of good spots, one I liked was when you release the fold-up bed, sending the corpse parachuting down into the tomb.

Peeling the map to blood island off the agents sunburned back (eewwwwww....)

Monkey island 2 - chasing the piece of the map from elaine's place to the cliff edge, only to have it stolen by the seagull. Dang.

Monkey Island 2 again. stuffing that huge dog under your overcoat. Grin.
            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Monkey Island 1 - Being underwater for a few minutes whilst tied to an idol, with many assorted sharp objects just out of reach. Then two pirates are on the walkway above you discussing about throwing their knife into the ocean (where you would be able to grab it, and cut your way to freedom). They decide not to, and walk away.

On Monkey Island itself, moving to the edge of the cliff, having the rock break underneath you and falling to your death - or so you think.

Being captured by the cannibals time after time after time, and watching as the door becomes more reinforced each time.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                Monkey Island 1 - Being underwater for a few minutes whilst tied to an idol, with many assorted sharp objects just out of reach. Then two pirates are on the walkway above you discussing about throwing their knife into the ocean (where you would be able to grab it, and cut your way to freedom). They decide not to, and walk away.
                Haha I'd forgotten this, a classic moment. The cannibals and the reinforced door is another good one.

Since noone has picked an EFMI moment the way every time a character says the words "ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND" they say them in a movie title type way, which cracked me up.

Comment

That shot could have come from the grassy knoll...

The part in Curse, when you get on the ship, and the crew bursts into this spontaneous musical number.

The funniest part of all was in Curse, where guybrush adds hangover remedy to a drink and croaks on the spot. then the graveyard caretaker shows up to haul guybrush away, and says "I thought you weren't supposed to die in a Lucasarts (tm) adventure game."
                  Goodsoup replies, "well, maybe they're trying something new".

then guybrush gets put in the tomb, and you see on the screen:
                  "You are dead"
                  "You scored 0 out of 300 points."
                  the it starts ROLLING THE CREDITS while guybrush is protesting from within the coffin.

I about died laughing with that one.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Lol yeah, curse had some funny moments but overall I thought it was relatively the weakest of the 4.

Comment

No! Not the RED BUTTON!!

I always thought Curse was the funniest of the three I've tried. Although sometimes I think Secret is funnier. weaker, I can't say...

You've inspired me. I'm going to make some room on my hard drive and install Escape, which I recently picked up for 10$.

From Secret: when Stan meets you on the dock and you gaze out at your new ship. he puts his arm around your shoulders and a shooting star goes by over head just after Stan says "I think we're having a moment here."

Then one of the masts falls off.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I liked curse, but I think both for puzzles and humour it wasn't in the league of the others. It's so hard to compare games across long time periods though. I haven't played SOMI1 since my amiga days.

You wont regret buying EFMI, it's great. The only possible criticism is the many many in-jokes that turned off some new players. But for me (and probably for you) they just made the game even funnier. Also the game has some of the best puzzles in any adventure game ever.

Comment

The Lost Welshman.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And the mask of Tofu.

Some of the funnier scenes I remember at the moment
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              I've heard that you will actually die during that scene if you just stay underwater long enough (10 min IIRC). I've never tried it but that would be the only way to really die in any MI game or perhaps even in every LucasArts Adventure.
                              Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
                              Have a look here !
                              New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Working...
                              X